Major US Cities = War Zones?

Yes, it took time for the handguns to be removed from the society.

By 2006 it was down to 16.

So when I say that death by gun is lower in MA, these gun death include a lower rate of death by suicide.

I may not be completely following. To be clear, what does MA stand for?

Iā€™m also unclear on how this conversation progressed, you posted about crime rates and income and ā€œFrontierā€, now you are talking about inferring causes of suicides in Australia based on women surviving more often?

I also looked up the buyback in the down under, and their 12 month buyback and amnesty period where they went after all the guns after the ban, ended in the middle of 1997. But suicides were higher in 97, and 98, and 99, than they were in 96 when the ban started?

Iā€™m also seeing the number of firearms suicides was in decline consistently from 1991 to 1998, and suicide deaths using firearms went from 389 in 1995, to 147 deaths in 2005.[

Over the same period, suicides by hanging increased from 699 in 1995 to 1068 in 2005.

Example

https://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/952361A2A29BDBB4CA25729D001C09CF/$File/33090_2005.pdf

Guns arenā€™t the problem and banning them isnā€™t a solution nor helpful.

Not that any of this has anything to do with US Cities and violent crime.

2 Likes

So background, I have a CCW permit from NM, I carry and I am also very liberalā€¦

By saying that crime rate and guns availability is a chicken/egg problem I was agreeing that I cannot cite any natural economic experiment that could show that less guns = less crime.

I shifted the argument in saying that less hand guns does lead (possibly) to less suicides in males and lets look at Australia as a possible example. So 18 months out we start to see a shift downward in successful killings via suicide for males

As for MA please never ask me to spell out Massachusetts again, its just to painfulā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl:

While weā€™re at it, letā€™s please never talk about Cincinnati or Albuquerque.

We can tell.

3 Likes

I would get used to having liberals at a concealed carry website, we are a large portion of new gun owners over the past five years.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad yā€™all are exercising your 2A rights. Iā€™m not trying to call people names. Iā€™d honestly like to hear what you think 46 has accomplished since you call yourself a liberal. Iā€™m asking for positive things and not throwing up the negatives. We had another thread that got shut down rather quickly. A new one would probably suffer the same fate.

Trolls :roll_eyes::neutral_face:

2A is a very liberal position. Classically speaking, Liberalism is supposed to empower and celebrate the ā€œcommoner.ā€ Even in recent memory, it was the American Liberals who were the self-declared champions of the Bill of Rights. I donā€™t know why it changed so quickly, but we seem to have a memory problem. Now we have people who think themselves to be liberal, but donā€™t even support the 1st Amendment. Thatā€™s a real problem, to me. I donā€™t find either political party to be friendly to true liberals, these days. But youā€™re welcome here, so long as you can tolerate the grumpy old men.

2 Likes

Well that speaks of the quality of conversation.

Lets try to hide this content here then.

1. I really like the Inflation Reduction Act, look past the name, if you believe as I do that Global Warming is an existential threat to humanity, then this is a very good law. It also makes health care insurance affordable for me personally.

2. I like that this guy kills terrorists

3. Having family across Europe, I like that the USA is no longer a laughing stock within the international order

1 Like

Love the ad hominem, way to improve the quality of the conversation!

Thanks for the honest reply. I appreciate it!

I had forgotten about #2 on your list.

coughAfghanistancough

Our perspective of how America is perceived is largely dependent on our sources. We live in the confirmation bias era. I can find a website to bolster any crazy idea I want to believe.

3 Likes

Remarkably my media sources here in the USA are right wing, I know my sides arguments.

In Europe I listen to family and friends, add to that a periodic Le Mode, Der Stern, Der Speigel plus the Guardian. All pretty main stream for that neck of the world. They all think that the Trump administration was disastrous for NATO, and the world as a whole. They are glad to see that the USA is back in its proper role as a key member of the Western Alliance.

As for Afghanistan, that was going to be a cluster f#$% whom ever pulled out, Biden at least had the balls to pull the plug.

You do realize no matter how it is looked at, this is going to increase inflation quite a bit.

There is zero in the bill that counters ā€œinflationā€
There is alot which will get passed down to the middle class who are going to get stuck paying even more for regular goods and services.

As I read it, the vast majority are tax credits, stuff has to be made for people to get these credits. It not direct payments. So very little inflationary pressure there unlike the COVID stimulus.

Iā€™d like to see the budget balanced. Was bj the last one to do it?

1 Like

Yep 2001.

1 Like