WHAT.SHOULD YOU DO? IF THE MAGAZINE .HAS CAME OUT OF YOUR EDC. And you can not find it

Do you need to report this to your local law enforcement?? Because you have your fingerprints all over the rounds?? And some one could use it to commit a crime?? Has this happened to anyone . I have a friend who works at the truck stop!! And he has found APC. 45, Magazine. One .AND ANOTHER TWO DAYS LATER . And could I get in trouble for buying them for 20,dollars each . If I was to buy them ??:feather::feather::us:

3 Likes

I would check the lost and found. If someone finds one they should turn them into lost and found.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this one for a couple hours now @BobbyJean. My thought conclusion is it is a good idea to report it missing for that very tiny chance your fingerprints might show up in an investigation into a crime, i.e., CYA.

From what I have read, successfully pulling and identifying fingerprints off an unfired cartridge is very difficult under perfect circumstances. Pulling and identifying fingerprints off a fired cartridge is next to impossible because of the heat, pressure against the inside of the chamber, and wiping inside the chamber during loading and extraction. Your fingerprints are more likely to show up on the magazine, which doesn’t usually get recovered at a crime scene.

3 Likes

Do not buy the magazines. Have your friend contact local law enforcement with specific details of where, when, how they were found.

Several years back I went to a 2-day training event in a neighboring town. About 30 area shooters signed up for the same training. My Wife and I drove in early for the first day of training, trained all day, got a hotel room, went out to eat… Mini vacation. Arrived the next day and trained a full second day.

The training was good and was sponsored by local law enforcement in that town, so LOTS of uniformed officers around. The shooters area had a long bench set up for us to store our gear and each shooter had about a 3x3 portion of the bench for extra ammo, range bags, spare mags and such. I took four spare mags to use in training with two additional 2 mag carriers. I took off my EDC mag carrier with my EDC mags full of Hornady 124 grain Critical Defense 9mm and put on both 2 mag carriers with 4 mags full of S&B 124 grain FMJ. The EDC mags and carrier were in the range bag.

At the end of the second day, I discover the EDC mags and carrier are gone. I latched onto a range officer and complained. A search was implemented with the remaining shooters, Several had already departed. The magazines were not found. I filed a report and basically wrote it all off.

6 months later I got a visit from Detectives from that municipality wanting to know how my fingerprints got on brass found at a crime scene. I went back through the story of the missing magazines with the report being filed.

It turned out that the magazines had been lifted by another shooter during the second day of training. He had used the magazines in his weapon in a self-defense situation and the crime lab found my prints on the brass. His self-defense situation was clean. He did everything right and no charges were filed. He was charged with stealing my magazines, though. He hired a slick lawyer and basically said “Oh, it must have been a mistake because they looked just like mine.” He and I were the only shooters using Beretta 92 pistols so the same magazine is correct, but he was way off on the end of the bench and I was in the middle. He got a slap on the wrist and a finger wagging from the judge. “Be more careful next time.”

I never got the magazines back not any reimbursement. The mags, rounds and carrier have long since been replaced.

8 Likes

Robert 1246 BROTHER THE TIME HAS CAME THAT IF SOMEONE ELSE FINDS A MAGAZINE THEY . DO NOT LIKE GUNS. Or THEY JUST FEEL LIKE FINDERS KEEPERS. THATS MOST LIKELY THE CASE . NOT TO MENTION. If you are traveling where did you last stop ? And you could already be five hundred miles away from your used to be magazine brother LOVE Bobby Jean . :feather::feather::100::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::bangbang:

2 Likes

Dang @BruceE, that is quite an unexpected and unfortunate experience. Thank you for sharing :+1:

4 Likes

Bruce that is what I tried to tell the guy he is not really a friend he works at the truck shop and he is ON THE STUFF AND HE ONLY LOOKS AT THAT AS HE IS GOING TO GET PAID . And I definitely don’t want any thing to do with it . But no matter what the tweker is going to sell it and in a small town you don’t want to be on bad terms with the people who are on drugs sir . . So I just don’t want all them problems . I have lots my magazines and that hurts because a full magazine is over 60, DOLLARS EAZY. Love Bobby Jean SIR :us::feather::feather::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::100::100::100::bangbang::beer::mask::mask::sparkles::sparkles:

2 Likes

It didn’t fall out of my firearm. I was pocket carrying my wifes .380 at the Home Depot. Upon exiting the store I pulled my keys out of my pocket, never heard the extra magazine hit the ground! Once locked in my car, a gentleman walks over to the driver side window, knocking with the magazine in hand, you can imagine my surprise. It didn’t show on my face. I rolled ( opened ) the window, smiled said thank you, and silently thanked God I live in a very gun friendly state!

If it were a blue state, SWAT would have arrived in less than a second, bomb squad would have been enroute, FBI would have surrounded my house and interpol would have been dispatched!

4 Likes

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

I do not know of any jurisdiction in the US in which you are obligated to report a lost or stolen magazine (loaded or not) to LE.

3 Likes

Scott 52 sir. BROTHER THAT WAS BLESSED . And you are right. IF YOU DROP A MAG IN THE WRONG STATE OR A GUN FREE ZONE . Its straight. To jail. I put duct tape just a little strip on the bottom of All my edc.s. JUST SO I DONT LOSE MY MAGAZINE . And I know that slows down my reload but I have a magazine to defend myself from not having a magazine in my edc. SIR. LOVE YOU BROTHER THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR :heart::white_heart::blue_heart::feather::feather::tiger2::us::us::us::beer::popcorn::bangbang::100:Bobby Jean .SIR :bangbang::100:

2 Likes

Nathan 57. That being very true.SIR. I KNOW I WOULD BE HAVING PROBLEMS IN THE BACK OF MY MIND ABOUT IF MY ROUNDS WITH MY FINGERS PRINTS WERE GOING TO BE FOUND AT THE SEEN OF A CRIME SIR . I. JUST DO NOT WANT TO TAKE THAT CHANCE BECAUSE A LOT OF INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE IN PRISON FOR A CRIME THEY DID NOT COMMIT . ??? SIR STAY SAFE LOVE Bobby Jean . Thank you for YOUR SERVICE SIR :heart::white_heart::blue_heart::100::100::us::us::us::100::feather::feather::tiger2::beer::popcorn::+1:

2 Likes