On body or off body while driving in the car

I use a magnetic :magnet: holster so I am off body in the car. I donā€™t want to be messing around my seatbelt if I have to draw in a hurry to defend myself or family.

I travel a lot for work and have been thinking about getting the quick draw magnet to place my glock on long commutes. Are these magnets legal to hold firearms or can it only be placed in a holster? I live in Texas.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/tx-gun-laws/

Carry in vehicle?

Yes, without a license as of Sept. 1, 2021. However, it is an offense if it is in plain view, unless it is in a holster and you are either 21 years old or have a Texas LTC or a permit that Texas honors and provided you are not engaging in a criminal activity (other than a traffic violation). There are exemptions for peace officers, military, and other security and governmental professionals.*

[Texas Penal Code Ā§Ā§ 46.02(a-1) and 46.15]

1 Like

It looks like @Nathan57 found the answer for you @Martin82 for Texas. I cannot speak with any authority to any jurisdictions outside of Kentucky. I can say absolutely it is legal in Kentucky to use magnet mounts for firearms. That said, be careful about leaving a firearm in a car, especially one that would be visible to someone walking by the vehicle.

Fun fact in Kentucky. When is a concealed deadly weapon not a concealed deadly weapon? KRS 527.020(8)

A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed
concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container,
compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by
its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console,
or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or
compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism.

Why? Because the law says so!

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. Yes I will be carrying in my vehicle and I do have my ltc. I just wanted to double check before I mount one in my truck.

Because I donā€™t have a mounted holster in the car, it remains on-body.

1 Like

Carry on

This is crazy, what have this world come to.

1 Like

All I can think of is ā€œjust because they think they can get away with itā€. :angry:
Find the weakest on in the herd and harass them till they fall down, classic predator behavior.

1 Like

So true, itā€™s just sad when peoples do things like this to the elderly or childrenā€™s that canā€™t defend themselves.

I carry with the seat belt on as worn with the lines behind the grip. This way it doesnā€™t interfere with the firearm or cause a hammer slip on my XDE 9mm. Even if it is on safe! Still.
Another reason I carry this way , should I ever be pulled over I can remove it from my waist line before an officer exits his vehicle and drop it to my floor board.
That way it is not in the way if I have to remove my seat belt. My registration / insurance/ and DL are where I can reach overhead and not into compartments. In my state an officer isnā€™t supposed to asked but I would also include my CCW license in case an officer wanted me to exit the vehicle. It just makes everything honest and safe.

1 Like

Good for you. I admire a real he-man.

1 Like

You donā€™t think an officer will ask you what you dropped on the floor. Good luck with that.

1 Like

Some peeples dew dumb thangs.

1 Like

Many people, such as myself, drive vehicles where it would not be possible to see taht action from a trailing vehicle.

ā€¦or the officer asks, and he answers ā€œmy holstered firearm itā€™s on the floorā€ and, as Aaron40 stated, reaching for the seat belt or a pocket would not be towards the firearm

2 Likes

Recently tried shoulder holster. As a right handed person, driving in the USA, I found it comfortable, and ergonomically, easier to grasp, and have on the ready, God Forbid if I ever had to grab it. Plus, I can exit and enter, and not worry about forgetting or having to lock it inside the vehicle. Plus if ever in a car collision, Iā€™d have it on me and less worry about where it fell or flew to whereby others would touch with without my permission.

4 Likes

Key points:
Before the Officer exits their vehicle my firearm would be removed because it is located near my seat belt release ( Iā€™m right handed).
Submit my CCW with my license-registration-insurance that is located on my visor. Hands are visible.
If the Officer asked where the firearm is clarify where and why it was removed.
The key here is out of reach so if the officer asked me to exit the vehicle I will not have to reach where my pistol is located on me. I keep it on my side since 2020

3 Likes

Itā€™s on my body or locked unloaded in a safe in the car. If loaded, never off my body.

3 Likes

I carry on and off in various combinations

1 Like

What about Alien Gear shoulder holster pros and cons! Im thinking about it or iwb on my left side position

2 Likes