Man Uses Apple AirTag to Track Down Thief Who Stole His Truck

Opinions?

6 Likes

Don’t steal other peoples stuff. Hope he doesn’t get charged. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

That’s great he tracked him down, but turn that information over to the Police Department…

4 Likes

There’s a limit to my involvement.
Let my taxes work for me.

6 Likes

I was reading through the article comments, after skipping all the ones talking about beer, and found this one.
A lot of people were stating that the Police won’t track down stolen vehicles until 2 weeks after the theft, other just don’t think the Police are allowed to police so they should take matters into their own hand.

Me? The truck is insured.

6 Likes

I got my first new car stolen as a young adult. About two months later, it was found torched. I had a loan on that car, and I had to keep paying on that until the insurance company settled, which was after the car was found. In the meantime, I had to rent a car and use a credit card for that. I had a credit card with a $500 limit. To keep renting the car so I could get to work, I had to send money every two weeks (when I got paid) to the CC company. Thankfully, the insurance company sent ckecks to cover that each month or I would have not had enough money to continue renting the car, and then I would have had to stop working. I was making less than $20K/year then. It was very tight financially.

Then there was the initial suspicion that I was somehow involved or had it repo’d. I was told later by an officer that sometimes people do that when they are behind on their loans. That does not make any sense to me. I lost about $4,800 in car payments, netting about, if I recall correctly, $1,400. I then had to buy another car. Tell me about how great it was to have my car stolen and covered by insurance rather than having found my car.

10 Likes

Wish I could give you 100 thumbs up. People who are financially on thin ice have little tolerance for thievery, from lost car to no job to homeless could be a really quick transition.

7 Likes

I was speaking of myself, I have no payments.
That’s why I stated Me.
But thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Texas economics 101.
Guy spends $4.39 ( 20 miles, 1 gallon, roughly ) for gas to track down his own truck, locates suspect (free), expends a round at .39
Total out of pocket expenses = $4.78 curbside justice, case solved, case closed! Taxpayers dollars spent, zero!
Ruled self defense, tentatively, free!
Not taking matters into your own hands can cost everything. Truck, job, home, life.

3 Likes

You still lose a lot, as you would only get replacement value and spent how much for the vehicle? Then have to buy another vehicle. My last car was $30k. No payments, too, but I sure would still not want to have it stolen and get peanuts from the insurance company for it.

3 Likes

I agree that it would not be the outcome I would want to go through, but, it’s better than possibly going to prison for trying to reclaim my property or dying trying to do so.
Make sense?

2 Likes

Agree, but I would have only located the vehicle and contacted the police, not confronted the perp. Big difference.

3 Likes