Modifying Carry guns?

I modify. Grips, sights, springs, barrels, slides to add dots. I don’t worry about attorneys using anything against me. It’s either justified or it’s not. If my life is on the line IDGAF about the courts. It’s live or die. The courts are broken anyway so depending on where you’re at your fate may already be decided one way or the other. My priority is to make myself the most efficient shooter. The last thing I’d ever want to do is miss and hit something or someone I didn’t intend to. As far as the triggers are concerned changing just the shoe is usually enough to significantly improve the trigger but a nice, crisp break can make anyone a better shot. I like to keep it at around 4-5lbs ish. But the break and travel are important to me. The reset for me is more of a range/speed thing, not self defense. Great topic!

4 Likes

I added a HS507C ACSS and a TLR-7 but I don’t consider those modifications, just addons :wink:

5 Likes

The modification I have made is the on demand lasers on all my weapons,even on my DP12 double barrel pump shotgun
l

3 Likes

I’m going to add to the thread. My EDC is either a
Glock 30 or a Glock 41. I have some number of x .45’s but I EDC my Glocks. I have 1 each Glock 30 and Glock 41 new in the box. So if I ever need to swap, I have a backup Glock that looks and feels exactly the same.

YMMV

P.S. welcome to the community @PWPhotoSC.

5 Likes

Sights, grip and maybe magazines are all i’ve changed on each of my EDC’s…

Adding night sights or suppressor height sights if i’ve also added an optic, and some stippling work or talon grip. Putting +1 > +3 mag extensions on magazines for greater capacity.

I’ve never touched a trigger on a carry gun preferring to simply “learn” the trigger of each in my rotation (and keeping the rotation small). Most gunfighter courses will teach you to “learn” or “prep” the trigger on the draw, and after the reset of each shot.

Thinking about it, the only gun i ever changed the trigger on was my Gen 3 G19 i used to shoot in IDPA. Put a 3.5 ghost connector in that

5 Likes

All of my carry guns are out of the box stock except for my hellcat that is my primary carry.
I have added talon grips which give me better control thus making it safer. I have a Green Dot optic which allows me to be more accurate and thus makes it safer. All triggers are as they came from the factory. I will say my Kimber custom ultra Carry 45 ACP feels like it was customized but it is as was manufactured by Kimber. My sig 938 completely stock as well as my sig 238 pocket pistol.

7 Likes

Rick, quick question. You mentioned you put a green dot on your pistol. How do you like the green dot? I was thinking of putting a green one on instead of a red dot.

3 Likes

All of my EDC pistols are factory except one 1911 and my xdm. My xdm has a rds and light. The 1911 has everything changed except grip safety function and rear sight. The thumb safety is extended to aid in ease of operation with my big hands, WC barrel, guide rod, recoil spring, bigger slide stop, dehorned slide, shaved hammer and grip safety, trimmed mainspring housing, currently trimming front strap, more aggressively textured mag release, chamfered mag well, trimmed front sight, and grips. All in the spirit of making the firearm more comfortable for my hands. Keeping in mind one hand has some nerve damage in the thumb, index, and middle fingers, the textures help my fingers drag so I always know where they are, and the fitting is for the right hand to clamp easier and better. The front sight is trimmed to be more crisp to me. That 1911 is the one I use the most, because of the fit.

3 Likes

Not Rick but I have multiple red dots and also a green Holosun 508T. To me, I don’t notice much difference. I wouldn’t worry much about which color

5 Likes

Also not Rick, but the green dot is supposed to be more friendly to the eyes of those with astigmatism. I am one of those people, and I notice a difference. To me, the green dot flares less and looks more like a dot.

5 Likes

It’s amazing how different people’s eyes are. I have astigmatism too, and I don’t notice a difference. If anything the green might be a tiny bit more ‘bloomy’ to me than the red.

Astigmatism guys, if you can ever shop in person and physically trial-view an optic at an LGS before buying it, I highly recommend it. Any optic that doesn’t have an etched reticle that is

7 Likes

Nathan and Levi, thank you for your response. I think I’m going to give a green dot a try. Much obliged!

7 Likes

Showing up late here. I find my green dot to be much easier to use. My astigmatism makes my red dots a little irregular looking. I have noticed that my one green dot Holosun looks much more like a dot and the green is just easier to pick up.

My red dots are still just fine to use, but going forward I will try to buy green dots if I can. Good luck with your search sir.

8 Likes

I’m working with footballs for eyes :joy: I second the trial view option if possible. A specific type of sight will never be a cure all. It’s best to find exactly what works for you, and the optimal situation is not having to buy 34 before you find it… We all know how that works with holsters!

6 Likes

Same on the ones I have tried. Also, green is the easiest color in the spectrum for the eye to see :+1:

7 Likes

No worries! We are all here to help each other :+1:

6 Likes

I have not issue doing anything to my gun that makes it safer. Sometimes a trigger job is just what it needs to ensure good accuracy.

5 Likes

I actually have green dot sites on 3 on my guns. I have the Holosun SCS on my G22 MOS and on my G34 MOS. I recently swapped the Shield Arms RMSc that came on my G43X MOS for a Holosun 507K X2 with the green. I also plan to have my G19X slide milled and install a SCS on it. I love the green. It stands out better than the red in brighter lit areas. It’s easier to see. Eventually I will change out the Holosun 507C X2 on my Shadow Systems MR920 Elite to the green. As Levi2 said, it is the easiest color in the color spectrum for us to see, except for those who are color blind to that area of the spectrum. I have 2 pairs of Maui Jim sunglasses that have the green and “mauve” tint strips. I can put them on against any of my Oakley’s and my eyes relax. They don’t do that with the other color shades. I know in laser pointers, the green is also the easiest to see. I have a TLR-8 AG tac light/laser on my MR920 and it has the green laser. I rarely activate it but I got that one specifically for the green. The green laser is brighter than the red. I know that got a little off subject but I was still showing red vs green and how green is easier on the eye.

5 Likes

I want to thank all of you for the replies to my post. I didn’t know what to expect when I created it. You have kept it interesting, informative and educational. That’s what I was hoping for. I made the same post in another gun forum, I won’t say which, and it didn’t go well. I was blasted with posts saying things like, “ You modified a carry gun? Hope you never have to go to court for using it.”, “ You never modify a carry gun. PERIOD!”, “If you have a CWP, your state should revoke it for modifying your carry gun.” and so on. Needless to say, I had been in that forum for almost 10 years. I no longer am. I deleted that post and left it. I want no part of a group that isn’t going to help people when they ask a question. Thanks again.

8 Likes

Glad to have you. This bunch is very supportive and enjoys discussing things without a lot of condescension. We have a few, but they are in the minority. Welcome aboard!

5 Likes