AI Future and Robotics

I just watched a video revealing Japan’s decades ahead technology of humanoid realistic robots that perform EVERY function of a woman. It’s quite disturbing. But I had a thought regarding all of this AI robotics. Would government eventually replace police officers with AI androids? What would be the consequences? Would that eliminate “qualified immunity”? Etc.?

3 Likes

Very ironic since Tesla’s have a self drive mode launching today. As far as police? Think the first step will be replacing local law enforcement with a federal police force. I agree AI is an issue, so is trancendence (human consciousness into computers.) Sounds like sci fi, but scientists are actively working towards that. It is decades off, but it will become an issue at some point in human history.

4 Likes

The Tesla T800…they may be onto something…

Trjs67656

5 Likes

Android police — aside from being a dystopian B-movie theme — seems to present much the same problem as self-driving cars and autonomous weapons systems (I guess that’s the tie-in to USCCA for this topic :astonished: ). Who will be accountable for the errors? Because where there is a program or programmer, there will be errors or bias.

Who is to own the errors? The vendor? The purchaser? The taxpayer? The victims?

That genie is not ready to be out of the bottle — I think the technology is human generations ahead of the ethics questions. I don’t know why we let boosterism override practical social justice again and again. Too busy batting at moths, I guess. :worried:

3 Likes

You don’t have to be Arnold to see where that’s headed. WE WON’T BE BACK!! :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Maybe Artificial Intelligence could be a good thing. There’s so little of the REAL intelligence in the world today, especially in the fields of politics and academia.

4 Likes

Anybody see the see the self driving floor cleaners at wally-mart? The first time that thing came up behind me my first reaction was to draw, I actually had my hand on my pistol as I heard it behind me. That was just creepy. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I’ve heard of a couple of cases where people call the cops because they hear someone downstairs. When the police get there they find the AI Vacuum running around doing what it’s supposed to do.

4 Likes

:rofl: I have seen that to, I wonder is anyone has killed one yet? :rofl:

4 Likes

I believe “strong” AI is fundamentally impossible. Purpose built AI - sure, e.g. software predicting violent tendency of a subject during traffic stop. But AI will never understand the goal of what it is doing, and can never replace human intelligence, only enhance it.

4 Likes

Actually transcendence means that a human beings “soul” populates a computer after the body dies gaining immortality. Yup, some scientists are that screwed up. AI is what it is. There are actually computers that have been programmed with “Self awareness” and the ability to learn.

Interesting topic. Wonder what caliber would be used on a self aware android gone amuck heck bent on killing me. Can’t carry a 500 xframe or 50 AE in my neck of the woods. Probably need a .454 casull, 41 mag or 44 mag. The large caliber magnum revolver might be the necessary form of self protection in our AI gone amuck future.

3 Likes

But this is not an AI, it is a human being. Idea of an AI cop attracts folks, because they think they can program this super-cop with political agenda of the day. Can you imagine the horror if the super-cop is more like Sheriff Grady Judd X 1000, than a social worker with purple hair?

Ray Kurzweil offers this idea of replacing neuron after neuron with a nano-computer, until the whole brain is artificial, then making replicas of this cyborg. Good luck, in my humble opinion. This is a mechanical view, baseless and primitive theory of how the brain works. I am coming from the belief that consciousness comes from outside the body, not from the inside. This doesn’t fit with Kurzweil’s philosophy at all.

The article you mentioned speaks of neural networks, Python, etc. We do this dreck at work. There are legit uses, e.g., for law enforcement - analysis of illegal money flow and such. What our business targets, without going into any detail… I cringe at the thought of potential discrimination lawsuits and embarrassing press. The “I” in “AI” is what business analysts spell out, no more, no less, and if you start from some social progressive notion, no depth in neural network is going to turn it magically into “Intelligence”, but the so called AI will amplify the BS until angry customer demands refund.

3 Likes

So we have arrived!

5 Likes

Don’t forget the Zeroth law.

"A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.”

4 Likes

Ah the dream of benevolent deity. It takes away freedom of will, turns into a giant totalitarian

7 Likes

I don’t believe robot cops are in the near term future (maybe 5 or more years out). Amazon has one now, a short robot that can perform some basic tasks. It has one major fault though, it loves to commit suicide by throwing itself down stairs. Tesla does have some cars that will “self drive” but when they screw up it puts the driver and other drivers at risk, so a human is still at the wheel. Boston Dynamics has some interesting prototypes that can do some neat tricks too, but again much human intervention is needed. Currently the best we can do is robot floor cleaners. All they seem to do well is vacuum and provide transportation for felines.

2 Likes

I wish a had a link handy, there was a nice critique on this “robot”. It is nothing close to AI, with the likely goal to normalize cameras on wheels rolling around private areas of homes. Security-wise - it is unacceptable. But then I think Alexa is also unacceptable, after I heard about research that can diagnose mental illness by recorded voice clips. Alexa data may be treasure trove to insurance companies. Sorry, not around my house.

3 Likes

I never thought the police robot scene in Elysium was that far fetched or even very far off into the future. The automatons keeping the miserable mass of humanity under control, while the elites live isolated and in luxury.

3 Likes

How shocking. Still want that robot with a camera?

An unknown party recently hacked at least 700 smart home devices across South Korea and sold explicit images and videos accessed through the devices on the dark web, South Korea’s National Police confirmed Monday when announcing a criminal investigation into the incident.