Fighting a Home Invader - Into the Fray | US Concealed Carry Association

I like that model a lot and used one when I was in the USAF, but unfortunately neve got one.

1 Like

Never had an AR15, but wish I did.

1 Like

How would I handle a home invader who has a gun? First of all, my front door would be secured so if an invader came in I would hear him and not be surprised. As soon as I hear the breaking down of a door or the crashing of glass, I will not be coming out empty-handed. Approaching him, with the invader carrying a weapon and threatening to use it on me, I would shoot first. Once he is down, or the threat has ended, call 911.

1 Like

the only time I’m not armed is when I am at work. I drive truck and my company doesn’t. allow it . orherwises I am always armed

1 Like

Best to be prepared with some firepower! But there are other things to help secure your home with, top-grade alarm systems and heavy-duty, preferably pick-proof deadbolts. I am a retired locksmith, owned my own shop for 47 years. My homes have always been equipped with pick-proof deadbolts, made by Medico, the best in the world. They provide great peace of mind to augment home-based armed response. They are expensive, approx. $200 to $300 apiece, butt hey are worth it. I would not recommend any other brand… The average residential lock can be easily picked in only a few seconds by someone with a five minute session on a street corner or on the web. So, its advisable to do something about that. But for those who cannot afford those expensive deadbolts, there is another solution which is relatively unknown to the public and even to some locksmiths.

I used to offer my customers the option to make their locks pick-resistant. It is relatively inexpensive if done by an honest, professional locksmith who offers that service. It is achieved by rekeying the lock to keys that are specially cut on a code machine to have a combination of high and low cuts. That alone makes it more difficult to pick the locks. But there is more to the process. In addition, I removed some of the smooth top pins from the locks and replaced them with “spool pins”. They tend to jam in the cylinder chambers. The combination of the two procedures makes it much more difficult to pick most locks, even in some Kwikset brand locksets.

Kwikset does make some locks that are pick resistant, but the locks are of weak construction. Best to replace them with a stronger brand. but I would not recommend anything other than commercial grade locks for this purpose. Hope this is helpful to some of you carry at home members. I am glad to share any information I can to help make your homes more secure. Better to prevent trouble than have to face it with gun in hand.

Thumbs up!

I, too, am a locksmith.

Medico is so far over the top for home security. Schlage Everest will be just fine for a home at about $30- $50 a pop. Medico are registered key blanks, meaning only ONE locksmith in a geographical area will even have the blanks, so if you lose a key, it would cost hundreds to get replaced. I’ve had customers put $300 deadbolts on $30 doors from Menards, and that door right next to a nice plate glass window. Better to think about your situation than just throw money at it.

Better to spend the big money on hard core doors, reinforced jams and ballistic film (or glass) on windows.

I have cameras all around my home, but those are just advanced warning-- they won’t get the police there any faster.

Yes I carry at home. If there is a home invasion I don’t want to be without a weapon.

1 Like

I recommend a S&W M&P 15 Sport II. Around $750 on Grab A Gun site. Gets very good ratings from other owners. Check this YouTube video. These guys do no nonsense testing and this was their No.1 choice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cG2uYTuVrE. I own this rifle and have never had an issue. Dead nuts accurate with a Vortex red dot site. Good luck and stay safe.

1 Like

It is a great pistol. I wore one in a shoulder holster when I was in a tank in the reserve.

In the video, you say, “The girlfriend sat there calmly…” You are presenting under the assumption that she had a firearm in her purse, and that the purse was nearby. It’s neither clear that her purse is nearby nor that she has a firearm. Perhaps she was a bit panicked after having the shotgun pointed at her; besides, she moved once the fighting started. This isn’t a Hollywood movie where everybody gets to rehearse. If she had a firearm handy, she would have likely produced it if she had any training.

As for Blue Shirt, he did the right thing. It’s not clear he had a firearm on his person, and he was already outdrawn. All of the instruction I’ve seen – mostly on the Internet (classes are bought out) – indicates that going for the firearm when outdrawn in close quarters is the best option.

If I had my wits about me as Blue Shirt did, I might have approached the assailant in the same manner. Had I time to conceal a knife or other weapon before the physical response, that would have been my approach. A knife inside the length of the shotgun barrel would be more effective than the shotgun.

1 Like

My Home defense - Malinois and H&K

1 Like

We’re in a upscale neighborhood surrounded by pockets of problem areas. There have been a couple of home invasions so in addition to my EDC and an excellent alarm system we have “burglar bars” jammed against the door handles of the entry doors. There inexpensive and available at most big box hardware stores. It will not be 100% effective but it will buy you time to react.

Just as easy to keep a GOOD knife, that you know, on your person - BOTH never hurts either as far as that goes

about that girlfriend … as much as the intruder and boyfriend were thrashing around in that close space jumping into THAT fray could have proven to be dangerous - As soon as the “boys” were in the stairwell she was hightailing for a weapon would be my guess