What Brand of Heavy Safe Do You Suggest?

If this should be a topic of its own, let me know and I’ll delete it and start one. I just wanted to get the expert opinion of @Fred and @DBrogue since they have locksmith experience. My brother recommended this brand safe (sorry it isn’t light weight), what do you guys think about the locking system they have? https://www.sturdysafe.com/
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

1 Like

I made it a new topic for you, @Shepherd! :slight_smile: It will be easier for everyone to find this way.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it and didn’t mean to muddy the waters in the other thread. It sounded like Fred and DBrogue have the locksmith experience to weigh in on the quality of the locking device. Thanks again for making it a new topic.

2 Likes

Anytime, @Shepherd! And remember, you can always tag someone when you start a new topic if you’re interested in their input! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Shepherd

I have not dived in deep yet (still at work) but what I have looked at looks good. Did you have any particular model in mind or just the company in general?

1 Like

@DBrogue, thank you for taking the time to investigate the issue for me. I haven’t looked at them in several months, but was looking at Model 2822 I believe. I was thinking of the two lock model system with one spin dial, one electric.

1 Like

@Shepherd

While I dont see anything wrong with the choice I am not sure I would want to go that route. S & G (Sargent and Greenleaf) make and excellent dial combination pack. I have also worked with their electronic dials. When it is all said and done I will take the mechanical dial over the electronic one for myself. Here are some of my reasons.

1). I dont trust electronics. (I started building computers back in the late 80s early 90s). There are too many ways for them to fail and you not know until it is too late.

1. An EMP would take it out and now you cannot get in your safe unless you know how to drill it (depending on the hard plate not and easy nor fast task).

2. The batteries could go dead while you are away and you might never know it until you try to get in. Granted you can just change the batteries and it will work again but what if you needed it open now…

3. Someone could spill liquid on the dial (unlikely but possible) and fry the electronics. You once again cannot get in your safe (unless you are really lucky and after it dries out it works again) so once again you have to drill it to get it open.

I could go on but I think you are getting the idea.

Now I do own and use a safe with an electronic dial (more than one in fact) but I also have more than one safe with mechanical dials also. It comes down to this, what do you like and what are you comfortable with?

For my situation I do not feel the need to have two dials on one safe, reminds me of the nuclear release codes I worked with in the Army (12E). No one man had both combinations.

Hope this helps and if you have other questions feel free to ask. If you are not comfortable asking in the public forum feel free to send me a private message.

Don

1 Like

First and foremost, I want to thank you for the time invested in checking out the safe and also your response, it is very much appreciated. I agree with all you said about electronic locks. I have a biometric electronic small safe for two pistols, but it also has both a button combo in case it doesn’t read your fingerprint and a key lock in case the batteries are dead. So I feel confident I can get into it in any situation. (as an aside, I will say, in four years it has only misread my fingerprint a couple of times so I have confidence in it) I will have to check out Sargent and Greenleaf. Thanks again for sharing your expertise and time.

1 Like

Sturdy Safe is highly respected. If I outgrow my current safe (the builder no longer in business but they made safes for the National Forest ranger stations) I’ll get a Sturdy if I can afford it.
No electronic locks for me though

Liberty safe
Go mechanical dial

1 Like

@DBrogue You ever run across a Mas-Hamilton lock system (X-07). It works off static electricity and an LED display. I have two of them I have never had an issue but the EMP thing bothers me a bit. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Craig6

Honestly I have never come across one. I will have to look it up and see what I can find out about it

Don