Massachusetts’s Gun Screening Test for Doctors' Visits Is Another Attempt at Gun Confiscation

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/12/20/massachusettss-gun-screening-test-for-doctors-visits-is-another-attempt-at-gun-confiscation-n2558379

>To get around paywall<

1 Like

I would have to say, that’s about a stupid idea, what keeps a patient from saying none? What’s he going to do? Come to the patients house and search? Dr.s are already so overwhelmed by their caseloads they have months long wait lists.

Doctors already have a duty to ask about self harm, so this is just exactly what they are saying a thinly disguised attempt at getting a registry of who all exactly has guns.

1 Like

Part of the problem is that in California they are asking this question of children, and can do so with their parents excluded from the room. :angry:

5 Likes

I never heard that. That is wildly inappropriate. I know either my wife or I or both always stayed in the room when our daughter was being seen by a physician, just because of how many times children have been inappropriately touched.

3 Likes

The reason given is to ask about parental child abuse, spanking, neglect … and firearms… that the child might not discuss if the parent is in the room.

When I was in CA, I was asked the gun question by doctors. At one point some doctors were refusing service if patients refused to answer as they interpreted it to be mandatory reporting.

Missouri has a law making it illegal for a doctor to ask that.

5 Likes

That just seems so intrusive. Learn something new every day.

2 Likes

Its is, and I wouldn’t answer it, but apparently people do.

The only place this makes sense is if someone is clearly suicidal or homicidal or otherwise a threat to themselves or others… at that point you have intent and it makes sense to ask about means. But even that is a very fuzzy line.

3 Likes

I’ve been to doctors that have asked how I deal with stress? And I always tell them that when I get stressed out I go to my gun club to shoot. and that after doing so all is fine and good. I also show them some pictures of some targets that I’ve shot. And they say that they never thought of going shooting to get rid of stress. And that I’m going to a gun range to do it they’ve had no problems with it either. In fact some have even asked me about shooting and what type of guns are good for different things.

2 Likes

So, now you need an Atty to visit a Dr in some states.

2 Likes

I saw a meme on this on a military Vet’s website/page and went something like this…(censored accordingly for this community)

Doctor: So, how many guns do you have in your home?
Me: Well doc, how many “men did you orally copulate last night?” (the vulgar phraseology for that)
Doctor: What the hell kind of question is that!!??
Me: Oh well I thought we were sharing deeply personal stuff that’s none of each other’s effin business.

4 Likes

Actually, Dr officess have staff, who sometimes have associates with criminal background, who may be quite interested in defenseless homes.

2 Likes