Light weight gun safes

It’s according to what kind of safe you’re looking for and what kind of guns you are trying to hide. I have ordered a shelf safe for my wife and my guns for when we have my niece here so they are locked up.
https://www.tacticaltraps.com/specialoffer7774/index.php

1 Like

I totally found it, @Damon but I knew what I was looking for. :smiley:

@Fred how many firearms are you looking to lock up? And are they all handguns or a mixture of handguns and long guns? That will definitely make a difference as to what will work best.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply! I TOTALLY agree with you about you get what you pay for. I’ve also delved and still am involved with locks myself so kewel! I was thinking of something that in case someone broke into my house it would retard them long enough to be discouraged from taking any of my firearms or keep that at bay long enough until the cops got here from my alarm system. I’m not pipe dreaming or anything. The biggest thing is to have a place for them when I have grandkids around. so they’re locked up. If I had the room or the way to support moving one, I’d just get the Gardall. Good suggestion! Thank you tons!

2 Likes

I would look for an old style upright school locker. You could fit it in a closet if you wanted to and can fortify it and line the inside in a variety of ways. You could easily lag it to wall studs, the floor, a foundation etc.

Depending on what you’re storing, you could run a lag style eye bolt through the back into a stud and run a cable through it and lock your weapons up inside with that, in addition to the lock on the outside.

The possibilities of adding security features to it are endless, and in the end you don’t have something that advertises there are firearms inside a cheaper style safe.

2 Likes

So are you talking hand guns, long guns or both to keep in this safe?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: What Brand of Heavy Safe Do You Suggest?

Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. That may just be the ticket. I’ve been holding out for some electrical boxes as they’re fairly heavy gage and lock well. Those are pretty spendy to buy new though.

3 Likes

Talking about a mix of firearms

1 Like

My suggestion is get as much quality as you can afford with the features you want. I personally on my last purchase bought one that was twice as big as I thought I needed. (Glad I now have two that will hold long guns and still not as much room as I would like).

2 Likes

Hey Bud! I totally agree with you. My problem is where to put it and I have an older house where I’d have to do a bunch of remodeling to support the weight of a safe. That’s why I’m looking for something lighter but secure enough to discourage thieves. I don’t want to spend Xteenthousand dollars to be able to first off, carry a safe into my house and second of support the weight. I think I found a fair solution at the show last week. Just have to make up my mind what to do. Thanks for the suggestion though! Have a super day!!!

@BrophE you might want to post the link to that sleek looking tactical safe here. @Fred this one won’t need you to remodel your floor, although it won’t hold an arsenal.

@Fred are you looking for something more stationary or something you can take with you?

1 Like

Where is it? Did you send me a link?

1 Like

Just trying to figure what exactly to do. I’m not sure what I want, but I’ll know when I see it. Someone suggested a school locker which may do the trick. Since I’m in the electrical field, I was thinking about an electrical enclosure. I’ve designed them and they’re pretty tough. Never designed one to be a safe though LOL!

1 Like

I have 3 Gun Boxes, like them because I can place them around the house and keep one in my car for trips to post office, courts, and other federally prohibited locations.

ReferralCandy | Best Customer Referral Program Software for Ecommerce Stores

1 Like

@fred, I think @BrophE has it… Broph?

Posted above @Zee & @Fred

1 Like

Buy a quality gun safe. Most burglaries only take a few minutes, the burglar or burglars do not want to be in the house longer than they want to, its usually property they can grab and run with, most of the time they do want to muck around with a safe that is going to tie them down when they can be grabbing other stuff.

2 Likes

Fort Knox pistol boxes are solid and reliable for one gun.
https://www.ftknox.com/product-category/pistol-boxes/

Not to derail the thread, but I have pondered reinforcing the door frame of a small closet and installing a metal door with a dead bolt as an alternative to the safe. Mainly for protection against a smash and grab, maybe with a few things that might not fit in a traditional safe…

Decent idea, or waste of time?