Looking to purchase a firearm, but how to check legal status of said firearm?

A friend of mine received a firearm as a gift from his child for a birthday present, and he wants to sell it off needing extra money for the holiday season I suppose. how would i go about checking the history of said firearm before making my purchase? I trust the friend but don’t really know much about the daughter that gifted him the firearm.

3 Likes

I don’t know of a readily available way of doing that.

You can also do the transfer through an FFL, both of you go to to a gun store/FFL and you fill out a 4473 so you have that documentation

9 Likes

As @Nathan57 said. Go through FFL.

5 Likes

A friend huh? Welcome to the community. FFL is the only way I know. Gun should be unloaded and in a box when you hand it to FFL.(gun store or someplace they sell guns)

5 Likes

Take the serial number and take it to the nearest LEO station. Here they will run the number for you.

9 Likes

Welcome

5 Likes

Law enforcement can run a background check for you. Even if it comes back clean, you may still want to go through a FFL. If you live in a state where this is not required for a private sale, you should print off a bill of sale for said firearm, have both parties sign and date it, and get a copy of both drivers licenses. As a minimum, both of you then need to keep a copy of that in your safes for at least a few decades, if not the rest of your lives.

6 Likes

I have done the same in MI. years ago. It turned up hot. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

What happened after? Were there questions on whereabouts of the item?

3 Likes

Yes and No. This was MSP in Iron Co. MI. in the 90s. I was told the Insurance Co. had already settled the claim and didn’t want to pursue the case. If they had he would have confiscated it and opened an investigation.
As I had several friends at MSP he gave it back to me and told me to get rid of it. :sweat_smile:
The gun was a Contender single shot in .44 mag.

5 Likes

yeah a coworker of mine, very stand-up dude, however his older daughter had some legal issues awhile back so that’s why I’m wanting to look into it more before I unknowingly make a mistake by purchasing it…
it’s a FN FNX 45, brand new in case with all original packaging an paperwork, everything…

3 Likes

you had just the numbers an it came back hot? or physical possession of it?

3 Likes

Possession of it. :+1:

4 Likes

Even if not legally required where you live, I recommend printing a 4473 and having the buyer fill it out. If there is a problem down the road - such as a felony conviction they didn’t disclose - you have an FFL document on which the buyer lied. You can search online, or ask a local FFL, what the disqualification questions are on the 4473. If they are not legally able to purchase a firearm then don’t sell it to them. If you are lucky, you might be able to find a local FFL that will run the 4473 through NICS for you (they will probably charge a few bucks - but worth the peace of mind).

4 Likes

I am not a lawyer or LEO. The only other advice I can give is “let your conscience be your guide”. I can’t help you with that.

4 Likes

I think I’d run far and fast. If you do not absolutely know the gun is legal Don’t Buy It.

3 Likes

Ironically, law enforcement is focused on WHO buys a firearm, not on recovering stolen firearms. Unless the firearm was stolen AND the owner reported the serial number of said firearm to the police, you MIGHT be able to identify whether the firearm is stolen IF you ask the right police department, and that department has easily searchable records.

In many states, you will have to undergo a background check to buy a firearm and agree to a waiting period, 'cause that’s what government cares about – checking your brackground and making it a crime for you to lie on its forms – not tracking stolen guns.

6 Likes

Trust your spidey senses.
Brand new does not necessarily mean
not previously stolen.

6 Likes

Unless you are trying to find the “rightful” owner, it doesn’t really matter how/where/who obtained the firearm. If you commit a crime with it, the crime is the issue, not the firearm or how you obtained it. As @BeanCounter stated, trust your gut. We do that with Situational Awareness - this is no different.

Tracing will only find who originally purchased the firearm from an FFL. That is separate from how well preserved, documented, etc., it is, like a fine bottle of expensive wine or Scotch.

6 Likes

I personally would say here is the CASH!
Keep your mouth closed
Thank you very much (and enjoy)

Welcome Daniel538

WWG1WGA
No step on snek

6 Likes