It’s 5PM. Do you know where your gun is? Boy Dies After Accidental Shooting

Involved were 12- and 15-year old boys.
What firearm storage law applies in this case?
What charges await the [adult] gun owner?

5 Likes

This is an excellent example of why everyone should learn the rules of safe firearm handling. Even if they live in a gun free home.

Keeping firearms locked up when we aren’t in control of them is a very good idea for keeping kids and criminals from accessing them.

10 Likes

@BeanCounter >> So of course we can expect more gun laws to stop this but not mention how his friend got the firearm that his friend shot himself with. But he was a smart kid ( WAS ):question:
:us::us::us:

3 Likes

Accident happened on Saturday and yet, no one has come forward as the gun owner.
There’s just no excuse.
Not sure if this 2019 ordinance applies to Chula Vista.

Safe Storage of Firearms in the Home
New ordinance takes effect September 12, 2019
The San Diego City Council approved a new ordinance on July 30, 2019, that requires San Diegans to safely store their firearms at home, whether in a safe or other locked box, or with a trigger lock.
Safe storage is the key to responsible gun ownership. San Diego City Attorney Mara Elliott introduced the ordinance as a way to reduce gun-related violence, suicides, accidental shootings by children, and thefts of firearms.
…You can also inquire at any Chula Vista and/or San Diego Police station about obtaining a free gun lock through Project ChildSafe.

1 Like

The ATF trace will find the original owner of the firearm, which might be the person that was the owner of the firearm at the time of the death. It might also be that the 15-year old is the owner of the firearm, not legally, of course.

Not the key, but it can help sometimes. Safes are like ballistic vests, they might make you feel safer, but they cannot prevent all negative outcomes. We know of at least one instance where the safe did not prevent carnage.

1 Like

Hi “Dave17”,

When you have a moment could you share a link to story about the safe? I’m curious what happened. Thank you :smiley:

Best regards,
Jason

1 Like

How sad. California does have a law requiring firearms are purchased with a gun lock/safe/lockbox. You cannot buy a new firearm in California without either being given a lock or providing the manufacturer of your safe which is put on the paperwork (I’m sure to prosecute you later if your gun isn’t secured).

That said, if the gun owner is irresponsible and didn’t secure it or bought it prior to this law, then there isn’t much you can do until a tragedy happens.

As San Diego is turning into it’s own cesspool of sorts, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn the gun was black market acquired and not stolen from his parents.

2 Likes

Yes. In my pocket.

1 Like

@JWM, if you use the “@” symbol in front of the posters name, it will notify that user of your post. As to the safe, I was referring to Sandy Hook. The killer killed his mother first, then got the key to open the safe that held the firearm(s) he used to kill the school children. So much for the California law wherein it is stated that “responsible” firearm owners use “secure” storage; it certainly did not do anything for the mother, nor any of the deceased school children.

1 Like

@Erik10 [quote=“Erik10, post:7, topic:74174, full:true”]
How sad. California does have a law requiring firearms are purchased with a gun lock/safe/lockbox. You cannot buy a new firearm in California without either being given a lock or providing the manufacturer of your safe which is put on the paperwork (I’m sure to prosecute you later if your gun isn’t secured).

That said, if the gun owner is irresponsible and didn’t secure it or bought it prior to this law, then there isn’t much you can do until a tragedy happens.

As San Diego is turning into it’s own cesspool of sorts, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn the gun was black market acquired and not stolen from his parents.
[/quote]

My state also requires a lock when purchased, good point is the info on the map,
I don’t think I saw it. ( good catch )

1 Like

@Dave17 >> refresh my memory “ how did the KID kill his mom “
PS: I remember some network reporting that the “ THE AR. RIFLES NEVER LEFT THE KIDS CAR “ he used a hand gun :question:

https://www.biography.com/crime-figure/adam-lanza
“After firing between 154 rounds in less than five minutes, Lanza turned the gun on himself, fatally shooting himself in the head as responders began arriving on the scene, around 9:50 a.m. His motive for these senseless killings was unclear.

Lanza used a Bushmaster Model XM15-E2S rifle, a type of AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, in the Sandy Hook shooting. An Izhmash Saiga-12, 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun was found in his car. There were also three weapons found next to his body, including a semiautomatic .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle and two handguns.”

1 Like

@Karacal >> I worked in this school and every school in my State. They also demolished that School. Kinda a strange feeling a lot of the buildings I’ve worked in have been demolished before their time.
PS: say high to the furry animals for me.

1 Like

I truly dislike hearing stories such as this, just to sad to hear of when a child is killed because of the negligence of an supposed to be adult.

3 Likes

I agree, but I would surely put more emphasis on the safe way to handle a firearm. I mean, its sad that this kid passed away, but he passed away due to negligence. I don’t condone kids stealing adults guns and bringing them to show and tell. But, if the youngens would’ve been properly trained on how to handle a firearm properly, this catastrophe could’ve been avoided.

3 Likes

Tragedy that could and should have been avoided. Many, many years ago I approached the Principal of my Son’s Elementary School and offered to teach the “Eddie Eagle” gun safety program that teaches children to “Stop! Don’t Touch! Go tell an Adult!”

I was soundly drummed from her office because she wanted no part in teaching children the “Gun Culture”.

I obviously taught my own Son all about gun safety in the home and always kept firearms locked up and away from him.

Very sad.

3 Likes

I guess we can all agree that it was two failures in one incident. Safe handling and storage.

2 Likes