Off-Duty Pentagon Officer Charged in Fatal Shooting of 2 Robbery Suspects in Maryland

Off-Duty Pentagon Officer Charged in Fatal Shooting of 2 Robbery Suspects in Maryland Off-Duty Pentagon Officer Charged in Fatal Shooting of 2 Robbery Suspects in Maryland

2 Likes

Can I have an account I can use to read it? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like
2 Likes

@Jerzees Here’s a link to the Washington Post article https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/pentagon-officer-charged-murder-takoma-park/2021/04/09/b89a15f8-9936-11eb-a6d0-13d207aadb78_story.html

3 Likes

“But the investigation concluded the officer actually discharged his gun after the danger had passed, according to charging documents. An autopsy showed the bullets struck the victims in their upper backs.”

One of my favorite shows featured the late James B. Towle,
Stop The Threat.
The title of the show is a great reminder of our goal.
When the threat is no longer present, no more action is required. I guess that’s what distinguishes self-defense from homicide.

5 Likes

They say "If you can not find anything good to say… He was a good shot. :+1:

3 Likes

Maybe he was using the fleeing felon rule:

Under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, a police officer may use deadly force to prevent the escape of a fleeing suspect only if the officer has a good-faith belief that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

See court decision on its application in Tennessee v. Garner.

The Tennessee statute is unconstitutional insofar as it authorizes the use of deadly force against, as in this case, an apparently unarmed, nondangerous fleeing suspect; such force may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

4 Likes

@Dave17

He was off-duty at the time, possibly why he was referred to as a “citizen.”

2 Likes

Police technically are never “off-duty”; however, I was being facetious. Also, if you read the quotes I included, they show that the shooting was not likely legally justified.

2 Likes

Glad I never work for that department

3 Likes