Fighting a Home Invader - Into the Fray | US Concealed Carry Association

How would you handle a home invasion? Do you carry your EDC gun in your home? Are you ready if someone breaks in? I know a lot of people who are not ready. Here is why I think that it’s a mistake to put your gun away when you get home from work.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/into-the-fray-316-fighting-a-home-invader/
1 Like

A local PD Sgt came to my home and told me that it was “odd” that I carried at home and that gave him cause to come in and take all my firearms… I told him to go ahead and I’d be rich and he’d be unemployed… I still have my firearms and I still carry at home.

6 Likes

Perfect reason as to why I carry at home. One other thing too. The fact the intruder says WTF bro!? To me was priceless.

3 Likes

ok…now that’s priceless!!

1 Like

I started practicing concealed carry by carrying around the house while waiting for my CWP. I have no reason to stop now

2 Likes

@Danny28 Really? Did he give you any basis or law to support his comment? That’s crazy!

1 Like

I carry 24/7 and at home. Always have.

No. He was just trying to be an a$$ and show that he was the “boss”. I actually found out today that he is a problem child on the department-- really doesn’t surprise me. He certainly didn’t get his job nor promotion by skill and ability, but by, aaaa, mmmmm, lets just say “affirmative action”.

1 Like

Always carry at home we have had home invasions in this area.If the gun isn’t on you when the door is kicked in you probably will never get to it in time.

1 Like

I’m a relatively new gun owner and I always carry at home and I alway take a gun to the bathroom! Sig P226!

Carrying while at home is a good idea. What about those of you with a steel security door, do you still carry? I’m just curious because we have a security door and a security frame outside the windows. Somebody could eventually break through but by then I’ll be fully armed with what I have available and maybe even the cops arrived. If somebody got on the roof they could get into the closed in patio area but that would be heard as well. Anybody in a similar situation and still carry? I’m just trying to gain some perspective.

1 Like

My EDC gun is always on me even at home.

1 Like

@Jason148 I have a similar situation, doors are always locked and a dog that knows his job. Just Nancy and I so we have fire arms located thru out the house yet I still carry 24-7. :+1:

2 Likes

Good to know. How do you hide guns in the house that are outside of your gun safe? I have two kids so I was actually thinking about it too. Maybe getting a pistol box to keep them out if they find it but something that is quick access.

1 Like

There are many different kinds or you could make one. I bought one years ago from Sportsmans Guide.
I keep a revolver tucked into the side of the couch. :+1:

2 Likes

Got a soft spot for law enforcement and sincerely thank all who have risked their lives. I,m 83 years old, in good shape, have always been security minded, but I don’t carry in my home. However, I spend a lot of time at my desk upon which rests a Ruger LCP with one in the chamber. It goes with me everywhere in a pocket holster, just in case, There a Glock 10 in a fast acquisition pistol safe in my gym room, a Kahr 9 under the back cushion of my family room couch, and a Remington 12 Guage standing by in my office closet if I can get to it. Its fully loaded and the first two rounds are birdshot because buckshot goes through walls. Everything after that is more serious, plus 5 more rounds of buckshot on the stock. Plus, there’s a 38 revolver in my bedroom and a Ruger 357 magnum within feet of my desk. Not to mention a Colt model 1909 45cal service revolver. Buts that’s not loaded. Its a real antique that I bought for $25.00 from the back of an Argosy magazine when I was a 15 year old kid living in the Arizona desert just north of Phoenix, AZ, circa 1950s. I know that the ability to keep firepower close at hand is not an option for those with young children, and I certainly don’t recommend it. Real weapons must be safely stored wherever children are present. I taught mine how to handle guns and how to use them when they were about ten years old, but I never left the weapons easy to hand until they were over 18. My father was a grocer in Detroit, Michigan and got robbed on a regular basis at least twice a year for thirty years. He kept a colt 38 special under his belt, and nothing scared him. He once reached across the counted and grabbed the barrel of a colt 45 semiauto that was pointed right at his gut. The guy pulled the trigger and the gun misfired! The only thing that ever got to my dad was when a bad guy pointed a gun at my sisters head and said “if the man behind the counter moves, the girl is dead.” He once did a no-no, ran outside and put two rounds into the back of a fleeing robber’s car. The guy was slightly wounded and went to prison, but came back years later to thank my dad for putting him on the straight and narrow! Sorry for such a long post, but there’s a lot to say when you’re as old as me.

2 Likes

PS. My home is well-protected with security doors and a top notch alarm system.

1 Like

When I’m home my AR-15 is in my bedroom along with several spare magazines. My 6" Taurus .357 magnum (my home protection revolver) is right beside me while watching tv or goes with me wherever I am in the house. I live alone so access by children is not an issue. I answer my front door via a doorbell camera with two way communication.

I trust my 1911 and am getting use to carrying it around at home.

1 Like

I think it’s time to look for a new girl friend.

2 Likes