IWB position

Looking for General consensus. I carry my weapon between my front right pocket and back pocket. It is comfortable and it works well in that position.

My concern. I feel concerned in crowds that in this position an attacker could recognize the weapon and get to it before I am aware of the threat.

I’m looking for your thoughts and if this is something you feel is a concern. Second, I have consider moving it to the front but that is also a little difficult while in the crowd. Thoughts?

1 Like

I carry in about the 4:00 position. If its in the 3:00 position, with my body type, the butt sticks out, so by rotating it a little further around, I get the butt to run along my back. Earlier in the day doesnt work for me. I carry a commander 1911 (COO to be exact) and I carry at work where I am a desk jockey, so its in the way and uncomfortable for long stretches to be sitting with AIWB. YMMV

4 Likes

Well I carry 2 ways, appendix and 4:00 o’clock which is how you carry. I feel comfortable at 4 o’clock. Maybe you are really printing a lot and that’s why you feel uncomfortable in a crowd. Well at that position is easy to conceal. What type of firearm do you carry? I have been trying appendix lately because it’s better for me to access my firearm. If you wear the proper clothing and conceal your weapon I don’t see any problem with you being in a crowd unless it is visible. Long story short I wouldn’t be concerned.

3 Likes

When I carry IWB (about 15 pounds ago), I carry at ~8:00 (I’m left-handed).

I agree with @Johnnyq60

4 Likes

I carry right behind my hip bone, which will be around 3:30. I find the 4:00 position too far back for me to be able to consistently draw effectively.

I think this should be similar to your position between the front and back pockets. For most situations, I’m not too worried about someone getting to the firearm before me because I feel that my arm and elbow generally protects that area.

If you are being specifically targeted by an attacker that is going to attempt to disarm you or prevent you from getting to your firearm as the first step, I’m not sure that any carrying position is safe. At this point, only your situational awareness may prevent that attacker from getting your firearm.

6 Likes

Where I carry, the muzzle is just in front on my right rear pocket. In a normal walking stride, my right arm is moving back and forth past the pistol. It would be hard for
A:Someone to know I’m packing
B:Get close enough to have a remote chance of grabbing my gun
C:Getting my gun without me beating them unconscious.
Keep calm, and carry on.

8 Likes

Thank you. I have been carrying a colt combat commander for now. I did purchase a hellcat that I think will be a better concealed weapon as soon as I can find 9mm ammunition. I will accept your thoughts and not worry about it. Thanks again for all replies

2 Likes

Lol. Tag me in coach

3 Likes

4 o’clock. Done. Can wear anything. Can get to it when driving. Can sit easily. It isn’t pointed any anyone ever, and is never pointing at important bits on the wearer.

3 Likes

I carry at 5:00. This prevents printing best, given the shape of my waistline and dimensions of my gun. Probably not the best position for speed of presentation.

4 Likes

Situational awareness, who is around you? Who is paying attention to you? Who looks to be a possible threat? “be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet" General Mattis.

8 Likes

I carry 300-3:30 I too have the “soccer butt” :rofl:
Like Todd said situational awareness plus, in some self defense classes I have taken we were taught to use our elbow to protect your pistol, untill you can get some space between. (If GOD forbid your ever in that situation)
Just keep your head on a swivel and observant.

2 Likes

Brian, holster position is a very subjective item. I think a position that can provide a level of confidence and convenience is a cross draw. It is very easy to carry while seated and with the butt of the weapon position to the front of the body, the butt does not print. I also like my shoulder holster for a1911. I wear it in a cross draw position.
Wear what is comfortable.

Good Luck

2 Likes

I carry both IWB and OWB, at the 3-5 positions (3 O’clock, 4 O’clock, 4:30 or 5 which is basically between your front pocket and back pocket. Depending on how I feel, what is comfortable at the time, and what I am wearing.
At 3 O’clock, there is nothing that really gets noticed, and if it did, it is where my arm hangs at my side, and an attacker would have to actually come up on my side or reach from behind… lift up my covering garment, and sorry… unless I am totally out in orbit and not paying attention… or there is a naked lady 34 - 24- 34 running around or something… I doubt the attacker could be successful.

If 3 or 4 …4:30… is comfortable, carry that way. In other words, if between your front pocket and back pocket is comfortable, carry there… but just remember you have it, and always be aware of your surroundings and who is around you.

2 Likes

I carry at the 4 o clock position and cant the weapon so the grip is facing my chest. It allows a faster draw and better concealment for me. This cant also would make it harder for someone to just grab and pull my gun out of the holster as pulling straight out is facing forward and not straight up. when walking with my arms down my side, I can feel the top of the slide with my forearm easily without ever looking any different than just normal. If you are worried about it, have your weapon empty and holstered and have your spouse or a friend try and grab it and see if you can react. Practice some weapon retention techniques. Better yet, get one of the practice plastic guns that fit a holster just like a normal gun and do it with that.
If you are going places where there is more crowding happening, get a higher level retention holster that makes it harder to draw. If you do this, you must practice a lot on your draw. This is where you would balance a faster draw time vs higher weapon retention and neither one is wrong. They each have pros and cons.

1 Like

Great advice. Thanks

1 Like

1st whatever you decide, always carry the same position. It’s like tying your shoes. You don’t think about it when you need to draw. I’ve always carried 4 o,clock (IWB) and can draw close to 1.5sec. As far as printing there are many factors, type of shirt (no light colors or polyester), body type, and obviously gun type. In public keep your hands away from your firearm. Don’t draw attention to the fact your are armed. If someone tries to grab your firearm you should spin clock wise using your week hand to stiff arm while grabbing gun with your right hand. Basically you have to visualize and practice. A LOT!

2 Likes

Definitely carry where you are comfortable with it but also where you have trained to draw from. In the case of someone getting to it before you and they have the advantage of surprise, there’s not much of a chance to get to it before them or by the time they attack.
If you are aware of a potential need to draw in a situation, your deductive reasoning of risks and your draw training will be your best ally… in my opinion.
I was in a situation (2 years ago this very day as a matter of fact) where an SKS was pulled on my family. I did not draw my weapon. I deduced that if I drew my weapon, it would only aggravate the situation. Fortunately, the incident ended with no harm to anyone. But, in those circumstances, it’s a matter of seconds and milliseconds so there’s not a lot of grey time to make the black and white decisions. IWB is (again in my opinion) one level of providing a barrier to a potential threat gaining access to your firearm no matter where you carry it.

3 Likes

@Steven147 that’s the same way I carry mine!!

3 Likes

Great advice.

1 Like