Left-Handers Day

I do only a few things right-handed.

I play the guitar. I had played a number of brass instruments before that…it never occurred to me that an instrument would be “handed.” I had not seen Jimi Hendrix or Paul McCartney yet.

I also deal cards right-handed. I am alone in my handedness with all my siblings and cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents…except one cousin. Maybe. We all played cards and I was taught to deal right-handed.

3 Likes

@OldGnome,
I had a renewed interest in guitars couple years ago so I went to the music store to look for a lefty model. The owner suggested I take advantage of my left fingers’ dexterity and try playing righthanded. I think he said that because he didn’t have any lefties available in stock :wink: I did buy a righty and played with it for about half a year. However, one day as was my habit, I was watching tv and during a commercial break, I reached for the guitar and instinctively played lefthanded. When I noticed what I just did, I went online and bought a lefty. I’m now playing lefty guitar.

As for early years struggles, I recall in 1st grade switching to the right hand when my teacher’s looking and writing with my left when she’s not.

3 Likes

@BeanCounter - I have considered restringing one of my guitars for lefty play, just to see if it’s any easier or harder.

3 Likes

@OldGnome,

I chose to restring a $99 guitar. If it doesn’t work or if i messed up the guitar, it won’t hurt my wallet as much.

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m a lefty. And was never told to change. My mother was a lefty but when she was growing up her parents made her change to right hand. I also do thing with either hand depending on what I’m doing. And I’m right eye dominant but shoot as a lefty. And when I bought an AR-15 I got one for lefties. And I’ve had people say the gun is backwards. and I tell them that it is for lefties. Here is a picture of it.

5 Likes

I’m a lefty and both parents were righties. Dad taught me to shoot a long gun and swing a ball bat so I do those right handed. I taught myself handguns and archery, so I do those left handed. Actually I can shoot a handgun with either hand very similarly.

4 Likes

@Reloader54 - can you tell us the manufacturer and model of the gun?

4 Likes

@Dwayne,

My lefty son played basketball. In his senior year, he started to mess with his free throws and ended up being able to shoot with either hand.

3 Likes

Lefty here. Shoot pistol either hand but have come to prefer carrying right as I have my wallet in my left pocket, keys/knife on left side and phone on left side. All of those work much more naturally that way and I’m right eye dominant. Shotgun and rifle are more natural left but I have adapted to right.

I throw ball and bat righty but kick left. I guess I’m a mess.

Growing up, nobody ever pushed me to change.

4 Likes

It is a Stag Arms AR-15. and it is chambered for either 5.56 NATO or .223 Rem. And when I went in to gun shop I bought it from. I asked for one for Left handed shooter. And they ordered it from one of their distributor’s. And I had to wait for it to come in. And I had to put sights on the gun myself. I also put the Red Dot sight and fore grip on myself as well.

4 Likes

Nice piece of hardware brother.

3 Likes

@Reloader54, that’s a sweet looking piece.

Ignorance is bliss. I bought an AR-556 and picked it up like what felt naturally as a lefty. I shoot it with glee in the same manner I did when I was handed an M-16 which I fired without regard whether it was made for a righty or a lefty.

4 Likes

I had a similar experience. I learned to be ambidextrous with most tools including scissors. My brother ruined my home economics class scissors cutting tuck & roll upholstery (leather-like) for his car! Mom replaced my scissors, paid for by my brother, with a left-handed pair of Fiskars. Then a few years later she bought me a pair of left-handed Ginghers. No one ever used my scissors again!

6 Likes

There used to be a store in San Francisco and I made my parents take me there every time we went into the city, until it closed.

4 Likes

My mom comes from a big farming family from Tennessee and everyone of the relatives has at least one lefty per family and some two. Average 25% lefties.

4 Likes

My mom and aunt were dressmakers so I learned early before school age how to use righty scissors.

4 Likes

Dunno if being left-handed is hereditary, but I’m the oldest of 3 boys - - all left-handed. My grandfathers (both) were left-handed, as was one of my grandmothers. Of 41 cousins, 19 are left-handed.

There just might be something to that.

5 Likes

@David_W1

It can’t be taught. In an effort to make my daughter like her older brother, I intentionally gave her pencil, etc. to hold using her left hand. Each time, she instinctively put them in her right hand.

By the way, is it a misconception that lefties are artistic?

4 Likes

I have no idea as to the actual “truth” of left-handed artistry, but I DO know that 3 of my ancestors were left-handed and commercial artists.

I do my own form of artistry, I guess, scrollsaw fretwork. Got into it when I came back from my last tour in Germany - everything there is so ornate, especially in the old cities. I found that the fretwork kinda recreates the atmosphere.

Just a short example of some of what’s come out of my shop in the past 6 months.

8 Likes