Ohio Constitutional Carry

I am moving from Philly, PA to Lorain OH soon…I do have a PA permit which will become void once I establish residency in Ohio. I plan on getting a CHL for the sake of reciprocity. However I will rely on the constitution of Ohio in the mean time.

Can any Ohio Folks share their experience or thoughts on Ohio CC?

Thanks.

4 Likes

@Anthony325 A good overview of Ohio’s laws. :slightly_smiling_face:
Good luck on your move.

Ohio Concealed Carry Gun Laws & CHL | USCCA CCW Reciprocity Map(Last Updated 03/15/2022) (usconcealedcarry.com)

3 Likes

Thank you @BRUCE26

2 Likes

Good luck brother. Stay safe.

Interesting topic I actually did not know a CCW becomes “void” once you relocate. I actually have non-expired CCW’s from 4 different states, mostly where I own rental homes. I just carry the best CCW for the current state im in. Each CCW extends differently as to the states that honor reciprocity. I’m retired and live full time RV. Im never in the same state more then 6 months. I receive my mail at rotating virtual mailboxs and dont consider any state home.

4 Likes

Are you a military veteran? I ask because if you are then you can just take your dd-214 and get it

1 Like

I am not, I do have the required training of 6 hrs class/2 hrs range that I took from a USCCA instructor in Philly, so I got an email going with both that instructor, and one that teaches for Ohio CHL going so they can share notes and determine if the certificate i got in PA satisfies OH.

I think they might be void if you inform the issuing authority you no longer live there. I do not factually know this, but i do know at least in PA your required to inform of address changes. Although I read other post that say you can not notify, and its good until it expires, But I would see it being awkward if you are pulled over and show a permit with one address on it, and a DL with a different address being not in the same state as conceal carry permit.

That makes sense, good input. I guess my world as former military with my near 30 years has always been a little different. I just cant settle in one location. I have never informed any state or country of my departure, l have no clue that was even a thing or how to actually do that. Along the way with military moves I kept picking up new homes in different states (which at one time was my short term residence) then I rent them out. I have also picked up new CCW in different states most expire with 10+ years after issue.

I actually never had anything matching while active duty as its not a requirement currently I have TX license plates, NJ driver license, AL car insurance & im currently living in TN, heading to OK soon. Most everything can be renewed online. All of my mail goes to a virtual mail service (way better then a PO box) which is all collected and foward on demand to my current location. You can for say im complicated :grin:

1 Like

Pro tip… if your in the middle of a relocating, dont have an address yet, nobody to temp receive your mail, or on endless travel I recommend a virtual mailbox. They give you ablity to receive or hold your mail anywhere as well as giving you ablity to trash, shred or view your mail online. I used to struggle with P.O. boxes, my life has changed since I went virtual.

1 Like

Can you recommend one?

Be careful, many states’ permits are indeed void once you are no longer a resident of that state.

With the current setup of states you listed (NJ resident/license), I suspect you wouldn’t be able to legally carry anywhere other than Constitutional/permitless. But I’m not a lawyer

1 Like

To me, NJ is a black hole like NY. Even Delaware at least has started to loosen up I believe. I remember 20 years ago you could not get a permit.

1 Like

A peek at things to come in Ohio. :thinking:
P.S. The guy was a bit of an idiot but still not a criminal.

A Heavily Armed Man Caused Panic at a Supermarket. But Did He Break the Law? (msn.com)

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have done all that. I’m going to be pragmatic in how I conduct myself outdoors. He may be taking full advantage of his legal rights in this case, but is it the best thing to do? I can open carry in PA, but do i want to cause alarm to everyone I pass by? or get thrown down on the floor by cops every time some pass by?

1 Like

Exactly, the saying we use here most is “just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. :thinking:

1 Like

Well, I guess I am in the right place.

1 Like

I dont want to endorse any but I use PostsScanMail only because they ran a special deal when i started it. If you google virtual mailbox you can find a handful of different companies that offer same service I would suggest just to check them all out as they are --virtually- the same :rofl:

1 Like

Makes sense I really should try to consolidate my info for legal purposes. Its hard to establish “residence” when you live on the road. Many states want to see you receive mail to a physical address to actually get their license so renewing what I have is the easy route. Im thinking to use one of my OH or TX rentals as my home base to consolidate

2 Likes

It hard to understand why they are charging this guy, when the store has been robbed at gunpoint 6 times, and they found the perps dead body outside the store with the cash…now they did let the clerk bail out with no bond payment required…
A Dollar General clerk is charged with manslaughter after police say he shot and killed an armed robber. The clerk said it was the 6th attempted armed robbery at the store since August. (msn.com)

1 Like