Student, 18, Arrested After Police Say He Plotted Shooting at So-Cal HS

After arresting Villasenor, Lorenz said police found weapons including seven rifles, two revolvers, one handgun and one shotgun at his home. He said they also “seized over a thousand rounds of ammunition.”

He was 18, couldn’t possibly own all weapons.
Shouldn’t the owner be charged as well?
I’m sure there’s at least one CA firearms storage law broken in this case which makes the rest of us law-abiding look bad.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

The parents in that household should also be held responsible and be arrested.

7 Likes

“ Lorenz said police found weapons including seven rifles, two revolvers, one handgun and one shotgun at his home.”

I assume his home was in his parents’ or guardians’ house. Did this sick kid have open access to the firearms or were they locked away in a safe? Should the guardians be arrested for legally having firearms in their home?

Either way glad the authorities actually decided to act before he took action. They usually ignore the clear threats until after people have been harmed.

9 Likes

I’d like to know the manner in which the sicko gained access to firearms. This is an area of interest for me because it’s one of the conditions of my CCW permit, that I don’t endanger children.

The suspect’s parents legally owned the weapons, police told Eyewitness News.

2 Likes

Laws that are being passed such as LOCKING ALL FIREARMS IN SAFES (inaccessible to children) in all households is one law that EVERYONE KNOWS across the Country especially if there are children in the household had better get serious, and additionally, start educating responsibility on gun safety within the household of law abiding citizens if their kids get involved in some situation it’s going to bite back to the parents as well. Things are changing, gun violence is being taken serious across the Country, and action is starting to be addressed, families of victims are being heard, crime are being addressed, and gun control is going to be pressed on hard with gun laws, and it’s not going to go away. Many States want to raise the 18yr age to 21yr to purchase a firearm, ban ALL semiautomatic firearms (rifles and handguns) with detachable magazines, except those with fixed magazines with only 10 rd capacity, and ban high capacity magazines.

1 Like

But we don’t even know for sure if this sicko had access to the firearms. All we know is they were found in the home. I could see the LEOs confiscating the firearms even if they were the property of the parents and stored in a sturdy safe that the sicko couldn’t access.

I’m all for keeping firearms safely stored. All mine are locked away. But I know of many folks whose kids have full access to firearms. These kids use them for hunting and target shooting all the time without incident. There are lots of stories of teens using firearms to defend themselves and their families from home invasions. How many of them would be injured or dead if they couldn’t access those firearms? So I am very leery of going on witch hunts for parents of sick kids. If the parents knew their kids were a threat and still allowed them to have access to firearms then I am all for holding them partly accountable. But this is a slippery slope that rolls right down into the gun banners field of play if we allow our focus to be taken away from these sickos and placed on the guns and the parents.

In this case we don’t even know if the sicko had access to the firearms or if the parents had any idea he was a threat. I know my parents had very little idea of what I was up to when I was a teenager. In this case we are talking about an 18 year old adult by most legal standards. So as someone who believes in the right to keep and bear arms I’m gonna say good job by the person who turned him in and the LEOs catching this sicko before he could act. Hopefully they can keep him from harming anyone in the future.

I’ll be waiting for a lot more evidence of negligence on the parents/guardians’ part before I start calling for the nooses to be thrown over the tree for them.

4 Likes

The unique thing about this case is it’s in Kalifornia.

4 Likes

I have a hard time keeping up with all the new CA anti self defense laws and am not up to speed with all the ones passed last year. Was a “safe storage” law passed last year? I know they have been wanting to pass some ridiculously strict storage laws for awhile but not sure if they have gotten around to enacting them yet.

I think there are some laws about keeping kids from accessing firearms but since this sicko was 18 I don’t think those laws would apply?

3 Likes

And most states and, of course, federal law “allows” ownership of rifles and shotguns by 18-year adults. I am not sure what Cali’s laws are on that aspect, though.

3 Likes

Pretty sure that 18 is still the legal age for owning rifles and shotguns in CA. So it is quite possible that this wanna be mass murderer legally possessed some of the firearms found in the home.

If these threats turn out to be legitimate he will hopefully loose the right to legally posses firearms for a long time. Though that won’t stop him from illegally getting his hands on more firearms or using other methods to harm people in the future.

3 Likes

You mean “Kalifornistan”. :rofl:

2 Likes

I have a tough time with the “Parents should be arrested…” thing. Assuming the parents weren’t complicit. If Kiddo came up with this plan on his own and nobody knew about it, that could have stopped it, then this is ALL on Kiddo.

4 Likes

This kid should receive serious mental behavioral health counseling, and put him on the “RED FLAG” list, well, depending on the outcome of his court case and California laws, and if released, the household may be required to surrender all firearms for a certain amount of time while the kid is living in the home.

1 Like

They might not have known all the facts. They knew enough that they should have done something to stop him. He was a minor. Minors are supposed to be protected by their parents. I am pretty sure it’s a law.

1 Like

My parent would have been in a lot of trouble. I/we did a lot of dangerous, illegal, ridiculously stupid stuff, all of the time. They had no idea what we would do on those summer days while they were at work and, dare I say it, we were free range, no babysitters in sight.

4 Likes

He was 18 so legally an adult not a minor. I have no idea what his parents knew or didn’t know. If they knew he was a serious threat then they should have tried their best to get him some help and done everything they could to try and make sure he didn’t have access to weapons and other tools he could use to do harm. But it is hard to know what other people are truly intending to do unless they tell someone in advance.

Fortunately it appears this sick individual did tell someone. Unlike in many other instances where the danger was clearly known before the event took place, that someone told the authorities and the authorities seem to be taking the threat seriously. At least for the moment. Hopefully this person gets the help they need and/or get put someplace where they can’t act on their apparent intentions to hurt anyone in the future.

4 Likes

He’s 18.
He had a selfie holding what looks like an evil AR-style rifle. Not sure of the legality of it.

3 Likes

I am sorry I thought he was a minor. I don’t know how I didn’t see that. I heard part of the trial on the radio and assumed he was a minor.

1 Like

It just goes to show you . You can fix stupid.:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Now, now, I believe the proper trem is “differently-abled”. :rofl:

2 Likes