New way of handling panhandlers?

Very interesting never thought about it.

4 Likes

Say nothing and walk or drive away. I understand there are people in need and food is a great place to start, NOT GIVE CASH. Alcohol and Drugs are a very large problem. Please stay away from alleys, dark parking areas, late night city mall, and etc. A human man or women are not superman and danger are always to stay clear of. I have been tested and this is a respectful request.

5 Likes

I was leaving the gun range when a guy comes to me and says, “I have these 9MM bullets for sale, would you like to buy them for $10,00?” As I left, he kept dropping the price, $20.00 for three boxes? If I knew of the brand, he was selling I might of but, I never heard of them.

2 Likes

Whenever I am asked for money, I just ask them what they need and tell them I will get it for them. They usually say “Never mind”, since they really only want the cash. I have been noticing a lot of the same people in my area, that say the same thing every time. They always decline my offer.

6 Likes

When I was homeless in San Francisco, my spiel was “25 cents so I could get a paper to find a job.” Approach a guy as he’s approaching me. I hit him up for a quarter as he asks me for a twenty!!" WTF…anyways, just out of prison, he told me it doesn’t hurt to go big…hence the twenty. He ended up giving me a ten or twenty, can’t recall. I bought a cigar and smoked it while standing in line at McDonald’s, 'til I got told that wasn’t permitted, put it out on my forehead and asked if it was Ash Wednesday lol. The few times I’ve been approached in CT, I simply ask wtf they’re doing here. It’s cold, or hot, you stick out…go to 'frisco bro, it’s homeless paradise…and I’m on my way.
Meeting crazy head on keeps my money in my pocket, and no one walks away mad.

2 Likes

Told a homeless guy “Not today brother, got no cash…” he replied “No problem, I have Venmo…”.

4 Likes

This is how I handle them nowadays.

5 Likes

Social distancing. The only part of the 'rona crisis that works.

6 Likes

I like to be generous with what God has blessed me with and I also prefer to be smart. I got $200 worth of $5 McDonald’s gift cards and keep them in my car to give to people holding “I’m Hungry” signs at intersections.

6 Likes

I like that idea though I think there is a risk that some of the folks you encounter may become offended when your offering does not get them what they really want. No good deed goes unpunished.

2 Likes

“Offended?” If a person who is offended by being given a gift card for a free meal should then be asked to just give it back.

1 Like

I think your offer is perfect for those truly in need. It makes it more likely that your generosity results in a next meal rather than a next fix. But on a couple of occasions I have seen street people react violently when someone offers to help in a way that doesn’t get them close enough to their next fix. Just saying be prepared for the occasional inappropriate and potentially dangerous reaction to your generosity.

2 Likes

I knew someone who saw a guy outside a 7-11 sweltering in summer heat. He bought a 32-oz cup of soda and offered it to the guy.
The guy looked at him, threw the cup on the ground, and told him, “I don’t need your Effin’ soda!”

2 Likes

I always tell them if they say the need money for gas: “I won’t give you any money but I’ll be glad to fill up a gas can and give you a lift to your car and help you put it in” or, if they are there with their car: “If you pull your car up to the pump I’ll be glad to put some gas in it for you”. Have never had a single one accept my offer which tells me they were just looking for money to buy drugs or alcohol.

Had a guy approach me and a couple of buddies as we were walking out a Cracker Barrel after having lunch one time and give us this sob story about how he was out of gas and was trying to get down to Orlando (1 1/2 hours away) because his daughter was in Orlando Regional Medical Center in intensive care after a motor cycle accident. My buddy gave him $20 and offered to pray with him. A week later I was at another Cracker Barrel one exit down from the first one with my family and was coming out after having dinner and the SAME GUY approached me with the SAME STORY. I told him “Dude! You just approached me with the exact same story a week ago!”. He just turned around and walked away. Some people just have no conscience.

2 Likes