Massad Ayoob's Tips for Older Shooters - Critical Mas Ep 63

Some tips for us “Older” shooters from Mas’s.

17 Likes

thank you for posting this for us ‘‘old’’ shooters

5 Likes

Good stuff, and thanks for posting. Some of those things are starting to affect me.

4 Likes

Not a fan of Ayoob. I know he has forgotten more than I could ever learn.

2 Likes

So, shoulders are a common problem? Now I do not feel so special, just normal, I am not used to that!
I am going to write a book and explain getting old and how to deal with it.

3 Likes

Just curious, what aspect of him you’re not a fan of.

3 Likes

I can’t say anything about his ability to shoot but I disagree with some of his after action contact advice with the police. Or some of his general contact with police advice. For me I don’t think anyone should say a word without a lawyer present.

1 Like

Good video. As an old guy, I realize that if I’m involved in an altercation, I will quickly find myself involuntarily on the ground. Running around/away is not an option with 2 metal knees and a metal hip. Practice getting up off the ground, maybe with a gun in your hand.

3 Likes

Practice with one knee one the ground, on your butt, laying on your back and on your chest. Drawing from each position as well.

4 Likes

His “Know It All” style is kind of a put off for me but I like his subject matter and for the most part his information seems to be sound. my 2 pennys

1 Like

I agree, Mark. I can probably outrun a three year old. I think I can still pretty handily beat up on a five year old, but at my age (I only have one metal knee and after it didn’t turn out so hot I am reluctant to have another one in my other knee)I know perfectly well, I am not going to go mano a mano with someone over eight years old unless they are in a wheelchair. I need the Samuel Colt everyone is equal remedy.

4 Likes

For me as well

I’ve been following Mas’ advice since the late 1970s. He hasn’t steered me wrong yet.

6 Likes

If I go down, I know I’m not getting up. So I train fighting/shooting from the ground. 2 artificial hips, bad knee and a multi level fusion in my back (L1-S2). Yeah I’m a mess physically. But I refuse to be anyone’s victim, or to wait for someone else to save me.

6 Likes

I took MAG40 and didn’t get this impression. But he is confident and I get how some might perceive him differently.

He was very personable during breaks. He was very willing to chat and was complimentary to my shooting even though I didn’t think I was anything special.

3 Likes

I get from his videos that he seems like a very good guy. He could teach me tons and I would listen to his advice. I don’t like his advise to talk to the cops, point out witnesses, point out evidence, etc. The cops are trained in doing these things. I don’t trust cops ops enough that if point out these things they might start to think Im up to something I shouldn’t be. I could become the focus and not the true criminal. From my brief talk with a LEO on here, they just might do that anyway. So I would be damned if I did and damned if I didn’t.

PS
Lawyer up, then talk to them.

2 Likes

He was a cop for a lot of years so that might be where he gets that inclination.

3 Likes

Massad:
Sonny Crockett’s older stranger brother!" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh Massad you slay me!
Straight talk from a straight shooter.
Thanks BRUCE TWO-SIX
My eyes are really good, the rest of me could use a collision repair shop…or Junkyard.

2 Likes

Considering he’s been a highly-regarded professional trainer for longer than some of us have been alive, he kinda does “know it all”. :wink:

4 Likes

He has also served as a professional expert witness, and has seen the inside of a courtroom countless times. I value his counsel.

4 Likes