Let's talk lever actions

Thanks. I’ve seen a lot of velocity data, Wondering about terminal ballistics. Will the bullet fracture, shed too much weight, over penetrate, etc.

I don’t have a solid answer, but LuckyGunner has done a series on Lever Actions, and they likely have some pointers on ammo selection.

I think specifically this one talks ammo selection and has some gel tests.

And their category page has a few more articles/videos:

I think it’s Hornady LeverEvolution line which is specifically made for lever actions

1 Like

Thanks. I love Lucky Gunner’s stuff, and even keep their revolver ballistics info bookmarked. But I had not seen their lever gun series. While I still would like to see more ammo tested at self-defense ranges, this is a good starting point. The holy grail is one round that performs well out of rifles and handguns. I’m liking the Barnes 140 grain after reading this, except I’ve tried to stick with 125 or 158 grain ammo because you can’t get cheaper range ammo in the non-standard weights.

1 Like

Pistol caliber leverguns make a great addition to your arsenal if you already have a .357/.38, .44, .45 Colt handgun.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-357-magnum-carbine-perfected/

3 Likes

Well, I finally found some ballistic gel tests online with the Remington SJHP 158grain ammunition from a Rossi carbine. This round has been one of my favorites for years out of my revolvers, and the performance was pretty awesome out of the rifle. Over 1700 fps, ~18 in penetration, great expansion. The reviewer even stated it was one of the only .357 rounds he had ever seen that worked well out of both a revolver and a rifle. Just hope Remington’s new owners keep producing it - I’m down to one box.

1 Like

“Andrew” does some 357 mag out of a “carbine” into bare and denim covered gel on both “TFB TV” and “AR15.COM” YouTube channels. I put the links right to their search results.

IMO, it basically shows a little more violent fragmentation and an inch or two more penetration than out of a full size revolver. The exception being the Hornady Leverevolution, which I believe is designed for more penetration for hunting.

There are also less powerful 357 magnums available, some marketed as “reduced recoil.” Also, IIRC, the Remington Golden Saber 357 magnum’s specs are really low… IIRC, it’s about the same as the equivalent 9mm +P Rem GS out of a 3.6" semi. In general, I think the SJHP or JHP in the 125gr and under weights (e.g. 110gr) should give you less penetration than the 158gr versions.

2 Likes

I’ll add, although the OP is from a long time ago, that Browning (BLR) and Henry (Long Ranger Rifles) make a magazine fed lever action for the “pointy” calibers.