Memories gone by.

One of my memories of when I was in school is learning Duck & Cover incase of an Atomic Bomb attack from foreign countries. All students would sit in the hallways with their back against the wall, raise your knees and put your head between your knees and cover your head with your arms/hands.
Now it’s Barricade, Duck & Cover training incase of an active shooter who’s usually a student.
Crazy, crazy, crazy world our children and grandchildren are growing up in.

9 Likes

@William377 I remember that also and the Fallout Shelter signs. Sad times.
I am making new memories with my granddaughter, she is 19 months and another on the way in Feb. 2022. I am afraid I may not be here to teach them. Sad thoughts. :us:

8 Likes

I’m definitely buying an armored backpack for my future grandson.

it seems ridiculous but that’s where we’re headed.

6 Likes

This is one of the many reasons I’ve kept detailed logs of every outing to the range for the last 15 years. No thought or disaster was left out. From Pelosi becoming Speaker of the House in 2007 to The US Constitution being read aloud on the floor of the House of Representatives, from the Gabby Gifford shooting to hurricane Irma.
Sometimes I feel like writing a book called
“An unconscious Coup d’etat”.
Future generations need to understand how not to repeat these history making destructive executive decisions.
It’s going to take more than an Edward Gibbons or Herodotus to unravel the decline and fall of the United States. Hopefully all my scribble will tell a story of power and deceit and the ultimate coup that crushed a free nation.

6 Likes

We had shelters in our schools, but no one ever thought we’d have to use them. There were no drills. No one knew what was in them. Certainly nothing like the kids of today have to go through.

1 Like

@Brad , So true, So true.

I remember when a LIFETIME subscription to Playboy magazine was $100. I could not afford it being a poor GI at the time.

1 Like