MAARS lethal force against humans

Probably some of member are aware of the MAARS weaponized robot, tested by US Army.
For these who never heard about, please check this links:

MAARS weaponized robot

MAARS | QinetiQ North America - YouTube

Recently San Francisco Police proposed using such robots in response to incindents.

Law Enforcement Equipment Policy - DRAFT

How far from, or close to “Robocop” justice are we?

5 Likes

It’s just the beginning…

Elysium Security

11 Likes

How long till I can do an ez pay for this with the f-15?

5 Likes

Also the thermal energy weapons. I watched a video some time back where they were testing it. They had it dialed to 2 with 10 max. Could make people dance like chickens LOL. Wonder whats going on with the battle suits they were testing?

4 Likes

I’m ok with all technologies applied to military missions.
I’m really scared thinking these could be used on streets against US Citizens.

5 Likes

Should we start learning to defend against them now?

5 Likes

Either that or build a better robot.

3 Likes

Elon Musk has been warning of the potential threats from AI for years. A good vid from 4 days ago, lots more on YT. :thinking:

5 Likes

Of all places, San Francisco. 1st question: I thought they were replacing police with social workers?
2nd question: Can this robot be hacked to receive shoot orders from the source it is not supposed to?

3 Likes

If you mean police that is physically incapable of arresting criminal VIPs? LOL

4 Likes

That was an amazing and quite scary interview. Elon is a smart, smart guy. He sees the way things can go.

I don’t like the neural interface idea he spoke of. I can imagine that many people would want that very badly. Imagine having instant neural communications with the entire compendium of human knowledge. It reminds me of the Borg on Star Trek. Or prehaps the mark of the beast?

AI is coming. I just hope our AI is way better than Chinese AI. We are screwed otherwise. We are probably screwed at this point anyway. We cannot let ourselves be disarmed, ever.

3 Likes

We have nothing to worry about! We have laws…

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

4 Likes

It reminds me of advanced genetic engineering technology, that was supposed to create marvels, but led to blood clots, SADS, etc. You cannot have neural links and knowledge uploads when you dont undrstand how the brain works in the 1st place, and when you have strong denial of science and human nature rule the day.

No, it aint. Speaking as IT professional.

3 Likes

Do you think AI will ever truly be realized, or will it just take longer than people would expect?

1 Like

Nice!

Isaac Asimov’s 3 Laws of Robotics. I always enjoyed the elegance of Asimov’s laws.

4 Likes

I hope not. I would always prefer a human in the OODA loop, rather than autonomous A.I.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Commenting so I can find this page again.

3 Likes

Bookmark it👍

5 Likes

There are 2 kinds of AI. Purpose built AI can solve specific problems, such as driving a vehicle, or discovering new medicines, or managing a hotel. We already have these, they can be quite good, but you must realize, the AI doesnt understand what it is doing, in what context, or for what purpose.

Another kind of AI is referred to as “strong” or “general-purpose AI”. This is supposed superhuman intelligence that can be beyond our ability to control or even comprehend. I believe it will nevet happen. There are multiple reasons to think so. For example, the concept of human cognition that has self-contained brain in its center, is likely wrong. There are scientists that point out toward a model where the brain acts more like a receiver for information that exists independenly of human life.
2nd reason, if mechanistic AI were possible, we would see cognition everywhere around us. Anything that offers evolutionary advantage, the Nature has it. Our best AIs are on part with information processing capabilities of slime mold. Bugs are a lot more advanced. Oldest fossilized brains are about 550 million years old. Plenty of time to develop cognition in multiple branches of the Tree of Life - and yet, nothing.

2 Likes