NFL Player Arrested at Airport --- Getting a Permit is not enough - Know the Laws

Even after getting carry permits, many are not informed about Reciprocity Laws. That’s why it’s SO important to continue to educate…which is why USCCA is vitally important!

Here, an NFL player was responsible enough to get a gun permit, but he wasn’t informed about the laws between States, and, about the requirements of transporting firearms on commercial flights.

News Story:
“Williams, who was drafted No. 3 overall by the Jets in 2019, had a permit for the weapon, but it was licensed in Alabama, the spokesperson said. Under New York law, it is generally only legal to carry a concealed weapon in the state if it has a New York license.”

3 Likes

Never expected a NFL player to be intelligent.

5 Likes

@Michael7… you have just made my day happier :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

You know LaGuardia has a special court and prosecutor who do nothing but NYC violations for firearms.

2 Likes

I think that some people assume that a Carry Permit has the same State-to-State authorization as a State issued Driver’s License. Lots of Permit License organization’s out there and my guess is that some do a better job of highlighting Reciprocity than others do. At the end of the day, we are each responsible for our own decisions. Again, this story highlights the fact that even permit holders are not fully aware and educated on the laws, which they are responsible for upholding. Lots of work ahead of us to make sure the permit holder community is educated and operationally sound.

1 Like

Thanks @Zavier_D . I wasn’t aware of that. This article says…

“483 people who have been arrested for possessing a firearm at JFK and LaGuardia airports since 2014.”

2 Likes

It’s not just gun toting, it’s expended brass, an empty magazine, words on TSA approved safe not being right they target out of state fliers and average about $17,000 on fines there’s a video on the site here somewhere.

2 Likes

That’s new information for me…about expended brass and empty magazines.

1 Like

Forgive the slight tangent, but this is a problem for many people. Not understanding be “lawful” in regards to the actual laws, the different laws between city, county, state, and federal, and political double talk taken at face value (on all sides).

As an example, on another forum, there was a discussion about tax brackets and selling used items (not firearm related). Most posters thought that if you bought a $500 item and sold it for $500, that you had no income to report to the IRS, and therefore no taxes apply. This popular misconception of actual laws (both local and federal) seems common with many citizens (and therefore voters) today.

I’ll mention, another example that is common in political talks, is the misconception of the public that a rate increase or decrease means the thing being affected actually goes up or down, respectively. This, of course, is often not the case.

2 Likes

I personally have couple of rules I live by when traveling to totally avoid these types of issues.

I don’t fly anymore unless it is absolutely necessary and then without any weapons (I will buy a throw-a-way knife once I get on the ground).

I do not travel to states I do not have a valid permit for. The exception to this rule is the corners of northern Illinois I live in Wisconsin and I can travel through Illinois with my weapon on me as long as it never leaves the vehicle because I have a valid ccl in my state of residence.

For where I travel currently the only state I personally have to avoid right now is Minnesota (I may jump through the hoops one day and get their permit but don’t have plans on it right now).

Unless there are some major changes in reciprocity laws, I will never see the west coast and will never set foot in a few of the eastern states again.

4 Likes

I love where one of those arrested said that the TSA or airlines should be wearing people that they may be arrested. Nobody can know every law in every jurisdiction, but, there is a legal presumption that you know the laws wherever you happen to be.

“It is elementary that every one is presumed to know the law of the land, whether that be the common law or the statutory law, and hence, one’s ignorance of the law furnishes no defense for criminal acts, and this rule applies whether the crime charged is malum prohibitum or malum in se.” Edwards v. United States, 334 F.2d 360 (5th Cir. 1964).

Yes, everyone is expected to know that the speed limit in a parking lot in KY, unless otherwise posted, is 15 mph and that if there is not a sidewalk, pedestrians are required to walk on the road the opposing the direction of traffic and must yield the right of way to motor vehicles and if there is a center turn lane, all left turns MUST be made from that lane.

3 Likes

I disagree. It is my responsibility to know whether I can carry a weapon at my destination and what size magazines and what kind of ammo may be restricted. I could have been the next person in line behind Mr. Williams and I may be legal while he is not and there is no way for the ticketing agent to know.

5 Likes

I definitely understand. I haven’t had the opportunity to fly after having acquired my LTC in Texas. Not sure how I will handle that. I will say that it felt strange leaving home without my pocket knife the last time that I flew. And, like you, I picked up an inexpensive one after I arrived at my destination.

1 Like

@MikeBKY I’ve only had my Texas LTC for about 18 months. Maybe I’m overly-conscious of the fact that I’m concealed-carrying, but I can’t imagine going to an airport and flying without seriously considering the legality. Maybe the “permit class” that he took in Alabama didn’t highlight the differences in laws across States, although I’d be shocked if that was the case. Agree with you - ultimately we are responsible for knowing the law.

1 Like

It actually goes a step beyond that. We are presumed to know the law and ignorance of the law is not a defense.

2 Likes

@MikeBKY
Duh…everybody knows that!:wink:

1 Like

Common carriers, whether planes, trains, automobiles or boats, have a responsibility to get you from point A to point B. I don’t know transportation law so I do not know if there is anything more than a contractual obligation made when you pay your fare.
The TSA website shows the following:

• When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.

It is YOUR responsibility to know the law!

As far as uniform laws go, there is little chance of that unless and until SCOTUS speaks on the issue. And even then, there will still be differences. There are very few uniform laws, and that includes the “uniform laws” that are passed by each state like the Uniform Commercial Code.

1 Like

Alabama does not require a class for a permit.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D Thanks! Just looked it up and see that Alabama is a “Shall-Issue State”. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

With A very large percentage of it’s residents who do carry. Little over 22% ofthe population. Also have a bill that has moved out of committee that will allow permitless CC.

Should have listened to the Everytown and Mom’s Demand Action as we genteel Southerns call it. “They all had a case of the vapors”. I don’t think it will pass. Sheriff’s Dept are against it cause it takes a big bite of Revenue out of the Sheriff’s Departments revenue

1 Like