EDC Pistols - Stock or Custom?

This is a topic I haven’t seen. Some people may be familiar with and follow the common perspective that in defending of ones life “a carry pistol shouldn’t be customized”. It’s a concept I follow myself for EDC. However, I know quiet a few people who do carry a fully custom firearm daily no issues.
Any thoughts, opinions, comments, concerns, ideas, or suggestions?

7 Likes

All of my carry guns are stock and I don’t mess with the internals. I may put after market sights on some but that’s about all I do.

14 Likes

Agreed @Johnnyq60. I’ve noticed more modified EDCs w/ pyramid triggers, milled slides, or ported barrels. Almost like us stock guys are “old timey” lol.

6 Likes

My G43 EDC is mostly stock except for night sights, slide release, and +1 magazines. All basic black. Nothing that would immediately stand out if compared to a stock version.

Here’s a previous thread on this topic which has links to a couple of other threads.

7 Likes

I will carry either. None of the modifications made to mine should be an issue in a shooting. In my opinion, they would most likely only be an issue if the modification caused a ND.

Of course you should be careful about stuff like “smile, wait for flash” or some stuff that might “look” bad in court. Do any of you know of a case where a custom barrel or trigger was detrimental in a legitimate self defense shooting?

Of course, carry what you are comfortable carrying.

6 Likes

The modifications I do don’t affect the way the pistol is meant to operate. When you start messing around with the internals that’s where the problems lye.

7 Likes

That thread is the best source of info:

I’ve read that thread and found how much I learned from this Community and people close to firearms.
Right now (after over 1 year) I don’t worry about my EDC being little modified internally. All the changes were made only to make the firearm more accurate to stop the threat and save life. That of course means - no stupid logos on the firearm…

9 Likes

I changed out the curved trigger on my P365 to a flat one, because my favorite range gun also has a flat trigger. It’s a stock Sig trigger, however, not a reduced pull or anything like that.

I’ve often thought about what negative effect personalized messages on guns might have in self-defense proceedings. A laser engraved message on the slide, “I WILL NOT COMPLY,” or an after-market addition, The Punisher skull icon on the mag plate, might be a very bad message to present before a jury.

5 Likes

Good point @Fred_G on the legality and you’re right it could effect a court case. Just for clarity, I’m not against custom or modified pistols by any mean but noticing more of a trend in “fancy” edc setups. I agree, it’s still a free America and to each their own choice.

6 Likes

@Jerzees This is mainly why I brought up the topic. I see other P365 guys mixing XL slides & grip modules not having any issues, and even more with Glock G43/43X slides being interchanged. I’ve always stood by the idea that a carry gun should remain stock, but keeping an open mind not to die on my bias sword. I guess it’s sort of a mental personal choice. If you’re comfortable with what you’re carrying thats what really matters.

7 Likes

:point_up_2: this :+1:

Mixing slides and frames is like changing P320 keeping its Fire Control Unit. Nothing wrong with it, and nobody tell anything that you made something illegal.
You have to be sure that you need any modification, not because it looks cool.
I’m more comfortable with carrying modified M&P9 (Apex trigger kit) than stock one. And that’s what counts.

6 Likes

New custom sights, replaced trigger and adjusted the trigger pull, added a compensator on it, as well as, a fluted grip to make for faster reloads. OH, you did say EDC. Never mind!

8 Likes

I am not sure if it is illegal or not but i was thinking of replacing some of the plastic parts ( such as guild pin ) with steel guild pin, a few sights with fiber optics sights or night sights. So i guess i have some home work ahead of me now.

4 Likes

So I’m a’ throw this out there…

Can ANYONE find for me an actual case adjudicated in a court of law where SOMEONE was convicted of Wrongful Death / Homicide / Murder et al. for using a customized weapon in a self defense case? I’m not talking about the knuckle head that removed the disconnector or filed a sear and shot somebody on accident but a real self defense case using a customized weapon where that was the deciding factor.

Similarly can ANYONE find an above case with using reloaded ammunition?

And one more for general fodder … Who is the sanctioning body that that say’s someone is a “Certified Gunsmith”? I’m not talking about an Armorer’s Cert for going to the Glock or Sig or S&W school. One like you get when you become a MD, or Dentist or Electrician or ASE Certified Mechanic

I have been looking for 33 years (since I took a hacksaw to my 1 month old Colt Officer’s Model to install a beaver tail and guide rod) and have failed to find one of these unicorns but I have been wrong as recently as today. So someone please provide documentation (or at least a link) if you have it.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

http://agigunsmith.com/

Perhaps not the “sanctioning body,” but a sanctioning body nonetheless. The link was about eighth on the list when I used a search engine for “certified gunsmith.”

3 Likes

Lu-Can check out fire fly sights. Don’t know how to show you the video, just google : fire fly sites : let me know what you think. There was a older site called fire fly. A person that had them said they were so bright they could give away your location in very low light. Tritium sights I think I have a five year life, the new fire fly site system does not have a shelf life. With short periods of illumination they will remain bright for eight hours. :us::us:

4 Likes

I have milled the slide to take an optic, I’ve added lights, I have changed grips.
I had a ejection port flared and a ramp polished on an old 1911.
If you do make changes, please make sure you can clearly explain why you made those changes to a prosecutor (if need be).

6 Likes

@Blacky thanks brother will check them out and let you know. Don’t want anything that gives away the location, just something to help Ray Charles see better.

4 Likes

@Blacky firefly sights seem like they will let peoples in the next county know you are carrying. lol

3 Likes

You can ask MikeBky (ask a attorney on this web ) while your at it ask about xtra mags being used against you in court. Not my concern I have a wheel gun.
:us::us:

3 Likes