Just buying ammo is suspicious

There is so much wrong with this article that I don’t know where to start, but apparently going to an LGS every week for a month to buy ammo is grounds for a warrant to search your place. After all the scary words in the article about the number of handguns and “ghost guns” the guy had, apparently the only thing he really did wrong is having a rifle with too short a barrel. According to the US constitution he did nothing wrong, but he’s headed to prison for almost 4 years.

5 Likes

So the police got a warrant because the guy bought “too” much ammo? I cannot believe that was not thrown out of court for illegal search due to no probable cause. I am sure there will be an appeal and hopefully a reasonable judge will be available.

after a concerned gun retailer reported Alec Hollenbeck making large purchases of ammunition weekly for more than a month

Hopefully another story explains who the FFL is so firearm owners in the area know who to avoid doing business with.

7 Likes

Next will be us guys who reload. Someone will report he has x pounds of powder and can reload x number of rounds so he’s a threat! Asinine world!

9 Likes

Just found this thread researching this story. The title made me laugh.
https://www.longislandgunclub.com/forum/crimes/new-york-crimes/902643-what-upstate-gun-dealer-needs-a-beating

While I think the dealer is an azzhole this guy is absolutely a criminal. It’s not just the SBR, most ARs are illegal in NY (I’m sure he knew that and why he bought 80% lowers online) and he had several illegal suppressors. He was absolutely breaking a bunch of state and Federal laws so I have zero empathy for him.

Only because the government decided we are not “allowed” to have certain arms. Just think, if the NFA passed as orginally written, handguns would be NFA items, if we could own them at all. Even the NRA president at the time stated he did not believe they should be legal for private citizens.

1 Like

Agreed but the answer to not liking a law is NOT breaking it, it’s fighting for it to be struck down or heading to a better place.

Breaking laws is the business of the left. We are better than that. I didn’t like the laws and government in New York. Sold my ranch and moved to a gun friendly state in the South. Now this state is turning into a liberal hell hole too so I’m abandoning the east coast for good as I type this.

7 Likes

I left NY years ago so I really don’t know much at all about their laws beyond their concealed carry and handgun possession laws that prevent me from visiting there armed. I had no idea about ARs being basically illegal there. Just out of curiosity, can you give a little detail?

2 Likes

Enzo, nevermind. I just looked up what all is banned in NY. Basically anything that looks “a little scary to a liberal” sums it up. Even a thumbhole in the stock makes a gun illegal! I had no idea.

6 Likes

This is one reason why people should buy their ammo on-line from multiple sources. Too much can go wrong relying on a single source. You don’t know if the LGS turned the guy in to LE authorities who might have been strong-arming the LGS with some sort of prosecution unless he gave them something. Happens a lot in drug cases. “Tell us who your supplier is and maybe we won’t charge you.”

1 Like

Don’t go there with a firearm of any sort is the best advice I can give you.

3 Likes

2A lovers need to find out who the scumbag FFL dealer was and post that business everywhere to NOT do business with!

4 Likes

Soda, plastic straws, Trump bumper stickers, freedom, defending your life, Oreo’s, etc.

6 Likes

Yeah pretty much everything is banned in NY nowadays. And it was not that way just a decade or so ago. I had a full unrestricted carry, ARs and just about any toy I wanted. In CT I owned legal full auto stuff. Now you can’t even own an AR. Screw the northeast. Never setting foot up there again.

And I’m my experience, not saying that this dude did this, people tend to think their gun stores are run by likeminded people and that’s not the case. Probably got chummy with the owner and started bragging about his illegal home made toys. Now the dealer is basically obligated to tell his local ATF guy because if he doesn’t he becomes an accessory by association.

Dumb all around…

4 Likes

That is not what the story stated. It stated that the FFL reported him for buying large amounts of ammunition. Is that 3 boxes, 4 boxes, $1,000, or what? Better watch your back, we won’t support your illegal activities, either. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

It sounds like they likely also used this guys instagram posting with a photo of his “assault rifles” to help obtain the warrant.

But I certainly wouldn’t want to shop at a store that is going to report me to the police based on their opinion of how much ammo is too much. Though I purchase most of my ammo online so I’m sure the NSA and ATF have plenty of illegally obtained “evidence” to use against me when they deicide that anyone who purchases a case of ammo to practice with must be a criminal.

Would be nice if a pro self defense group took up this man’s case and used it to get rid of the NFA and it’s arbitrary and unconstitutional pistol/rifle classifications. Along with striking down NY’s insane anti self defense laws.

9 Likes

This story makes California look pretty progressive since
we can’t find significant amounts of ammo on the shelves around here to even raise an eyebrow,

3 Likes

not in NY unfortunately

3 Likes

I don’t know what their table of allowances are, but nowadays it doesn’t make much sense to buy bulk ammo from an LGS anyway. Not that this guy was buying in bulk, but guilty of making too many trips.

1 Like

Oh NO! Oreo’s! Banned? Please dear GOD NOT Double Stuffed ! I’m ‘addicted’ to
the chalk-like synthetic cream appearing substance on that no way is it chocolate cookies on both sides!
Next you’re going to say Diet Coke is bad for you too!

7 Likes