LEOSA Qualification

Cool! I’m from Arlington, VA. My class for LEOSA, They call it the HR218 Certification Course in NC is in December. The class was full for November. Only one class every month and only seven people per class.

2 Likes

Yes that is correct it is the HR218. In the class I attended had about 20 retired LEOs.

2 Likes

Yes, I have heard most call it that. It seems odd to me as House Bill 218 is the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act that was passed. We do not name any other laws based on their house bill number.

4 Likes

I had a hard time looking for it at first because I was looking for Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act Course, but it finally came up as HR218 Course.

3 Likes

FWIW, USCCA’s state law pages often mention how the state handles LEOSA.
Here’s Wisconsin’s page, as an example.
Wisconsin Concealed Carry Gun Laws: CCW & Reciprocity Map | USCCA(Last Updated 05/19/2021) (usconcealedcarry.com)

This is especially useful, because almost every agency has their own rules / policies / procedures for getting a LEOSA card.

3 Likes

As a former LEO, welcome to the LEOSA community. Just for your own knowledge, the qualification varies for each state. I will also tell you to be careful where you tread with your credentials and firearm(s). We like to say knowledge is power, so before traveling check the rules. Ie: Notification requirement if stopped in certain states, magazine capacity limits may also apply as well as hollow point bullet restrictions. These are just some of them. I’m also going to tell you that many of the duly sworn officers don’t know the law or may interpret it differently. Remember, in HR 218 it states concealed. Of course that wouldn’t apply in open carry states where you were allowed to carry. Just a fair warning. Congratulations on your prior retirement by the way! USCCA is a great resource for pretty much everything on firearms training and resources. Training, scenarios, legal questions etc. I only joined in July and am very pleased with everything. I also try to keep a copy or photo of my firearms purchasing receipt with me. Be safe and may God Bless. Enjoy Your Retirement, it’s Great!

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @James1281 glad you are here. Your post is on point and I have been reading up on other state laws in caseI do decide to travel. LEOSA credentials are good to have but if you run into some young LEO out there looking to make a name for themselves you may have a problem. I will definitely take your advice.

3 Likes

Morning Johnny, I retired from NJ ! I actually celebrated 20 years out. Oct 31st, 2002 was my last day. Many things have changed in LE. Truthfully I miss the old days. Honestly I’ve experienced both sides of the spectrum. There are guys who chose a career, and others who got in it to get a pension. Living now in south western PA, I have a range set up outside my home. I tell people I went from the hood to the woods, and that’s ok. I’m friends with many of the local town officers here, even though town is 23 miles away. Thankfully, I’ve never had to display a firearm in those 20 years. I’ve had to dispatch an animal or two but that was after notifying the game commission. Well my Friend, enjoy your retirement. My best to you and your family, stay safe, healthy, and may God Bless. Jim🇺🇸

4 Likes

I have been retired since 2004 from NYPD and just started my second retirement social security. I sometimes sit home and wonder where did life go. I also come from the hood, from the PJs as we used to call them. Well hopefully you stay on with us and we can learn from one another. New Jersey was no joke. I made a pitstop there for about 2 years before moving to VA. Big difference here, relaxing and chilling.

6 Likes

Johnny, I’m glad the WTC didn’t put you out as one of the many casualties. I lost about 5 friends from it. I was a Sgt. and had just gotten off the midnight shift that prior evening. My neighbor came pounding at my door telling me to turn on the TV. I looked in disbelief. We were on the other side near the Lincoln Tunnel. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I drove to our HQ and I was the only car on the NJ tpk. A very empty feeling. 495 leading into the tunnel was closed, but of course they let me thru. A Very sad day in my career as I’m sure it was in yours. Interestingly my nephew choose to be a PO and is now a Capt. in NJ, my step son is a fireman in Alexandria VA. We’ll time to run, I went from 35x100 to 30 acres and there’s some things that need to be done.
Catch you soon. Jim🇺🇸

4 Likes

Maybe one day we will hook up and go shooting brother and tell some war stories. I’m about 5 hours away Chesapeake, VA. PM me if possible.

2 Likes

Johnny, I just received this from my retired PD local. Thought you would appreciate it.

2 Likes

Brother @James1281,
Thank you for the information and this letter. I already heard it but was not sure because I did not see it on paper. Man this is great news and thank God we are finally getting things in our favor. There are a lot of retired LEOs as part of this community and I am sure they will be happy also.

3 Likes

Yes sir Brother, I knew you’d like it. I just got it from my retired NJ State Local #600. All I’m going to say is it’s about time. Be Safe and May God Bless You and Your Family.

1 Like

You have to have an entity like the FOP file a suit in Federal court to allow retired cops to carry firearms? Have you guys ever thought of moving to Utah or one of the many other Constitutional Carry States?

3 Likes

Johnnyq60, I live in Texas and New Jersey sounds like the saddest state for law enforcement or civilians about the right to carry a gun concealed or openly. Texas would never disrespect you or your service. Our Governor and AG would never put up with mistreatment of retired law enforcement or law abiding citizens. I thank God bless Texas! :latin_cross: Bobby Jean

4 Likes

I wish all of you that protected and put your very LIVES ON THE LINE TO DEFEND EVERY ONE EVEN PEOPLE WHO HATE YOU AND ONLY CALL YOU WHEN THEY ARE IN NEED PLEASE MOVE TO TEXAS AND OUR GOVENOR AND A G :bangbang::chile: WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE RESPECT AND NEVER SIS HONOR YOU AND THE PEOPLE HERE WILL HAVE YOUR BACK WE BACK THE BLUE & all Frist Responders , WE HAVE YOUR BACK :bangbang::chile: DONT MESS WITH TEXAS :chile::bangbang::bangbang: AND THAT MEANS YOU ALL AS WELL LOVE BOBBY JEAN

3 Likes

I have left the chaos of my old work state and I believe Johhnq has done the same. I like to tell people I’ve left the hood for the woods. We’ve done our time and enjoy the non chaos associated with retirement. My wife does occasionally complain about the 25 mile drive to the store though, but I’m good. :shushing_face:

5 Likes

Now, they need to extend the same “privileges” to the rest of the civilians in the state.

3 Likes

There has been a few permits issued or so I’ve been told but it appears to be an exhausting, ever changing process. This realistically occurred sometime last month. NJ as well as NYC are not gun friendly states. I use to tell anyone going to NJ or NY to make sure there were no empty cartridges Ie: like an empty 22 cal. that may have gotten stuck in your shoe to check their vehicle. I use to sweep out my truck bed in the event there were any spent shotgun shells etc in it. It’s better than it was but still very controlled.

2 Likes