Mass shootings? US only ranks 64th internationally

Well, here’s an interesting dataset from John Lott in (of all places) The Chicago Tribune.

Over the course of 18 years, from 1998 to 2015, our list contains 2,354 attacks and at least 4,880 shooters outside the United States and 53 attacks and 57 shooters within this country. By our count, the U.S. makes up 1.49 percent of the murders worldwide, 2.20 percent of the attacks, and less than 1.15 percent of the mass public shooters. All these are much less than America’s 4.6 percent share of the world population.

While Americans are rightly concerned by the increased frequency and severity of mass public shootings, the rest of the world is experiencing much larger increases in per capita rates of attack. The frequency of foreign mass public shootings since 1998 has grown 291 percent faster than in the U.S.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Only that you Will Never see the media report this as it’s not “sensational” and goes against everything the Left has preached for the past 40 years…

3 Likes

that particular article is on the Chicago Tribune’s website… and that surprised me.

4 Likes

It’s true @Zee in spite of what politicians want us to believe it’s well again; politicians lie that’s all.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there was another one this morning - in a gun-free zone.

The class sat in silence and had a fire extinguisher they were prepared to use as a weapon if anyone came into the classroom. They didn’t hear any shots.

2 Likes

Former President Clinton was right out there calling for an assault weapons ban as a way of preventing these incidents. Guess he didn’t know that an assault weapon wasn’t used. We are surrounded by ignorant people.

2 Likes

I would argue that they’re either uninformed or have an agenda. I don’t think President Clinton is ignorant. :thinking:

3 Likes

Sorry to disagree but the definition of ignorance is… noun

1. lack of knowledge or information.

Mr. Clinton lacked knowledge of the type of firearm used in this shooting. By immediately saying that an assault weapons ban could have stopped this incident he demonstrated total ignorance of the specifics.

3 Likes

@Zee I was surprised to see this in the Chicago paper as well. It does not fit the usual “we need common sense gun control laws” that most of them push.

The problem is not the weapon, Cain killed Able with what, a donkey’s jawbone? Humans have been killing humans for a long time, in many ‘creative’ ways. More laws will not stop that. But guns CAN be used for defense.

2 Likes

Evil kills. A gun is a tool that can be used by evil people to kill innocent people. It can also be used by innocent people to stop evil people which may result in death.

2 Likes

Indeeeddd! Change makes people act strange! Or money makes them act funny.

“Agenda” Key Term to define the world we live in!

1 Like

^^^^^^^ Yes, sir!

Tools! Just like money is not evil but the LOVE of it.
It was not evil buying me lunch, but buying a crack head some more crack would not be deemed as “blessings”

Same manner with guns, Defending my “life” is not evil, but those who kill for no reason other than evil is straight demonic.

1 Like

True anti-gun people don’t care about your knowledge or their own ignorance. All they care about it their feeling that guns are bad, guns are killers, all guns are evil and they want GUNS GONE, GONE, GONE SO EVERYBODY WILL BE SAFE NOBODY WILL DIE IF YOU DISAGREE THEN YOU’RE EVIL EVIL EVIL!!!

2 Likes

@Zee

Thoughts?

It’s a morally bankrupt agenda being pushed by MSM. Ostensibly, for Public Safety. It’s all about control.

1 Like