New Minnesota gun control laws go into effect Tuesday

More like curbing the citizens’ rights and ability to defend ourselves from tyranny and oppression, while hiding behind crime as the reason for stricter gun laws to be enacted is what is going on imo. I believe our current government wants “we the people” as defenseless as possible and is being purposefully soft on crime so as to get more people behind their gun laws. The more crime there is, and the more they show in MSM, the more people will clamor to be protected by the government and for the removal of assault weapons, and all semi-automatic weapons. That’s just my opinion. A carefully formulated plan being implemented in steps.

5 Likes

Before my dad died, he would mail his revolvers to me through the post office. I about sh1t my pants and told him to stop. He was living in KY and I was in WA. The rest of his guns found their way in a boating accident somewhere in EKY. I only have a 5 second memory so don’t ask me where.

1 Like
1 Like

I think it goes without saying if they didn’t know what to say to get reelected, they wouldn’t.

People are presented with the lesser of 2 evils in November because they do not participate in the primaries where the candidates are vetted and selected. Nationally, around only around 17% of the eligible electorate vote in primaries. Some math. If half of that 17% are Ds and half are Rs, that means the majority of 8-9% of the electorate who participate in their party’s primary determine who will represent D and R candidates in November. The majority of 8-9% is 5% or so if 2 candidates are running in a primary contest, even smaller if there are more than 2 candidates.

Winning in a primary means capturing 5% or less of the electorate. As a practical matter that means appealing to the fringe of one’s party, ‘cause those folks actually vote in primaries. Then, in November, you end up with candidates who appeal to their parties’ fringes, the lesser of 2 evils.

When I ran for office, the advice I got was to focus on guns, gays, God and abortion 'cause that’s all Republican primary voters care about. For Dems, I suspect the list is also guns, gays, God and abortion, but also includes an array of identity political issues and union issues.

1 Like

Yep. So what have you done to reverse that?

While I agree that people need to change their expectations about what government can and can’t do and what the true costs will be and I think that politicians do express the positions of the people who’s votes they are after (while they are running for office), more often than not the politicians end up doing the opposite of what they said they would once they make it into office.

People need to stop voting for politicians that tell them what they want to hear and start voting for the ones who will do what needs to be done.

1 Like

My lesser of two evils choices usually start in the primaries except it is sometimes the lesser of 3 or 4 evils instead of two. On the rare occasion I am given the option of someone who might actually make a difference I end up throwing my vote away on a candidate that only wins a couple percent of the vote.

To even get on the ballot for any of the higher State and federal offices you need to be pretty well imbedded in the corrupt money system. Then you need to have or pretend to have positions so far to the left or right that there is almost no way that anyone who truly cares about making things better for everyone can get elected. So instead we get politicians focused entirely on enriching themselves and doing just enough to keep their primary voting bases somewhat happy so they can keep getting re-elected.

2 Likes

What can I do? I live in Florida and vote here.

1 Like

You’d be surprised by how low the bar is to get on the primary ballot for state and federal office. But it does require personal commitment and a willingness to endure insults, lies, personal attacks on one’s family, and always being “on.” I ran for state rep once and fairly easily got on the Republican primary ballot. I lost, but really annoyed the old guard and spent a lot of my own money to do so.

I would never, ever do it again, but that does not mean that others cannot do it or that it is in any way impossible. I’d point to more than one example in my state (Colorado) of ordinary people who ran for and won federal office – Ken Buck (former DA from Weld county), Doug Lamborn (an idiot), Lauren Boebert (former restaurant owner), Michael Bennett (former Denver school district superintendent). If they can get elected to office, so can ordinary mortals willing to endure the election process and who are committed to getting elected.

1 Like

Getting on the ballot might be easy but I suspect that, as you encountered, getting enough votes to win is impossible if your message doesn’t line up very close with the party line. Especially if you are viewed as a threat to the status quo by the current power brokers.

1 Like

It’s been running through my head to give running for office a try. Then I sit back and watch all of the above happen to good guys just wanting to do their part. I see how all these bogus charges are brought against Trump and think is it really, really worth putting myself and family in all of that or am I a sheeple and have it too good to want to risk it?

I vacillate between yes and no in the same conversation with myself too much. I post about needing to participate or be a slave of my enemies. I must say I have only missed one election and that was for local offices. I take pride in going to vote and I pray to god all of His ppl and every citizen of this country does as well.

2 Likes

As we are experiencing, our society will be ruled by idiots and tyrants unless people of good character make an effort to run for office. Voting isn’t enough to change the trajectory of our nation, and the majority of eligible electorate no longer votes at all.

I see lots of people claim that they will defend our nation against enemies foreign and domestic, and will beat their chest about having taken an oath to defend the Constitution, yet precious few actually commit their time and money to meaningfully participating in government by seeking office or even contributing to a candidate or walking neighborhoods (ask me how I know).

Minnesota

Rep. Ilhan Omar’s home state.

‘Nuff said.

4 Likes

Yup. And George Floyd was not a career criminal.

3 Likes

Now your just being facetious. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

3 Likes

You call that a knife? It’s a single-tined fork… this is a knife…

2 Likes

That applies only to handguns.

I am a bit confused about how giving your cell phone and purse/wallet to a thief is preventing a robbery. Oh, wait, right, if you just give the thief your property that is not being robbed of it. Silly me. :sunglasses:

Robbery - to take personal property by violence or threat.

2 Likes