New shotgun

Just found and bought a browning auto 5 which I have always wanted who ever had this gun really took care of it …Tim

4 Likes

Congrats. I still hunt with my Dad’s A-5 a few times a year, they are a lot of fun. Make sure you pattern it, the modern plastic wads keep the shot a little tighter than the older wads that were in use when the gun was made.

2 Likes

< still want one here. But for me, I’ve got to go out on the public days at the skeet and trap range and see if I can stand getting my back through a course of fire with the shotgun I own first. (And then do it a few days in a row…) I’d love an A5 in 20ga.

2 Likes

Think I’ll get to shoot it and my new over under Friday at the World Shooting Complex…Tim

1 Like

Congrats! I’ve got a Light 20 that was my Christmas present when I was 12 (56 years ago) and my Dad’s old Sweet 16 that was bought in 1946 with his $125 service bonus given to WWII vets by the sate of Illinois. My 20 is Still my field gun for quail and pheasant- never needed anything more.

2 Likes

Coll buddy you have 2 great guns there…I always wanted a auto 5 since I was 13 and now I hate to say I finally got it at 58 :partying_face:

1 Like

Looked at a NICE light 12 today, with box, for $850…gotta figure what I can swap for it😏

1 Like

Sounds like a not to bad deal…Tim

1 Like

Took it to my club the other day to shoot man I love it …Tim

2 Likes

Be sure and get “trap loads” for your range time. They’re not as juicy as hunting loads. I made the mistake once of shooting a hunting load while on the trap line. The whole place stopped shooting. I left more than a little red faced.

1 Like

When I was shooting a lot of trap, we always shot 12ga 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 or #8 bird loads… not sure I’ve ever shot a trap load.

Very nice! :+1:

I was fortunate my Dad bought me a Sweet 16 when I was about 12. I think he paid around $100 for it. I checked the date code on it not long ago - 1958. I am only 2 years older than it :grinning:

1 Like

Pretty much the same load and shot size. However, a target load or a load you used is much different than the 3 1/2" goose load I used in a Citori Hunter before I left the line red faced. Never did that again. (I hit it)

1 Like

Thanks for that. Like @Zee , I realize I have a lot of #7 1/2 laying about: Oh the dreams of quail and dove…
I’ll pick up some trap when I stop by the range next time. Or, get it at the clubhouse if need be.

1 Like

Oh, my gosh! No wonder!!!
That was a “mighty” education there my friend.
Thanks for finishing the tale!

1 Like

I’ve been there done that lol it is embarrassing…Tim

1 Like

I imagine there was nothing left but dust :slight_smile:

Just got a Mossberg Maverick model 88 pump action chambered for 20 gauge. Personally I’m not a fan of heavy recoil but it is an effective caliber for home defense. It is also my gun for hunting upland birds and small game.

1 Like

My buddy has one and loves his…Tim

2 Likes

Since I can’t find another topic to ask this question regarding shotguns.
Question: There is a law that limits hunting with a shotgun to 3 rounds in the firearm. Can someone explain why that is the case? I’ve only been able to read that it is a federal law, but I’d like to know the premise behind it, thanks.
I just purchased my first shogun. I have a couple old 410s, but I don’t hunt with them. Thank you