I've been carrrying for 5 years now. One "regret" I have

Janes626, you pack some heat for sure. You & i have learned to just do what ever we need to do & not worry. My wife & I was out shopping , the store was pack, really busy. There was a new gun owner who just got the permit to carry. Not sure what he was thinking but he pulled is weapon out to do the adjustment thing…Then he put it way , but to late, people was freaking out, security called & police, not good… And when we walked by him, we could see his weapon. But he was thinking that others could see he had one, but then he pulled it out, then everyone knew.

2 Likes

Dumb people with guns…bad combination.

6 Likes

Yes, some have larger learning curves than others. I find it is more common for those that did not learn firearm safety as a young child that are more prone to these types of issues as it is all new to them. Though, some have learned bad habits over time and may make errors, too. That is one reason for training and practice - minimize mistakes. At least exposing a firearm does not harm anyone as NDs can and do.

5 Likes

I think children are a true gift. But I’m a bit upset with parents who take their children to a gun range, shoot & not be parents. i had a bad issue arise at a shooting range. The parents were shooting the riffle’s and left their handguns in table bench behind them. The children picked them up & was pointing them at us, had their fingers on the triggers. And one was saying bang, bang, pointing the guns right at us.I felt very uneasy, and then they pointed the guns at each other. i told them to place the guns back on the bench. They did so, then I went to the parents & had a chat about that just happened. Their answer was ( guns are loaded but they would not shoot you) was told to relax.

4 Likes

@Paul201,

It’s disheartening and infuriating to hear that happened to you. That would be a prime example for you to make a direct report for a MAJOR safety violation to the Range Safety Officer and/or the Range Management/Owner. Those parents should have their range access removed.

There is no excuse for what they did (and failed to do). Being told to “relax” is also absurd.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

WOW, I definitely would have immediately notified an RSO or employee at the range, and depending on how it was handled, the police, too. Ranges normally have cameras, so the egregious behavior should be available for any investigation into the incident. Pointing a firearm, loaded or not, at someone is not only unsafe, but a very serious offense.

I fully agree with @Frank73 that those people, at minimum, should have their range privileges revoked, and also make all the other ranges in the area aware. They admitted it was not negligence, but brazen disregard for their childrens’ lives and all others nearby - and pure stupidity - on their part, not their unwitting children.

5 Likes

At this range there is no RSO to file a complaint. & no camera’s at the range. And after talking to the parents, with B.A., i didn’t trust them for a second. No need to get into a gun fight with stupid people ( CANT FIX STUPID) i said nothing more,. Just turned walked way. Got into my 4x4 & drove off the range. And at that time, not sure what I was thinking, and your right should have called the Sheriffs office, but no names or plate number on the car. But in the end this didn’t turn out bad for myself, the kids or the parents. But one day things my go real bad for the children as well as the parents, if they continue to let hand guns lay around and don’t teach the children about guns & safety rules with guns.

5 Likes

Have you tried a second snubby as a NY reload?

4 Likes

@PlumRed , hey, sorry to be so late to the story.
I just wanted to second @Chris3 's suggestion.
Having a snub 38 at the waist or shoulder and another on the ankle (if not waist or 2nd waist/cross-draw) would give you parity. B’sides easier to carry speed loaders for the same ammo. That said, keep trying with your 226, it’s actually quite carry-friendly.

3 Likes

Stay with it, Just research carry systems. In winter I carry a 1911

3 Likes

In your place I use the Glock 43X. Light, comfortable, concealable and enough rounds.

4 Likes

Happy anniversary @Valerio

3 Likes

I don’t know where you live or what the laws are as far as printing goes but it has been my experience the general public is oblivious to it as they are almost everything else in their daily lives. I used to carry a single stack pistol but with everything going on in society I decided to switch to the larger double stack 9 mm so generally my carry gun is a Sig P229 or p226 regardless of the season. I’ve never been a big fan of switching between gun types as I believe the familiarity of carrying a gun with the same manual of arms is very beneficial in a stressful situation. Also I’ve learned over the last 14 or so years that people are capable of carrying a larger gun than they think they are and still concealing them very well
Another point made very clear to me in my early training is that there’s good benefit in carrying a service grade pistol. Many of the concealed carry pistols wouldn’t hold up to the training I do and besides why would I want to carry a pistol of any less quality then a soldier or a police officer would carry. Yes they tend to be a little more expensive but I look at it as more of an investment in me and my loved ones than I do an expenditure. Same thing goes for training. Just my thoughts🤷🏼‍♂️

8 Likes

I’m curious to know which ones you think wouldn’t hold up?

2 Likes

That’s a good question and thanks for asking.
I think it would be fair to say, without naming brands, most guns under $500
People take these guns and occasionally go to the range, in which case they work fine. But if your more than the occasional shooter ( you’re shooting OVER a 1000 rounds a month) that’s where I start to see problems show up.
In my experience, the people who train seriously for self-defense situations or have careers where they’re required to carry a gun, don’t have those guns in their holster. That’s where I start seeing the Sig’s, Glocks, H&K, some Smith and WessonM&P and the occasional Kimber to name a few. I think many in the general public assume a gun is a gun is a gun. But if you spend enough time around them you quickly learn you get what you pay for, with rare exceptions.
Again the information I’m giving is what I’ve seen from my personal observations.

And before the flames start, I realize the more expensive guns are financially out of the reach of some people. I used to be one of those people but I realized my gun wasn’t for rabbit hunting and it had to be ultra reliable and capable of all the training/practice I thought I needed to be proficient as a concealed carrier, so I scrimped and saved so as to be able to trade as soon as possible.

4 Likes

Though the initial cost is higher, it is the cost of ammo (aka practice) where the cost is really noticed. As you stated, a few hundred rounds or more per week/month, whatever one’s frequency, adds up quick. How much does the ammo, alone, cost after a decade? I don’t really want to add up those numbers. Likely at least several really nice vacations or several or more cases of some fantastic wines or Scotch. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

:smiling_face:Very true!
I can only imagine what I’ve spent for ammunition, fuel and lodging over the years to travel to my training classes not only would’ve paid for some very nice wine but also some very nice cruises.
In the end it’s all about priorities and those are different for each one of us

3 Likes

Expense of training Live fire is part of the reason dry-fire practice is so important. It is very obvious to me the people who dry-fire practiced between our range sessions because there is a noticeable difference in their gun handling skills when they come back to the range

2 Likes

Studies have shown bad guys look for the easiest marks. They may be stupid but they’re not dumb.

2 Likes

Concealable enough (with good equipment) so that you can add an optic & flashlight and still conceal.

2 Likes