Notice of suspension for CWL

According to the CWL rules in Florida a person is disqualified if they have 2 DUI convictions in a period of three years. I get a notice they have suspended my application about a DUI I had over 32 years ago in South Carolina when I was in the Navy. I sent a letter back to our Department of Agriculture and and customer services. I do not dispute I broke the law many years ago, but the way the letter is worded, if I don’t request a hearing then they will deny my CWL. I am not going to roll over and play dead for these clowns. And of course if you call them you are on hold forever. Is it like the old Warren Zevon song named bring lawyers, guns, and money?

5 Likes

@Steve116. Wow I bet that was a shock :grimacing: I hope it all works out for you.

3 Likes

Just hope I don’t have to go from Orlando To Tallahassee Florida. I wouldn’t have applied for the CWL if I didn’t have a chance. But thank you brother, I have faith it will work out. I will be a man and admit my transgressions from the past.

3 Likes

Lawyers, Guns and Money…excellent tune @Steve116!

5 Likes

By the way Nick congrats on getting your permit!

3 Likes

Thanks man!

2 Likes

They did respond. I have logistic problems and I’m in the stone age as far as that goes. Talked to someone in Wisconsin and they did the best they could. It’s up to me and I’ll give an update when that happens.

5 Likes

The actual wording on the application is: “You are NOT ELIGIBLE for a Florida concealed weapon license if you answer YES to any one of these questions pertaining to committal for controlled substance abuse, committal for alcohol abuse, or DUI conviction DURING THE THREE YEARS PRECEDING THE DATE ON WHICH YOU SUBMITTED YOUR APPLICATION.”

So what happened 32 years ago should not be grounds for denial.

Good luck! Hope it works out.

2 Likes

That’s what i read brother. I will go to Tallahassee with my head held high. Maybe someone smells the coffee!

3 Likes

Hmmmm 32 years, looks ripe for a typo…good luck

2 Likes

Good morning - quick point of clarification - I spoke with our people in the office who work with the reciprocity map and in the state the member was in reach out and talk to the member, not one of the attorneys from our network.

As a member, you can definitely reach out to the attorneys on our Attorney list about other issues, but your USCCA membership benefits would not be able to assist unless it was a self-defense incident.

Just wanted to be sure we’re all on the same page. :smiley:

6 Likes

You don’t have to put on your big bird suit and tell me which way the wind blows. I am clear on what USCCA membership is. I don’t live in a atmosphere of pro 2A people. I am the lone stranger who has to play by the rules while some criminal does what they please when they please. I want a chance and I want to obey the laws of the republic and the state of Florida. If it is not my right to have a CWL in Florida I will move to a state where the outlaws don’t have the edge on me.

2 Likes