Marketplace?

Marketplace on USCCA for selling firearms, goods, and services to fellow members?

1 Like

Like a classified section, @Gene2? I like the idea. I’ll see what we can do in the Community platform.

The only part that would be really difficult would be selling firearms as you’d have to deal with an FFL.

5 Likes

I’ve seen many places which do the firearms business on the web have a tool identifying FFL in a specified area they have done business with success. These often have complete contact information and fee schedules. Some even have a digital copy of their license available to present to the seller/shipper before shipment. I suppose a journey through the federal and state regulations will be useful if you can’t get all the info from the local FFL you’re thinking of using to receive and process with?

Then there is the issue of successful transactions. PayPal? what else comes to mind?

2 Likes

I know you would have to use a local FFL. Surely we could create a directory?

1 Like

I do not have the computer savvy to set it up, but, I would certainly use it.

1 Like

If I am not mistaken (it’s been a few years) there is a Federal registry utilized by “I think” GunBroker or a similar site that will let you type your zip code and it lists all FFL holders near by.

IMHO start off with no firearms and once a method is evaluated to be fool proof go forward. Have the transaction done in the “clear” where as the seller state this is my FFL and the purchaser says this is MY FFL. The details of the transaction can be done via messaging or phone con or whatever. Both Fed Ex and UPS have rules to ship a firearm but they are not that difficult to follow. DO NOT USE USPS as bringing a firearm onto Federal property is a Federal offense even if it is boxed for shipping. Amazingly the USPS will ship guns, you just can’t bring them on the property.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

We have gun classifieds on many of the forums I’ve been on over the years. Face to face transfers require no FFL unless your’e in a state that requires it and all out of state transfers require an FFL on the receiving end.

I’ve bought and sold dozens of both handguns and long guns via classifieds over the last 15 years and never had a problem.

To protect the buyers just have the seller fax or email copies of their ID’s photos of the weapon including serial number to the receiving FFL and use only the US Mail for payment.

2 Likes

Personally, I like the idea. Many entities have figured out how to legally and successfully operate online sales.portals for firearms, even organizations similar to USCCA and the Community. The answer to “can it be done” is yes.

Does the Community, and by extension, the USCCA, want to take it on? That’s a different question. First, a classified section can eat up a lot of bandwidth. Second, rules have to be developed regarding who can place ads, what types of goods are permitted/forbidden, etc.etc, all of which will require regular and diligent moderation. The powers that be will have to decide how much of their resources they are will ing to commit to such a market.

Or maybe I’m making too much of it. An opinion from someone with operational experience might be good.

2 Likes

As @David38 very adroitly mentions the “social liability” is something that the USCCA will have to consider if firearms are offered in an open forum. The headline “Mass Shooter purchased his Assault Rifle from a pro 2nd Amendment web site, The USCCA!” It doesn’t matter that all the state and federal rules were followed and an FFL was involved. HE BOUGHT IT ON THE INTERNET!!! God help you if it was a FTF in the same state.

The media tells people what happened in the headline and if were are lucky they disclose the truth in the article.

I too have never had an issue with purchasing firearms on line via an FFL or via FTF in my state and have conducted several of each without a hiccup and have met FTF some very nice people who ate entities on the net. It is a little different to have to introduce yourself as your internet name in person :upside_down_face: "

Me: “Hi, I’m Craig6 from the USCCA.”
Them: “No $h!t!, Man I’ve wanted to meet you forever. I’m Bill27. Is your first name Craig?”

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Not a big deal… would be like buying a handgun on armslist.com

1 Like

I too would be concerned about the political ramifications for USCCA. Odds are things would be great, but as noted, one “incident” and the bad PR would be incredible.

4 Likes

@USCCA
Is there any interest in a classified section where members can buy/sell/ trade amongst ourselves- private party type thing? Would imagine most other members like me have extra goodies like muzzle brakes, old scopes, slings etc laying around in our stash creates. I’d rather buy or sell from another member that has to pay dues instead of Craigslist or Armslist general public site.

3 Likes

You may not be aware that these forums are open to the public. You do not need to be a member of USCCA to use these forums.

(Edited to correct the spelling of the word “forums.”)

2 Likes

Whereas it’s a great idea and has been talked about before, I’m sure @dawn will chime in but they don’t want to have any form of classified or advertising on the site.

1 Like

This topic has come up many times. I think that many would enjoy it for equipment and perhaps shooting partners.

1 Like

I believe USCCA wants me to keep my words to myself.

1 Like

How much liability is there in buying non FFL items such as weapon lights, scope rings, parts and such. Actual FFL items I completely understand the liability issue having lived in So. Cal for to many years.

1 Like

@KillJoy said, “may.” All we know so far is that USCCA has not made a decision in favor of a Marketplace section. I see that the @moderators (thanks, mods!) have merged this into an existing thread on the topic.

1 Like

There have been numerous discussions about a marketplace in the Community. At this time it is still on the list of possibilities to add. There are a number of considerations that come into play with a marketplace (liability is one question that has to be addressed, @KillJoy has a good point :thinking: ).

2 Likes

Sounds like an awesome idea! I will understand if it doesn’t happen though. There are legit concerns & questions voiced by folk above.

:v:t5: