EDC Modifications in the Aftermath

I just read an article in SHOOTING ILLUSTRATED that urged extreme caution when making enhancements to a personal defensive weapon because of the impression those modifications might on a prosecutor or jury.

For the purposes of this discussion let’s assume that all the modifications are, first and foremost, legal within the jurisdiction. Second, that the mods are either readily available aftermarket accessories or tried-and-true refinements, as opposed to the truly exotic or experimental. Let’s also leave out simple grip replacements for comfort or fit.

Do you think there would be a perceptual downside to modifications such as laser or red dot type sights? How about a work on the trigger action, or a trigger replacement kit? Extended magazines? Threaded extensions for suppressors? Porting the slide/barrel? I’m sure many of you can think of more.

So, much like our discussion of various ammo names, so you think these things would help you or hurt you in the context of legal defense? I understand that sound and factual arguments can be made in favor of all sorts of enhancements, but I’m talking about perception and spin here, not logic.

Regards.

Here are a couple of threads that have touched on modifications, @David38.

The first ones that come to mind for me are to not make the trigger pull any lighter than the factory specs and don’t put anything that could be construed as hate or wanting to kill someone on your firearm.

1 Like

Thanks for the references, Dawn, I’ll read them over. Guess I should have looked harder for similar topics before posting.:grimacing:

Regards.

1 Like

@David38 no worries, theres enough material on here now it can be hard to find what you’re looking for… especially if we ramble in the thread. Not that any of us would do that… :innocent:

1 Like