Leaving your gun in a hot car

I tried searching but I did not see any topics on this previously.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether it’s a good idea to keep the gun in the vehicle in the summertime during working hours for someone that is not allowed to carry into their workplace.
I’m a fairly new gun owner so I am not sure if that would be bad for the gun or not.
Thank you

3 Likes

Yes. You can keep your firearm in your car in the heat, secured, out of sight and out of direct sunlight. :slightly_smiling_face:
Say nothing. :shushing_face:

8 Likes

Can You Keep Guns & Ammo in a Car in Hot Weather?.

2 Likes

If you have a Glock it may melt…

J/K

Get a small vault, much better than a console or glove compartment, as Bruce26 suggested. An inexpensive one may cost $20 - $30. Of course if you want to get an expensive one it is your $. Also check your state laws and corporate documentation. Before my state passed a law, it was 100% legal for your company to search your car and fire you if you had a firearm in your car on their lot!

5 Likes

Well they can’t open the safe, so they don’t know what is in it.
May still get fired…

3 Likes

The gun will be 100% okay.

I would rotate any ammunition in or with it sooner than otherwise, but we’re still talking a solid 1 year as conservative IMO and IME.

Security, legality, and keeping it on the DL will be your concerns. Don’t worry about the gun getting hot, especially since it probably won’t be/shouldn’t be in direct sunlight itself. But really, the gun wont’ care

6 Likes

I’ve had my pistol and ammo in a vehicle with outdoor temps over 120* for many days at a time with no problems. I’d probably be more concerned in conditions where temperatures go from warm to cold and you might get lots of condensation if there is enough moisture in the air. But that shouldn’t be an issue either if you keep things clean and rotate your ammo.

As others have mentioned the bigger issue is security. Make sure you have a sturdy locking case that bolts or cable locks to the vehicle and make sure it is out of sight.

8 Likes

I have an inexpensive locking box with a cable around the seat hardware where it bolts to the vehicle.

4 Likes

Heat and moisture are bad for ammunition.
The military determines shelf life of ammunition by testing the powder at elevated temperature. Here’s five pages of discussion about it.

4 Likes

Be wary about tear gas canisters. Nothing worse than having one rupture in your vehicle on a hot day! It brought tears to my eyes many of days there after!

6 Likes

I was thinking more of taking the magazine with me because my workplace says nothing about ammo. I was worried more about the heat and the gun itself causing an issue with how it functions.

4 Likes

Got a good laugh out of that one… :sunglasses: I believe the melting point of a Taurus is lower, though… I guess we need to get one of those Internet gun guys to test this out… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I’m lucky to afford different models; Depending on where and where I’m commuting to.
Cut back on dining out, more home cooking theses days.

I’m leery about leaving it in a hot vehicle if it’s a semiauto with plastic bottom frame as opposed to steel. Not worried about wooden grips on handguns, but imagine it’s not best if they get heated. Never want to leave a wooden framed rifle in a hot vehicle.

Wouldn’t leave ammo in a hot car, but when bringing ammo to work, be very careful. Even if it’s allowed, some employers will use that against you, and you would never even know. If it’s against the rules, they will find out, and termination can ruin a life.

If you bring in the ammo, never leave it there overnight; Carrying it on your person most discreet might be an idea, but ensure it can never fall out of your pocket, don’t put anything else in same pocket. Ankle holster is an idea “for the ammo”, but when you sit, wandering eyes may see that you have something on your ankle.

I don’t think it’s fair or right, and I advocate change or relocating. Working on it.

2 Likes

Another consideration is a fast temperature change from warm to cold.
During hunting season we never kept our firearms in a warm cabin and then go out in cold weather to hunt. Metal can and does sweat.
IE: firearm in car all day winter conditions, get car, nice and toasty hmmm.
PS: storing conditions are on gun powder containers
( store in cool dry place )
= gun powder in bullets = bullets in hot car. Maybe put you amo in your lunch box, hold the mayo, not in refrigerator. Amo cans make nice lunch boxes.

3 Likes

I’ve been keeping my EDC in a locked metal case cabled under the car seat. I figured lowest location in the car is the coolest in addition to the metal case and foam inside should keep it nice and happy. I have cycled out and shot the ammo after a year and they all went bang.

6 Likes

I worked at a large corp that had deputized guards. Wouldn’t want a report from a nervous liberal co-worker giving misinformation. You might have Barney Fife coming at you.

3 Likes

Jaguar XJ6 has a lower melting point, I have photos (actually photos!) Perhaps I will scan them and post!

Long story short, there was a fire across the street from a house in my parents neighborhood. The house directly across from it had a Jag in the garage and vinyl siding on the house, what a mess. the fire was almost 300 feet away. Oh and a big Duh, you meant the firearms company, not the Ford sedan!

3 Likes

Well, still good to know that firearms are more resilient than a Ford… Ford tough? Nah, Colt 1911 tough! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Some parts of the floor of my car get hot from the engine. After driving a good distance, when I pull over, I can feel the various spots on my floor and with my palms, I can feel which are hotter or cooler per se.

I noticed they have on the market, some material which acts to insulate in cars. I wonder if measuring and cutting to fit one’s lock box might help keep it cool — as long as the firearm still fits. On rare occasion I need to lock it in my vehicle, I try to carry all the ammo on my person.

Just one more reason I try to advocate we be allowed to conceal carry in more areas. Not to mention, less chance of it getting stolen out of the car. My car’s been broken into before, thank goodness I didn’t have my CCW in there.

2 Likes

There are adhesive heat reflective shields that you can stick to the bottom of the case. I used them under the seat of my motorcycle. Noticeable difference.

3 Likes