Kind of Woke

From the article
“a downed aircraft along Kyhv Peak Road, which was formerly named Squaw Peak”

I thought that word was banned from the English language…

7 Likes

I didn’t know aircraft could get Syphilis. :grinning:

5 Likes

I guess at 8,000 feet your would be able to punch your card for the Mile High Club.

3 Likes

I just found a story about the renaming of that mountain. Interestingly, it does not mention what the new name means or why that specific word was chosen. To me, it looks like an alternate spelling of Kiev. How that is better, the story does not explain.

There are many varying accounts of how the former Squaw Peak received its name, but most of them have one thing in common, the death of a Native American woman.

According to the version of the story on a plaque that sat in Provo’s Powerline Park entitled “How Provo’s Squaw Peak Got Its Name,” the title can be traced back to a tragedy that allegedly took place in February 1850 when the wife of Old Elk, a war chief of the Timpanogos Utes, fell from the peak to her death during an altercation with a group of colonists.

Although Old Elk’s wife was reported to be young, beautiful and intelligent, settlers memorialized her death by dubbing the cliff Squaw Peak.

So, rather than honoring her demise, we will erase her from our history. That seems to me, more disrespectful than the word squaw. “[T]he name served as a painful reminder of the dehumanization of Native American women that still takes place today.” Do they? by whom?

“By the 1830s, it was synonymous with prostitution or those working in that profession,” Jansen said. “It referred to Native women that offered this service outside military forts even. By the 1850s, this word, that’s all it meant. … It was a demeaning word for Native women. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a Native man that would call his Native wife a squaw.

First I ever heard of this. I learned it was just a word for an Indian woman and was not used derisively anywhere I read or heard the word. I find it difficult to call them “Native American” as they came from Asia. Maybe we should be calling them Asian-American. :rofl:

“Our people are a sacred people, and we get minimized by mascots and the usage of derogatory terms,” he said. “We need to get rid of those terms because the longer that that term is in existence, the longer that dehumanization is sustained.”

Remove all references to these Asian-Americans and they will just be forgotten. Using them as mascots, etc., is honoring them and their heritage and acknowledging they exist.

According to statistics provided by the Coalition to Stop Violence Against Native Women, Native women face murder rates more than 10 times the national average. Homicide is the third leading cause of death among Native girls and women ages 10-24, and the fifth leading cause of death for Native women aged 25-34. Overall, 4 out of 5 Native women have experienced some form of violence in their lifetime.

I like how they do not mention who the perps are in these crimes.

[edit] Found another story that actually has a brief history and explains the meaning of the word:

Though spelling conventions vary, Kyhv is a form of the Northern Ute word meaning “mountain”

3 Likes

This is what I don’t understand, I have always admired our American Indian brothers. By calling the Washington Football team, the “Redskins” weren’t they saying that the team was strong and fearless, how is that insulting to American Indians?

I agree 100% I always felt that naming a sports team after American Indians was a great honor to their strength, How about the Indian motorcycle one of the finest motorcycles ever built.
In my opinion, the ones that are pushing this is the same white liberals that think they know better than anyone. Convince a couple American Indians and then they have their proof of racism.
And I also never heard of the term “Squaw” as being derogatory . To me it is just a term for American Indian women. Just as “Brave” is a term for an American Indian man.
Should we stop calling courageous people “brave”, so as not to hurt these pompous white liberal’s feelings?
I personally don’t use the terms “Squaw” or “Brave” to describe any of my American Indian friends. To me they are women or men.
And by the way I do have Indian blood ( 1/1064th ) Actually my mother’s mother was Lakota, which started my fascination of their lifestyle, and jewelry styles, and clothing styles.
I’d like to hear from our brother Bobbyjean whether the term “Squaw” is derogatory. if he feels it is than I will apologize and rethink my belief.

2 Likes

Only if you call him a squaw. :rofl:

2 Likes

IIRC the last claim about the word squaw was it designated a certain part female anatomy?

1 Like

Squaw Valley, 1960 Winter Olympics

1 Like

Looks like they opened up the Woke Dictionary on this one…

“extensive research”
“outreach to Native American groups”
“derogatory and offensive term”
“With the momentum of recognition and accountability”
“acknowledge a change needs to happen”
“term ‘squaw’ is offensive”
“widely accepted to be a racist and sexist slur”
“that reflects our core values”
“the beloved mountain home”
“who revere this amazing ski resort.”

3 Likes

This is the scariest part.

4 Likes

Triggered!

4 Likes

I don’t know if I rember the story 100% correct, but while some of the woke renaming was going on, a bunch of do-gooders said the Florida State Seminoles and their warrior logo had to go. Well, no one bothered to check with the actual Seminoles, of whom there are many here in Florida. It turned out, the real Seminoles liked the name and logo for FSU.

It’s never a good idea to go assuming what others want.

4 Likes

Pretty much the same thing here in Utah, The Utes. The Ute Nation has no problem with the University of Utah going by the “UTES”.

4 Likes

The school will say it “doesn’t align with our core values”. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

F the Seminoles. If they can’t see how racist that is, they just need to shut-up and stay on the res. :rofl:

1 Like

Meh… I think it depends on if you associate it with the word injun … oops my bad. What’s wrong with Utes? Those large phallic rocks in Arches is more incorrect - politically.

2 Likes

The words “Core Values” being immediately preceded by the words “Rotten To The…”.

3 Likes

OK to continue my apparently contrarian mood today and mostly to give me an excuse to procrastinate from cleaning up before my wife returns from her business trip this week, I’ll bite on this one.

I would be interested to hear what Native American women actually think about the word today. My understanding is that the word originally came from the Massachusett word for female or young woman. But for the past couple centuries has largely been used as a derogatory word associating all sorts of negative traits with Native American Women.

So if most of the people who end up getting associated with the word consider it a truly derogatory term similar to a word like b**** then I could see there being a little more of an issue with that than there is with naming a football team after a tribe, leadership position or skin color that Native Americans are associated with.

I don’t have an issue with the Celtics appropriating the cultural name for their team. But if they called themselves the Green Ni**ers instead I could see some Irish and African Americans potentially taking some offense to that.

Green ni**ers by the way was a term used for Irish immigrants as they were originally held in the same regard as African American slaves when they first started immigrating to America after the potato famine. Or so I was told. Though now that I think of it I’d be willing to wear that term proudly since to me it seems to denote persevering against extreme adversity when everyone else views me as trash. Though I am fortunate in that my ancestors were able to climb a couple rungs up the social ladder before I was born.

1 Like

Pehaps not, but it is the liberal modus operandi.

5 Likes

Husband and Wife are now offensive? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes