Looking at Shoulder Holsters....Pro or Con?

I am looking at shoulder holsters for my 92FS. I had used outside the pants, inside the pants and none of them are very comfy. Looking at Galco rigs. What is everyone thoughts on Shoulder Holsters?

4 Likes

Check these threads out:

Looks there is at least 1 person who wears shoulder holster.

I have an alien gear shape shift shoulder rig. I didn’t skimp on price, but I’ve been pretty dissatisfied with it.

3 Likes

It’s alright @Bugleboy, I got quite a few I didn’t skimp on and hate them.

But they remain in my small armory.

3 Likes

I returned all of my alien Gear stuff. Way too big, despite the intriguing design.

1 Like

I have had a few shoulder rigs over the years including one custom made.

My advice is leather not anything with elastic on them.

I have never tried a hybrid but for all the different ones I have had, leather (with the crossing pattern across the back) for me has been the most comfortable and longest lasting.

1 Like

I like shoulder rigs when I am driving, the seat belt is no problem and I am not digging a hold in the seat bolster.
I am using a Galco unit to carry my CZ75B, it carrys the weight very well and the weapon is fast to retrive. I always use a cover garmet and have no problems at all.

Larry

2 Likes

I have two Galco shoulder holsters. I replaced the stock straps with their 2.75" straps. First you have to assemble it, then you have to adjust it, then you have to let the leather “break in” to your body shape, then you have to adjust it again. I will be purchasing another Galco SH in the future (probably a Galco J@ck@ass Rig for my M9).

I also use it for a bedstand holster, as it’s easy to toss on and already has extra magazines (or w/e you want to put in the magazine pouches).

On the other hand, I usually only use them when I have a heavy jacket. I don’t trust an open shirt/sweater to not accidentally show it, and if I zipper up a loose sweater/fleece, it looks like I have a small dictionary under both of my armpits.

2 Likes

I saw a Facebook ad for one selling for $39.99, made in USA.

Well I used to use shoulder holsters at one time, it works for some people. I personally like IWB/OWB 4:00 o’clock position kydex holsters. If you like shoulder holsters I’m no going to discourage you, just practice with it until you are comfortable drawing your gun from that position and also try other ways. Pros. At least your wearing a gun, Cons. It’s slower to get to it you have to unsnap to release depending on the holster and to me IMO it’s not a natural draw.

1 Like

@Scotty have you tried letting your gear hang lower? Might make a huge difference in feel and may actually help conceal things a bit better under a loosely hung shirt or light jacket. Good luck. And to the OP Galco is very good. Get the larger shoulder hangers, the comfort is worth it. I carry both vertically or horizontal depending on the weapon. Use a magazine holder on the other side to balance the load. Adjustment is everything.

1 Like

I actually love my alien gear shoulder rig. I used it for my full size 1911.

3 Likes

Mine is for my Para P14-45.

2 Likes

I have not. I am fairly active and don’t have the tie downs, so I keep them as far up as necessary. I might give it a try though and see if it makes a difference.

3 Likes