Kids need to be taught avoidance

Teen accused of fatally shooting girlfriend in Toledo indicted (13abc.com)

1 Like

A lot of people, kids, teens, and adults alike, IMO, and IME, need to be taught avoidance.

Avoidance and deescelation.

Especially when they think the other person is being a jerk.

(I did not click the article, I try not to give clicks and traffic to news/media when I can avoid it)

6 Likes

There was another thread at this Community were we discussed “neverending” phenomenon: should a firearm training be mandatory for firearm owners.

This incident was an example of lack of responsibility and probably training / preparedness as well.

2 Likes

You don’t need to click the article link.
Google Nathan Mays or Jaelynn Poturalski

1 Like

Is there a search result that has the information that is not the news media where I can read details without going to a “news”/media outlet?

Or maybe someone could put it in this thread?

2 Likes

Nathan Mays is accused of fatally shooting Jaelynn Poturalski, 18, in the chest the morning of Sept. 2 in the 200 block of Langdon Street.
TOLEDO, Ohio — A jury has indicted a teenage suspect in the September shooting death of an 18-year-old woman in south Toledo.
Nathan Mays, who was 16 at the time of the shooting, was indicted Thursday on three charges including murder.
Mays is accused of shooting Jaelynn Poturalski, 18, on the morning of Sept. 2, 2023, in the 200 block of Langdon Street.
“(It was) a neighborhood dispute that somehow turned into a fight and at some point, a gun was pulled,” Toledo police told WTOL 11 at the scene.
Poturalski was shot in the chest and later died at the hospital.
Mays was arrested at the scene and booked in the Juvenile Justice Center.
He has been indicted for murder, felonious assault and discharge of a firearm on or near prohibited premises, and will be tried as an adult.

2 Likes

I quoted another article, this one linked by @Forensic_Wow was more about what Parents said… but that actually had nothing to do with the incident.

1 Like

It read like fake news to me.

Something cooked up by AI to vilify gun owners.

That said, there certainly are stupid people out there, and they are subject to natural selection.

If the story is true, well, I should probably just keep my opinion to myself.

3 Likes

I only see deactivated facebook profiles of her.

2 Likes

Published: Sep. 2, 2023 at 3:17 PM CDT|

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - A teenager in Toledo was shot and killed Saturday morning, according to the Toledo Police Department.
TPD officers say they arrived on the scene on the 200 block of Langdon to find 18-year-old, Jaelynn Poturalski, was found suffering from at least one gunshot wound. Poturalski was treated on scene, then transported to a nearby hospital, where she was later pronounced dead at 11:26 a.m. on Sept. 2.
TPD officers say the suspect, a 16-year-old juvenile was arrested at the scene, booked into the Juvenile Justice Center and charged with Murder.
According to an autopsy performed on Sept. 3 by the Lucas County Coroner’s Office, Poturalski’s cause of death was determined to be a gunshot wound to the chest. Her manner of death was ruled as a homicide.

Officials with TPD ask anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at (419) 255-1111.

Jaelynn Poturalski Obituary
Jaelynn Marie Poturalski died tragically on Saturday September 2, 2023 at the age of 18. She was born June 25, 2005 in Toledo to Rachael McHugh and Matthew Poturalski. Jaelynn attended Arlington Elementary and graduated from Bowsher High School in 2023. Jaelynn was interested in pursuing a career working with troubled youths.
Jaelynn was a fun loving, outgoing young woman, possessing a heart full of love. Most of all, she loved her family and was deeply loyal to all of them.
She is preceded in death by her mother Rachael McHugh; Uncle Adam Poturalski and great grandparents. Jaelynn is survived by her father Matthew Poturalski; brother Kingston Poturalski; grandparents Lori & Butch Poturalski and Delores & Tim McHugh; aunts Courtney Poturalski and Hayley McHugh; and first cousins Allie, Sky, Jaidyn and Gianna; as well as many good friends who loved her and will miss her dearly.

Jaelynn’s family will receive friends at the Castillo Funeral Home 1757 Tremainsville Rd. Saturday from 3 – 7 PM. Private family services will be held Sunday. Memorial tributes may be made to her family via this website to help offset expenses.

Does it still sound like AI or fake news? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

The linked article did.

My question is how did the kid get the gun?

Where were the parents in any of what lead up to the shooting?

Irresponsible people paint a bad portrait for all gun owners.

3 Likes

You will need to do your own search to answer those question.

The incident happened. Like all hundreds of others - stupid death caused by somebody’s negligence, lack of responsibility and understanding of firearm’s role.

1 Like

16 year-old kills an 18 year-old. Children killing children.

2 Likes

There should be a law against 16 years possessing firearms.
Oh wait, there is. Better make another law to enforce that law. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Firearms training won’t fix that. Like can’t fix stupid.

3 Likes

They should teach responsibility in school. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

yeah, I know… and that’s what I wrote 11 hrs ago… :smirk:

1 Like

IMG_2809

3 Likes