Keep it With You - Even in your house

“The landlords were able to restrain (Molina) long enough to retrieve their own personal handgun and hold defendant at gunpoint until officers could arrive,”

So after the guy attacks and stabs 3 people, after the lady and the husband fight with him for an extended period of time, only then did they get to their fire arm and stop the guy.
Lesson learned? Be ready, have it with you.

12 Likes

Yep!

Working with the garage open, in my backyard surrounded by 6’ wooden fence, I’m vulnerable.

I’m not paranoid. Just ready.

13 Likes

Always have it on me or near me. Bathroom break, showering, or in bed. ( Also phone) If canine alert goes off I’m all in…

12 Likes

100%…correct !! Your self defense weapon is of no value unless you have it with you. These folks are lucky to be alive. You DON’T fight someone who has an edged weapon. My pistol is part of my clothing. When I am dressed…my weapon is on me, in my home, my yard, or in public.

13 Likes

I heard a rule of thumb, a very long time ago, that your weapon should be NO MORE than 3 seconds away!
Personally, mine is permanently attached to my hip, in condition 1.
It’s a shame that we need to be armed to retrieve the mail.

8 Likes

Yup. 24-7-365. :us:

5 Likes

I’ll never begrudge those who feel the need to carry in your own home as I do not live there and do not know what you see or face in your lives. I am glad I do not need to where I live but even so I still have several weapons handy and easily accessible. My biggest issue around me is animals and as a career K9 trainer I feel comfortable around animals so I don’t concern myself with them living around us. I live in an area with pretty low crime stats and the few violent crimes we see are normally committed by folks knowing each other. But stranger home invasions can occur in even the quietest and safest areas so being prepared is always smart.

5 Likes

I carry all the time that the situation allows me to, but also around the house I have weapons staged around the house. When I reload in the garage I have to have the door open so I have some battery operated motion detector the give a very loud beep when anyone breaks the beam. And my reloading bench I have a frontal view of the open door and have trained to drop what I’m doing and be ready to draw. This is what works for me.

3 Likes

This :point_up_2:t4: I consciously practice inside the comforts of my home.

4 Likes

IWB at home because we never know when some crime minded fool may want to try our house for luck.
I use a waist pouch when I sleep and keep my Springfield XDE 9mm on me nightly as well.
We live in a will issue state and for those of us that are in the firearm community have some form of a firearm on us at any given time.
That in itself deters a lot of crime. Another plus is I live in a pre-dominant military community.
Thing is when deployments become common knowledge that’s when home invaders and spouse predators start trying to play their stupid games to win stupid prizes.

5 Likes

I have two staged in the home and two biometric pistol safes in the home (if you now where to look for them). I also keep the good book nearby. I doubt a thief would bother to pick this up, but it gets put away when I’m not with it.

4 Likes

I didn’t carry inside the house in the beginning. I do have pistols staged in other rooms tho and could get to them fast. I do carry inside now. A neighbor on the street over from us had a daytime home burglary. It was 3:00pm and this man and his wife, both over 80 yrs old heard a window break. He grabbed his handgun and as soon as that guy put his leg inside the neighbor shot him in the leg. His wife had already been on the phone with the police. Gotta be ready during the day. You just never know what’s going to happen during the day! Stay safe y’all!

6 Likes

@Shirle Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. :us:

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Shirle , glad you could join us.

2 Likes

Nice piece of hardware brother @Stone and nice hiding spot. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Welcome to the family @Shirle and God bless you.

1 Like

According to wife of several decades, my morning routine:

1. Alarms sounds
  2. wonder into bathroom, drain eyeballs, brush teeth
  3. wonder back, put socks on, pants on, guns on, knives on, shirt on
  4. load pockets with edc stuff
  5. grumble way downstairs to kitchen for breakfast
    She’s right.
    And I taught her how to shoot before I married her.
    Never leave a weapon in the vehicle unless I MUST for some reason.
    Then it goes into a locked, concealed container.
    I am work from home for over a year.
    Sitting here on the computer, I can lay hands on condition 1 items NOT on my person: suppressed pistol, 9mm pistol, 12ga pump
    Why? Seen the news lately…
6 Likes

Come on people…we’re just a bunch of paranoid gun toting nuts…:rofl:

Confidentially…I practice the “pants on…gun on moniker”…

6 Likes

My extremely left wing son called me a “Right Wing gun toting anarchist”. I hastily corrected him, I’m not a Right Wing gun toting anarchist, I’m a PROUD Right Wing gun toting anarchist. :innocent:

7 Likes

On when I dress and only off when I go to bed or shower. “Be Prepared!” You may not get a chance to retrieve that gun. Want to try an experiment? Open your front (or other) door just a bit. Have a friend or family member bang on the door and come running in, the bang is the door being kicked open. Now see if you can get to the gun (unloaded of course for this) before the “intruder” gets to you. I’m betting most times you will not make it. Mine will be in my hand in less than 2 seconds. Think about it!

5 Likes