Movies about Isolation

I read around two weeks ago that a way to help with the isolation and boredom of being self-quarantined is to watch full length movies to pass the time. So for the last two weeks I have done exactly that. I have had my favorite movie on a 24 x 7 constant loop. I choose “The Shining”, staring Jack Nicholson. After almost 100 showings I have noticed a significanct change in my attitude. However It no longer relaxes me and I have actually been a little more “disturbed” than normal. Nothing I want to mention on a public forum.

So, I have decided that I need to change my choice to another favorite movie to put on a 24 x 7 loop. Something that includes a great music score as well. Music soothes me. And since I like science and space movies I have chosen “2001 A Space Odyssey”. Perhaps it will help me with the social anxiety (and “other” antisocial behaviour) brought on by my previous choice.

Are there any more movies this community can suggest to help pass the time? We are in this together.

5 Likes

All work and no play makes TexasEskimo a dull boy.

5 Likes

28 days, 28 days later.

4 Likes

@TexasEskimo - have you tried The Andromeda Strain?

5 Likes

Favorite Movie: Princess Bride
Most Watched Movie: Star Wars: A New Hope
Animated Movie: The Road to El Dorado (it’s obscure, but I love the humor in it)

4 Likes

@OldGnome As I recall that was pretty upbeat as well. Thanks!

4 Likes

@Dawn Check the category I chose for the thread and try again. :rofl:

3 Likes

And today at Noon you can watch Kevin on Instagram!

4 Likes

Yup - when I’m in isolation that’s what I watch :wink:

You didn’t say movies about isolation. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

We have been recording and watching old movies, which are stress free to watch, though sometimes hokey. Last night it was Mame with Lucille Ball and Bea Arthur. Enough stress is found on the news. I even watched a baseball game from last season, again, stress free.

4 Likes

WARNING- DANGER. This thread is 100% about satire. Basically movies that shouldn’t be watched to relieve social anxieties or deter from thoughts of isolation

@Brian1 That was funny!

@OldGnome PERFECT choice!

2 Likes

To play with your intended theme: Night of the Comet (1984)

Not completely isolation, more of a zombie apocalypse.

3 Likes

Dawn, that’s one of my favorite movies as well, although I think I’d have to say my favorite is It’s a Wonderful LIfe.
During this time for me–it’s all about comedy and escape–
I’m going to focus on Mel Brooks, Monty Python, and the Zuckerman brothers.

4 Likes

Charleston Heston had two appropriate films for this list…
Soylent Green (1973)
The Omega Man (1971)

Very family oriented and uplifting as well.

3 Likes

lol… You crack me up

2 Likes

But during this thread it is not. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This is a mix of movies but imo they are all great. Most of them have amazing scores and a few are just must watch, and even more have an entire collection to pass the time

Interstellar
Life
E.T.
Close Encounters of the third kind
Breakfast club
Saving Private Ryan
Star wars… All of them
Back to the Future trilogy
Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2047
Harry Potter collection
The Shawshank Redemption
A Quiet Place
Bird box
The Happening
The Revenant
Rec < watch this if you like foreign films
Quarantine 1 & 2 < American remake of Rec
Gravity
I am Legend
Cast away
Into the Wild
Dawn of the Dead collection
Return of the living dead collection
Outbreak
Contagion
Pontypool
World War Z
Resident Evil collection
12 monkeys
Daybreakers
Doom
The Faculty
The Fly
The Puppet Masters
Slither
Warm bodies
Shaun of the Dead
Cabin Fever
The Crazies
Aliens series
Arrival
Avengers series
Independence Day
Galaxy Quest
Mad Max
Water World
The Postman
The Matrix collection
The Godfather 1 & 2 only…
Animal House
The Blues Brothers
Ferris Buellers day off
Ghostbusters collection
Groundhog Day
Young Frankenstein
The Exorcist collection
Evil Dead
It original and remakes
A Nightmare on Elm St collection
Se7en
Big trouble Little China
Goonies
Die Hard collection
Jaws collection
Armageddon
Indiana Jones collection
Con Air
Roadhouse
Field of Dreams

3 Likes

@BubbaBear917
If you would have included the following you could have made a more relevant post…

“All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy. All work and no play makes BubbaBear917 a dull boy…”
(Just having fun my friend)

4 Likes

2001 is a great choice! My all time favorite sci-fi movie is “The Day The Earth Stood Still,” though it doesn’t have much of a musical score. “Forbidden Planet” was the first movie with all-electronic “music.” It was so much ahead of its time that the powers-that-be would not consider it a score for an awards nomination.

Not exactly a space movie, “Inception” employs a rather odd piece of classical music as a means of communication across the dream-state boundary. If you run it 24/7 you might just figure out what’s going on by the time this is all behind us :slight_smile:

Alex

2 Likes

Pandemic for right now

2 Likes