New Shooter Monday: Constitutional Carry State?

There are now 20 states that do not require a permit for concealed carrying a handgun. Starting September 1, 2021, Texas will join the ranks becoming the 21st constitutional carry state.

If you live in a Constitutional Carry State, will you be taking the training to get a concealed carry permit for reciprocity when you travel?

• Yes, knowing the laws of where I live is incredibly important
  • Yes, I want to be able to carry when I travel outside of my home state
  • No

0 voters

What effect do you think constitutional carry has on the crime rate of those states?

5 Likes

There has been a lot of shootings in the town in which I live lately!!! I would rather carry and be safe for sure!!!

6 Likes

I bet crime goes down in constitutional carry states because the criminal will know that others carry also.

6 Likes

I took CCW training 2 months ago and sent in the papers that same day.
Still waiting for the card to show up in the mail.
It usually takes about 3 months for everything to get processed.
Still, I wonder if the FBI are slow-walking fingerprint requests to punish those of us who believe in the 2nd.

3 Likes

The first CHL I got was when I was living in Texas. My fingerprints are hard to take since my finger tips are very smooth. The first two attempts were rejected. I went to the fingerprint guru at the Dallas P.D. and sent in a third card. While waiting for the results I called the CHL dept. in Austin and got a secretary that said they never reject them more than three times so I would be good to go.

When I moved to Oklahoma I converted the Texas CHL to non-resident. The SDA(Self Defense Act) license in Oklahoma is a similar process to Texas. You get two tries to pass your fingerprints before you must go to OSBI headquarters in Oklahoma City. After two rejects I went to OSBI and the person there just used a roller and ink pad. When I told him his process was the same that was already rejected, he told me the difference was he would guarantee that I passed.

So, I guess like the no more than three rejects rule, there are a set sequence of steps they follow. Unfortunately none of the processes appear to be expeditious. But I wouldn’t rule out your comment about the FBI.

1 Like

What scares me is the fact that, although a very small percentage, there are those uneducated few that will be carrying with the mindset that a gun is the first response to any conflict not the last defense.

2 Likes

Imagine, if you will, 2 cities. City #1 has passed a directive that all law abiding citizens of age are required to possess and carry a firearm at all times when out in public UNLESS they have a religious or personal conviction against obeying this directive.

City #2 passes a similar directive that FORBIDS any citizen from possessing a firearm for any reason.

You are a convicted felon who wants to rob, murder, etc.

Which city would you choose?

2 Likes

LA, Chicago, NY, Detroit and many more…is that why they are so highly populated ??

1 Like

The way I’ve been hearing it, all of the populations of these cities are being reduced-one way or another.

1 Like

City #3.
It’s where the government keeps its nose out of my law abiding business and lets me live in peace.

3 Likes

Ohio number 22??? Whooooo. :us:

1 Like