License/permit

Here in VA my CCW is linked through my plate and if I change my plate the CCW follows.

5 Likes

I can’t find anything that says it’s tied to license plates but I did find this,
From the USCCA Gun Laws Site:
“Yes. Your Utah driver’s license is linked to your Utah concealed firearm permit. Therefore, a law enforcement officer will be notified immediately that you are a concealed carry permit holder if they run your driver’s license.”
So if I apply for a Utah Permit from, say, Florida is it tied to a Florida D/L? Makes me wonder,

3 Likes

I doubt it. I’m in CT and have both FL and UT permits, and never showed a licence to either state or my UT instructor. Good question though, and you were asking what I was thinking, but recollected my experience while reading your question.
Hmm, maybe they get licence info during the background check? No worries.
Edit #2…Utah licence tied to permit…so going with “doubtful” on the out of state tie in.

2 Likes

Same in Oregon; same in Virginia; same in Kentucky; in Tennessee it says your DL is your CCL (I suppose that means an endorsement of some kind?).

I don’t know whether the information is available for every state, but the USCCA reciprocity guide has this linkage information in the block titled “Key State Laws”.

I think DL is probably the most likely method for linking to a person — to a license, not to vehicle tags. Because an individual might own any number of vehicles and drive none of them, but should alway have just one drivers license. And when you apply for a CHL you probably provide your DL number on the form, not a vehicle tag or SSN.

It may confuse people who perceive that cops know about your permit before they know who you are, but it’s fairly routine to run the DL of the registered owner of a vehicle before making contact at a stop. It saves time, and might reveal warrants or other trouble signs. If you don’t want them to know until you inform them, drive a stolen car or something. :worried:

If you never inform your state, how would they be aware that an out-of-state carry permit exists? If you provide your DL to the other state for application, they might pass the permit issue information to your home state? I’d be surprised if the issue state could directly tie it to an out-of-state DL… I dunno, maybe.

5 Likes

I stand corrected, I meant to say that they are linked to driving license not plates. Forgive me for my error please.

3 Likes

In Chicago most LEO’s do run your plates before they make a traffic stop.

2 Likes

In TX and NM the ownership of the vehicle is linked to the Driver’s License data. The Driver’s license is linked to any warrants, concealed permits, protective orders and known violent felon reports. As a previous LEO I see the good side is this helps warn the officer of a potentially dangerous person/situation. I see the down side of this being abused inappropriately. I do not know if this is available when traveling outside your home state.

Be sure to check the USCCA reciprocity map before crossing state lines!!

5 Likes

Not in Virginia.

Not in states like Maryland, they will treat the honest person as a criminal and let the criminals free (aka, catch and release). They do not like law-abiding firearm owners there.

2 Likes

I think I’d heard that some states allow CHL to substitute for redundant state checks, waiting periods, permit to buy or permit to own, ammunition purchase, etc.

But I didn’t know that a state could skip 4473/NICS for each and every FFL transfer on the basis of a locally issued CHL. Certainly Oregon does not — our CHL is strictly for concealed handgun carry and carry into some otherwise restricted locations. We do awkwardly require FFL in the middle of virtually every transfer.

4 Likes

You don’t skip the 4473, but they don’t have to call in to NICS and wait for a response (in some states [like mine] with a valid state issued carry license).

But my state also does not require an FFL/4473 for private party intra-state transfers

6 Likes

I see. I assume that is probably this:

Looks like exactly half of states currently have some status on this chart. Does not apply to the other half of states, plus most non-state US jurisdictions.

In Oregon (along with a few other states), the State Police handle the NICS checks instead of the FBI. I don’t know whether that has an impact on the number or duration of delayed checks.

5 Likes

In KY your CCDW is linked to your driver’s license and licenses are linked to the vehicle registration for the registered owner(s).

5 Likes

I guess by the permit being link to one’s driving license is one of those six in one hand and a half a dozen in the other type of thing.

3 Likes

Good point Lu-Can.
However, just for a moment there, I thought you were talking about “dishes”??? :joy:
Have a great day.
j@r :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I know and am known to most of or LEOs . Once I was stopped at a license check, Here in NC we are required to let officer know we are CCW and armed. Well i did this and the trooper told me if I didnt draw mine he wouldnt draw his , we both laughed and I said thats sounds like a good deal to me :us: I think our general attitude or demeaner has alot to do with things

6 Likes

@Joseph_A1 , I was hungry when I put this up. :joy:

4 Likes

What you said is so true. Our attitude and demeanor does have a lot to do with it. If someone makes us nervous we go straight to red, LEO’s are human also and even though some of them think that the badge and gun makes them a god, they still want to go home after work. So I believe it is always best to remain claim and hopefully so will the LEO.

5 Likes

I am in the same spot got the permit long time ago and then lifetime. I am in TN too. To me its about the money to the state. And ease for the Police to know who you are at a traffic stop.

3 Likes

Sadly what Lee promoted as Constitutional Carry comes no where close to true Constitutional Carry. This is actually Permitless Carry with a lot of limitations as to where one can carry. There is no Reciprocity with this Permitless Carry law. If someone wants to carry across state lines they still need either the Concealed Only Permit or the Enhanced Permit. Also, there are a few states that don’t recognize the Tennessee Concealed Only Carry permit whereas the Tennessee Enhanced Permit (which is tied to our Driver’s License) is honored in 33 states. I’m in Kingsport and everyone that I’ve explained this to has chosen to take the 8 hour Enhanced Carry Course.

4 Likes

Lu Can, and I discussed enhanced carry a ways back. I have been looking around. I have seen nothing on whether NC does this or not. If anyone knows about NC let me know :us: I have been CCW for over 15 years, I pretty much intend to keep mine in effect.

2 Likes