MI CPL processing time

In MI, there is a 45 day processing time for a CPL. After 45 days, the receipt issued by the Sheriff’s office indicating that fingerprints have been taken will serve as the license until either the license or a denial is received.

For those of us in MI has anyone experienced not receiving their CPL within the 45 day window and had to rely on the receipt? Covid and the unrest have caused applications to skyrocket and have burdened the processing time. I’m curious what others have or are experiencing. Thanks.

4 Likes

I turned in my app at the county clerks office on 7/24/20, finger printed on 7/27/20 and got my CPL on 8/25/20. I live in Kalamazoo county Mi.

2 Likes

Inside 30 days … not bad. Macomb county has about 5 times the number of applications. That may explain the difference. Some of the applications stats are staggering.

2 Likes

Took a couple of months after the class to get the appointment. Had my appointment August 18, and did the finger prints right then. They mentioned 3-5 weeks for the license, but it’s coming up on 5 weeks and still waiting. I asked if there was a temporary license while waiting, and they said no. So I guess no temp lic. in this county of St Joseph.

2 Likes

@cobra, we live in the same county. Unfortunately I first got my CPL in 2001 when I turned 21 and that was when the approval still had to go through a county board. My renewals since they did away with the board has literally been showing up to my county clerk, handing them a check and walking out.

2 Likes

Wow your not to far from me, I’m in Comstock.

1 Like

I am in Ross township East of Richland and north of Augusta. So I bet you are 10-15 minutes away.

2 Likes

I’m real close to Richland. yup

2 Likes

You’re behind the 8-ball on this!

Good on you for getting it. If it’s past the 45 days and you have NOT been issued a denial then you may use your receipt until your CPL does arrive. Yeah there’s a backlog in some counties unfortunately.

3 Likes

It really doesn’t matter what state you’re in. Things are different lately due to the Covid scare. There is no “typical or normal anymore”.

So your question isn’t really fair currently.

The best advice I can give is to follow-up each week and check in and see how things are progressing. Worst case is they get frustrated by the constant interruptions. Best case is you might get it early or at least on time.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Five weeks is 35 days … There’s 10 days left of in the 45 day processing window.

After a month, I started to get antsy … last week I was driving around town and there was a vehicle in front of me with a USCCA sticker. Thinking this was a “sign”, I checked the mail as soon as I got home … only to find a Kohl’s circular and a Valpac of coupons.

Intrinsically, waiting for the CPL is like waiting for an ammo order to show up on your doorstep. At least the ammo order can be tracked easily

2 Likes

Not a day goes by where we find the world gets a little bit smaller

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m with ya on that. All bets for getting an appointment with the Clerk are off the table. In macomb you have to schedule a 15 minute appointment via their web site The processing time is legislated and my thinking is that there going to be a slew of folk relying on their receipt processed by the Sherrif until either the license or denial shows up in the mail.

2 Likes

I live in Muskegon county. My buddy and I turned in our applications/finger prints one day apart. I received my approval letter and cpl in 39 days. He got his on the 45th.

2 Likes

… day 52 and counting; maybe it’ll be in the mail box this weekend. Last week I’d heard that Wayne county has a wait to get into the clerk that has people waiting till April of '21 to file their applications

1 Like

Just received mine in Oakland County. My wait times -

Applied Nov. 9th (2-weeks to get appointment)
Fingerprinted Nov. 19th (4-weeks to get appointment)
Received - Dec. 24th

1 Like

@JCP … The processing time between prints and receiving your CPL isn’t too bad. Fortunately, I was able to get prints the same day in Macomb; no wait for me. Ultimately, I let 45 days +7 lapse; relied on my print receipt and had to call the clerk. Once I gave them the print tracking number they processed the CPL the next day and I received it the next week. Processing the prints got lost in the shuffle but was rectified in short order. At least Oakland isn’t as bad as Wayne county is/was.

Yeah - my CPL instructor is from Wayne County, and when I took my class in October he said the wait time to get an appointment in Wayne is currently June for the soonest. Whereas Livingston County I have heard you pretty much just walk in. It’s all over the place.

When I was talking with the Macomb clerk, they mentioned that they were gettng calls from Wayne county residents looking to process their applications. The answer: “Sorry, but you’ll have to apply in your county of residence.”

By the time my wife applied in October, she waited three weeks for the appointment, was printed the same day and had her license at day 45