Loaded 9mm magazines stolen from vehicle - obligation to report to police?

My vehicle was recently broken into at work. One of the items take was my gun bag with two magazines loaded with 9mm rounds. Fortunately my pistol was not in the car. My concern is, am I obligated to report the stolen rounds when I file the police report for the car break in? The fact that this happened in my employer’s staff parking lot may lead to questions about concealed carry on company property, which I do not want to disclose. Also, for insurance purposes, am I obligated to report the stolen mags and ammo?

7 Likes

It’s up to you… but you should think about the worst case… meaning your fingerprints are all over the ammo casings… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

14 Likes

@Evelyn2 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you. :slightly_smiling_face:
That’s a tough one, dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @Evelyn2

2 Likes

I’ve had my bag in my Jeep with no firearm in it. Sometimes I go straight from the gym to the range so I’ll keep my EDC in my gym bag and leave my range bag in the car. Seems to me, instead of acting like you were doing something wrong, you might simply report it and call it recreational equipment.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family @Evelyn2. You would hope that who ever stole them doesn’t use them in the commission of a crime. Like having a firearm compatible to the magazines. I say it wouldn’t hurt to report them stolen.

9 Likes

I haven’t stayed in a Comfort Inn, and I am not a lawyer but, having your car broke into at work definitely should be reported and the fact it was broke into at work is a safety factor to other employees that work there. As for the magazines being stolen and only the magazines not your gun is a bonus. If the question of having your gun on you comes up by your employer remember what you do on your own time is your own business. Just do not be rude about it.
My question is, what have you learned? Do you think you should have a safe in your vehicle? and store your mags and ammo in it?

10 Likes

I don’t see how it could hurt. Even if your employer prohibits CC a magazine is not a gun.

7 Likes

Welcome to the site @Evelyn2
The moral question is up to you.( if it was a question )
I hope a lawyer and insurance person can answer your other two question.
As far as not letting people know you are carrying concealed I think it is a good idea not to advertise it but not be to worried about it either. If it is against company policy I would do my best not to let anyone know.

3 Likes

I personally would report it to the police. That way if your finger prints ever show up at a crime scene you will have valid proof that you were not involved.

I think it would be very unlikely that your employer would have access to the information in the police report. In the unlikely event they do learn of the magazines you could just say you had left the bag in your vehicle after going to the range on your off time which is likely a true statement if you regularly leave that bag in your vehicle.

4 Likes

But if she new the victim or perpetrator of the crime. It may be proof of her guilt. Just sayin. I don’t think it would prove she was not involved. I don’t follow the logic.

I can’t imagine that would be an obligation (insurance or legal or otherwise)

But the “for insurance purposes” leads me to believe the most direct channel is to ask your insurance company/policy point of contact.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

4 Likes

Likely your coverage for the loss is through your insurance company, not your employer.
If the damage and loss is greater than your deductible, I’d definitely file a claim.
Regarding the ammo however, if you live in CA, you’re probably toast.

5 Likes

Are you filing a police report for insurance purposes?
I would disclose to LE the loss of loaded magazines to cover my arse.

However, if you lost in the break-in a significant amount, an insurance investigator might get involved and in the process, contact your employer about policies at work.

Couple loaded mags cost what, $150?
I won’t worry much about recovering the cost.

3 Likes

This part interests me.

Kind of seems like way none of their business to me. But, I wouldn’t know I’m not a lawyer or anything

I’m just wondering if, like, your insurance could deny paying for it because it was against employer policy to have that? That would, surprise me

2 Likes

I’m more concerned about insurance person disclosing to HR the loss of firearm-related items while on the clock.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m naive but I’m wondering why your insurance company would even be contacting the employer about it (for a car in a parking lot) let alone sharing your personal list of items stolen with the employer.

I suppose if that is a concern, ask the insurance company before providing the info if that is something they might do, right from the horse’s mouth, and proceed based on their response.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find it anymore but I once read of a guy whose car needed to be towed from work parking lot and sent to the shop. In the process, he had to move his portable gun safe to another car. He got fired.
Anecdotal at this point without a link to the news article.

2 Likes

I believe it. But, was it because his insurance company called up his employer and told them?

No, it was unintentional that HR found out about the gun safe in his car. Prying eyes.

2 Likes