Boston Dynamics’ Robot Dog Is Now Armed—in the Name of Art

3 Likes

“Michael Perry, the company’s vice president of business development, says Spot’s terms of use prohibit violent uses of the robot.”

If someone is determined, that’s going to be about as effective as a Gun Free Zone sign on a convenience store door. Anyway, I thought non-violence was supposed to be built in, per Asimov’s First Law of Robotics.

Thanks for the article.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought I would have a robot maid named Rosie, an automatic dog walker, a flying car, and everytime I interacted with technology due to me being a veteran. The tech would ask me " DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE" because we had to nuke stuff from orbit cause that was the only way we could be sure!

1 Like

You know…there was a movie back in the 80’s cautioning us about this sort of thing. We seem not to be listening and determined to build SKYNET. lol.

I don’t mind armed drones. Drones have humans actually making the decisions.

I do mind armed robots. Robots have no business deciding who they’re going to kill. This robot may only have a paintball gun, but there is no mechanical difference. A robot who can shoot paint can shoot bullets.

1 Like

Hey Zavier_D DYK

If you put an Alexa on top of a roomba, you would basically have a prototype of Rosie from the Jetsons?

1 Like

Don’t forget the skirt and mob cap.
:rocket:

1 Like

Azimov was always trying to find ways to subvert his own laws of robotics without actually breaking them. So if I remember right (its been a long time since I’ve read his stories) in one of the books, the people on one planet hating everybody else gave their robots a very specific definition of human and ordered them to exterminate any non-humans that may appear on their planet. The robots then determined their masters did not meet the definition of human and killed them.

1 Like

That defines dystopian Stuart9