Left-Handers Day

impressive work!

I’ve been wanting to buy a scroll saw and might pull the trigger this weekend. Any recommendations?

4 Likes

Lefty however right eye dominant.
Yeah, it’s interesting,

7 Likes

so… not pure lefty :smiling_imp: :crazy_face:… shouldn’t count. :hugs:
If you wish we can teach you how properly use left eye. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

What’s up Lefties… I love being a southpaw!

Shout out to all gun manufacturers that make firearms with ambidextrous controls! :+1:t5::+1:t5:

Shout out all the cross eye dominant shooters ( southpaws who are right eye dominant)! :clap:t5:

Shout out to all Lefties that learned to function & prosper in a right-handed :earth_americas:! :muscle:t5::v:t5:

8 Likes

If you’ve never done scrolling, I’d recommend spending no more than you absolutely have to spend. My own saw is 35 yrs old and has been out of production for 30 of them, so there’s no help there. Basically, Home Depot sells saws from $80 - $800 or even more. Something in the $150 range will at least tell you whether you like scrolling without spending your life’s savings.

The real question in this is BLADES. ALL scrollsaw blades are about 6" long, no matter what type. There are dozens (MANY) dozens of blade types and sizes. For basic practice, pin-type blades have a locking pin built into each end of the blade, but they won’t give you what you see in my pics. They WILL give you good, really good, practice, and they’re relatively cheap.

I use almost exclusively plain-end blades - you have to clamp them in place on your scrollsaw. Sizes range from a barely visible wire to blades that are wide enough they look like they’d fit on a bandsaw. GOOD practice blades, and blades that will give you great-looking results, would be sizes 4, 5 & 7, 4 being the narrower, 7 being the wider (this is front to back on the blade). ALWAYS search out “reverse” blades - they have the bottom dozen teeth reversed, so you have much less sanding at the end of a cutting project.

And, just like with guns, the main purpose is to have fun.

ALWAYS, have fun.

4 Likes

Thank you for the advice.

3 Likes

No, I believe there are studies that prove it. I can attest to that in my family, too. I am a lefty as well, but I trained myself to be ambi with a lot of things, shooting is one of those, though handgunning I will have to admit that I am much better lefty. I don’t practice enough righty. Riflery, I am almost as good righty.

6 Likes