Gun safe but which one?

Been contemplating getting a gun safe but which one? I have 3 or 4 long guns but about 10 pistols. All the advertising is “we’er the #1 rated”, but I figure actual ppl that own one should be the place to ask.

What brand do you have and why?

Bigger is better. What do you want it to do for you? Most of them are from China and are layers of steel.

1 Like

Where do you intend to install it and how many more guns do you intend to buy?
How much do you want to spend and are there any required features required by state law?
OK that doesn’t answer your question, but it is thought worthy of your consideration.

I bought my safe many moons ago before there was an internet or gun safe dealers all over the place.
I was spending a lot of time overseas and needed a safe. I went to a ranger station and asked them which brand safe they used and bought the same make and model.
It’s worked well for me, but maybe not for you since the local guy who built them to USFS specs retired.

If I needed to buy a new safe today I’d seriously consider either a Sturdy

Or for a modular design, Zanotti

Either with a dial lock, please.
For a pistol only box
FAS1

How and where you install your safe has a lot to do with how much protection against thieves you can expect.

4 Likes

I try to avoid made in China whenever I can. Mostly I want to a safe place to hold (3) 10-22s, cpl shotguns, a deer rifle and 10-12 pistols. Most are not the most valuable but have sentimental value. Mostly want to make it hard for thieves to get there hands easily.

1 Like

If there is a gun safe dealer in your town, pay them a visit, especially if you’re on a budget.
It’s common for customers to buy a gun safe only to out grow it in a few years and trade the old safe in on a bigger one.
This could be beneficial if they have a trade in of higher rated safe for the price of a new Chinese import with a lower rating.
I’d still want a dial lock though.

2 Likes

Excellent idea. Didn’t think of that, hank you

1 Like

Take whatever amount of guns you’re planning to store multiply by at least 2.5 and make sure it’s fire pre proof so you can store your ammo in it

That’s why I have 2 $afes now.

Neither safe will hold anywhere what it says it will.

From what I he have seen Liberty makes real good ones.

5 Likes

Took me a year of research, and I’m a big fan of LibertySafes.com

I made the mistake of starting small! “I stayed home, should have gone big!
Everything was based on budget, available home space, and size of collection, which has tripled since I got my first safe.
Fire ratings and EMP resistant locks! I shouldn’t have to say,
MADE IN THE U.S.A.
You wouldn’t buy an American flag with the little, made in China tag, would you?

Some women have a shoe closet…

6 Likes

Zavier_D is on the right track. You really need two safes to be “safe”. One for the firearms and one for the ammo, and the most time in fire tolerance.

5 Likes

You should also consider environmental factors where you will be placing your safe. Humidity is of primary concern here. Will you need a dehumidifier? If so, so you want one you can plug in directly to 110v, or one you will have to remove from the safe and recharge elsewhere? If the later, will you need two, so that there will always be one in the safe. If the former then you will either need a safe with a built-in outlet or be prepared to install one yourself. As a rule of thumb, whatever size you think you will need, scale up by 1.5X to 2X, (that humidity protection you are providing is good for spare/extra optics, flashlights, or anything else electrical or electronic (shot timer, for example). My safe is in an interior clothes closet - it has two fire sprinkler heads. For me, fire rating was not a major consideration. For you, it might be. Good shopping!

5 Likes

And now you see why I started with this!

My first was a Sentry cube. It was…fine. I’m now onto a full sized safe and wish that I had two. I could fit slips of paper in there now, but no actual firearms.

3 Likes

That is so true. I only have at least several handguns, but the safe I bought quite a while back is more full than I imagined when I bought it - and I am not even big on buying firearms. I have not bought one in at least 4 years. If I obtain a couple of more, I will definitely need a larger safe. I don’t store my ammo in it, there is no room for that.

2 Likes

Now double that number, and go up a tier for actual capacity. :smile:

3 Likes

Appreciated. A family member is reluctant to becoming a firearm guardian, for their fear of someone at home getting into it.

I’ve been looking into safes for them and different types of locks, in case it appeals to them.

I see how for some it can be just as important if not more, than the firearm itself.

3 Likes

Safes with good fire resistance aren’t just good for guns. You can keep important papers in there, as well. My cousin was a Captain in the town fire Dept. I noticed that his refrigerator door was full of important papers. He told me that he had seen many refrigerators that went through a total loss fire and they stayed closed. Something to consider…

2 Likes

Have a budget, do your research. I recommend against electronic keypads. If there is an emp event, there will be no one to collect a warranty on it. Fire resistance, important. Once you do buy one have it bolted down and have the bolts drilled through hockey pucks. The hockey pucks provide space inbetween your safe and your floor so that corrosion will not be an issue. Bolting your safe down prevents its removal by sliding it across your floor on plastic sheets or marbles. I do not recommend that you put your safe in a garage or near a window where it can be seen, all that does is allow people to see that you have a sufficient amount of guns that necessitates the purchase of a safe. Make sure you get a golden rod or evadry to prevent moisture from ruining your guns. Buy one one size up, you want room for more firearms or other items. Look into safe moving companies that specialize in the moving of the safe. Lastly, I really like this company: https://rhinosafe.com/ Very robustly built and beautiful finishes, very heavy and made in the US. My runner up choice was Liberty. Simply put, before I lost it in a tragic boating accident I felt it was the best safe for the money spent. Also, please report back! Like to know what you decided.

2 Likes

While you’re doing your research, be sure to check Secure-It; https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/. Depending on your housing situation, their solution may be a better option than a single location behemoth, especially if you’re in a rental scenario. They provide unauthorized access limitation, theft protection, and fast access products in potentially multiple locations throughout the house versus everything being centralized. With your inventory, look at their Agile 52 with some additional pistol pegs.

4 Likes

Maybe if you don’t have kids you could just hide your guns in the fridge? As long as you don’t run into a hungry thief:) Just joking of course.

Sometimes a fire can burn long and or hot enough to damage papers even in a good fireproof safe. I keep my documents in a fire resistant silicone bag inside my fireproof safe just in case.

3 Likes

Superior and Champion are US made safes that range in price and quality from your basic thin walled safe up to very heavy duty depending on the model you choose. They also have a no frills bargain brand Safe Guard that I think is still made in US.

Steelwater are Chinese made I believe but tend to cost a little less and have a good reputation. They come with electronic locks but have a high security key backup for EMP or electronic failure.

Some safes look pretty but are made of very thin steel and aren’t much more than expensive cabinets. But any safe can be broken into with enough time and or the right tools.

3 Likes

Not only buy some extra capacity, also good fire resistance, secure locking system and add any special issues you may have. We live in a place where we may be subject to flooding, so I purchased one that is waterproof up to 3 feet of water. Being bolted to concrete, it is unlikely to float. I have electronic digital unlocking and it also has a very strange looking key that can be inserted in a hidden place to open the lock in case the battery is dead or the digital doby fails.

3 Likes