Mail Call - Sound off

I can’t fire President Biden but I’m done with Siri.

1 Like

Yep , Gotta have that time off for sure.

2 Likes

Back in the day when there was more than enough work and jobs ;
I never came back when I should have and always ( always ) overstayed
my vacations. I’m glad I did ( those were the best years of my life ).
PS: Enjoy it when you can, I’m glad I did.
PSS: I’m retired but I put my self on vacation last week cause every one else was but I forgot to take myself off vacation because I stopped taking
my Galantamine. Looks like I’m forgetting to cut the grass also.

4 Likes

Am I alone :question:just back into archery. To windy to shoot today and as I was putting around I realized I had many ( hundreds ) of arrows for 8 different bows and every kind of dudad for the sport, include stuff to put new veins and feathers on arrows with all the different jigs.feathers for righ wing, left wing all different color combos. I thought “ gee there was somthing on this site about archery and also fishing rods and I thought maybe I should take some pics of this stuff until I lost count of rods with reels not counting boxes of reels, that’s when I started laughing and thought no thats not normal and went in the house to have another drink.
( AM I ALONE :question: )

2 Likes

If you have really old items, you’d better check to see if they have collectible value - depending on age, rarity, and condition. If you have someone who appraises and sells sports gear, you might find some surprises. Old bows and fishing tackle - reels, rods, and lures, in boxes - can get you big $$. I had a couple of experiences with a player piano owner and another with 100+ piano rolls that made me want to slap them because of their la-de-dah behavior. Leave no stone unturned! I remember seeing a top-of-the-line, all-bamboo flyrod valued at $500 - it was made before fiberglass became the standard rod material. Check websites on vintage gear!

2 Likes

Just for a hoot, I looked up how much vintage lures were worth - one was a 10" minnow lure by Haskell valued at $100K+ - WITHOUT the box and folded paperwork!

2 Likes

Interesting but, information about a 40 degree angle shoulder was missed.

1 Like

Nope not alone , I m out here also. Archery just like bowling has become way more difficult to due to some right damage that happen on active duty.Can still shoot with right hand but not the function to pull a bow string back. But still very interested on what others are doing

2 Likes

Am I the only person that wonders if barrel length was measured from the case mouth instead of the breech face that short cartridges wouldn’t have a ballistic advantage?

2 Likes

Nope ; I wanted to document more info about ( Ackley Improved ) but I couldn’t find it. He designed a sharper neck angle to reduce throat erosion but ; also discovered that the sharper shoulder angle caused the powder burn to be more reflected back into the case for a more complete and consistent ignition.
PS: you get to see this stuff once you fall into that crazy wabbit hole.

1 Like

You could use a faster burning powder!

3 Likes

I e-mailed Nosler to suggest that they standardize the .243 and .30-'06 AIs as they did with the .280, plus the 7mm-08, along with the .41 Special - their response was positive, but time will tell. I have little interest in magnums, but I see no reason not to wring out as much performance in standard calibers as can be done.

3 Likes

If your not talking about the rabbit hole ; the sharper shoulder angle does reduce throat erosion IE: 220 swift. That is not imo, it’s a fact. When you do enough shooting to ( shoot throats out and buy new barrels ) this will be more important. FYI : average throat erosion in .223 within 400 ±
rounds is ± .024 “ . I have found that a sweet spot for a target load can be ± .010 “ . If you have the gauges this will become important information in order to measure bullet jump.
PS: if anyone is happy with their knowledge I’m happy for them.
Court et doux

2 Likes

It’s as simple as getting Ackley improved reloading dies, having the throat Reamed out and fire forming brass, or just pick a factory Cartridge that best suits your needs. If you are an average hunter or shooter theres not much need to step out of the box. I’ve never done it because I don’t think it’s worth the effort. The important thing about
what Ackley improved that I’m trying to bring out is that ( the sharper shoulder angle ) reduces throat erosion.
PS: thanks, set back may be involved.

1 Like

That would work for rimmed or belted cartridges. The barrel needs to be set back for bottleneck cartridges to get the crush fit. Otherwise you have headspace issues firing standard cartridges in the improved chamber

1 Like

@Barry54 >>

PS: multiple things can help throat erosion by changing the shoulder angle also reduces through erosion. Faster burning powders do have shorter dwell times but they also produce higher temperatures.

OAL gauge also straight for bolt rifles.
** OMG > let’s not forget the 22 K Hornet. ( rimmed case )

1 Like

You might get away with it but you can get ignition problems when fire forming because the entire shoulder isn’t making contact to resist the firing pin blow.
Yes he intended for factory cartridges to work in his improved chamber. You might not get lucky and have to create a false shoulder like making 30 Gibbs brass.

2 Likes

The hornet and K Hornet are rimmed. The rim controls the headspace.

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes