Mount Up: Motorcycles and Concealed Carry | Bike Safety | USCCA

The odd thing about carrying concealed on a bike is that it isn’t all that different from carrying concealed anywhere else.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/mount-up-motorcycles-and-concealed-carry/
1 Like

Anyone else love their UKoala bag?

Here’s my two cents on concealed carry and motorcycles. Whatever that’s worth.
I ride a lot not just a little bit but usually 15000 + a year with my previous motorcycle having over 300,000 miles.
Quite some time ago because of improper carrying I lost my gun. I have no idea when it slipped out of my pants and hit the road.
I hate to think my gun fell into the wrong hands from my stupidity.

A revolver not very much value at all more like a Saturday Night Special, but had meaning to me because it used to be my wife’s [God bless her soul) and when she replaced it with her Smith 36 she gave it to me for basically a bike gun.

This is when I learned the value of a good holster, and gun.

I am right handed and I carry cross draw do to a shoulder injury I find it hard to carry from a 3 a clock or further back. So cross draw works best for me, and might work well for you.

My everyday is a XDS in 45 ACP. On the bottom of the grip in the back if you’re familiar with a XDS model 1 you’ll notice there’s a little hole with the pin that goes through for replacing the back strap. The hole and pin make a lanyard ring. Most of you I’m sure know that.
I use it for what it was intended for, to keep that gun with me regardless of what happens. I clip the parachute cord onto my belt or pants.
The cord is long enough I can still draw attached to me, but not raise it to eye level. You have to try different lengths for whatever works for you. The length of mine is long enough to draw, and short enough to put around my wrist when unattached without being too cumbersome. Long enough chord you can wear it around your neck with gun down to your waist. Something to think about also.
The main objective is to keep it with me at all times on my motorcycle then unclip when you’re off the bike.

Using a IWB cross draw I’m able to draw with my left hand and not worry about dropping and losing it. I can shift the bike without a clutch but one thing’s for sure when you need your throttle your hand better be on it. Another reason why I use it in that position is think about this. You just laid your bike down at 60 or less and your gun is in a 3 to 6, or 6 to 9 position. Chances are your weapon is not going to be there when you stop sliding down the road. Especially if you’re carrying OWB.

In a 1 or 11 a clock position, not saying that you can't slide down the road on your face you stand a better chance that you're going to be on your side or back, and keep your gun.

Although if you’re tumbling through the air and on the road, you can probably throw that out. The lanyard just might help you to keep your favorite edc.
A good retention holster or one with a thumb break and a lanyard chord could save your gun.
Times when I have to go in a place of business like a bank or even my family members or friends home, I always stop in a safe place within a half a mile or so and lock it in my tour pack. Not saddle bag.
Remember sliding down the road on your side, same thing goes for your saddle bag. Your bike is sliding the second thing after you that gets road rash and possibly coming off the bike is your saddle bag. This is why if you have a tour pack you lock it in there. Less chance of it coming off your bike when you lay it down.

This all works for me give it a try you have nothing to lose but your gun. And that really sucks when it happens.
Ride Hard, stay safe out there and have fun.

1 Like