Is urgent care considered a hospital in the eyes of the law

Can i legally carry my firearm with my cpl into an urgent care facility? Or is this considered a hospital in Michigan?

2 Likes

What does it say on the front door? If it’s run by the hospital, then the same rules apply. :thinking:
You pays yur nickel and takes yur chances. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good question.

The statute referenced on the USCCA reciprocity map simply says “hospital”

One word line.

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(uu5eeil4ifdkgvmzg3tamxqn))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425o&_vwo_uuid=DD0189FE83600E90DC513FB3B9891A073

Might want to ask a lawyer in MI

1 Like

Can’t you carry in a hospital in MI?

2 Likes

More MI. info. :upside_down_face:

Michigan Concealed Carry Gun Laws: CCW & Reciprocity Map | USCCA 2021-05-18 (usconcealedcarry.com)

“No Weapons Allowed” Signs Enforced?

Are “No Weapons Allowed” signs enforced in Michigan? If yes, violating the sign would be considered to be a crime. If no, violating the sign would not be considered a criminal offense.
No. “No Weapons” signs are not enforced in Michigan.

If you are spotted and the employes ask you to leave, you must or be charged with trespassing. Don’t be seen. :slightly_smiling_face:

Or call 800-674-9779. 24-7-365 friendly help. :grinning:

3 Likes

Nor WI. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Negative.

I always thought that was a weird one to be off limits, but no, can’t carry in a hospital in MI

Me
I’ve legally carried for a long time continuously in hospitals. Like, in the maternity ward, sleeping in the room that night all night, in and out, etc. Like most off limits places, makes no sense to me (in states where it is)

1 Like

I don’t think there has to be a sign to be illegal

WHERE CAN’T I CARRY A CONCEALED FIREARM IN MICHIGAN?

Places off-limits even with a permit/license * A “weapon free school zone,” defined to include any public or private, K-12 school, as well as in vehicles used by a school to transport students to or from school property (although a parent or legal guardian of a student of the school may carry a concealed pistol while in a vehicle on school property, if he or she is dropping the student off at the school or picking the student up from the school);

• A public or private child care center or day care center, public or private child-caring institution or public or private child-placing agency;
  • A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college or university;
  • A sports arena or stadium;
  • A bar or tavern where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises;
  • Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple or other place of worship, unless the presiding official permits the carrying of concealed pistols on that property or facility;
  • An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals;
  • A hospital;

[Mich. Comp. Laws § 28.425o(1)]

More conflicting laws and regulations. :roll_eyes: You pays yur nickel and takes yur chances.
Nathan. P.S. You posted a broken link above. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Have you considered asking an official at the treatment facility?

2 Likes

That would do it Larry wouldn’t it?
Get the answer(s) from the Horse’s
mouth!
I am having a problem w/ my local Costco
this Amazonian Woman (door nazi) has a hard-on for me (and not in a good way!) :laughing:
I’ve talked to the ‘Red Vests’ about her hassling me to no avail
‘No signs on the entrance’ prohibiting me, No one has any idea what their ‘Official’ ruling is
so I just wear a shoulder holster now, if she glares at me I lift me flannel and she is pleased
down to her Gestapo bones, we both have a stalemate
sucks but what r u gonna do.

Read your membership agreement. No guns allowed.

1 Like

No Sh**? Well why didn’t the brain trusts just say that ?
Makes me feel better I didn’t ‘get into it’ w/ them and will be a Sheep, I mean
Member in good standing.
I feel they should post NG signage still. If you are going to let me shop in a
possible slaughter house the least you can do is put up Mem. Agreement signage.
They should change their name to SHEEP-Co. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

One can carry going to a hospital, urgent care center or clinic but leave the weapon locked up in the parking lot. I don’t see the need to carry inside such a facility.

Once people start drawing lines they don’t want to quit. “Shall not be infringed” really doesn’t give much latitude to the anti-gunners

4 Likes

I’m not a lawyer, but here’s what I found from a preliminary Google search (I don’t know if there is a newer definition:

Michigan Legislature, PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT) Act 368 of 1978: Section 333.20106

(5) “Hospital” means a facility offering inpatient, overnight care, and services for observation, diagnosis, and active treatment of an individual with a medical, surgical, obstetric, chronic, or rehabilitative condition requiring the daily direction or supervision of a physician.

However, the Urgent Care’s that I’ve seen often have a mixture of staff that are or are not friendly to firearms (usually a higher percentage are not). If you are being treated, you might need to undress and remove you firearm, e.g. coming in with a cough and the doctor says they need an X-ray to see what’s going on in your chest. Not to mention if there is something more immediate and then having strangers who might or might not know what they are doing move, transport, or secure your firearm that you are still responsible for.

Additionally, since most UC’s are private property, if a staff member feels threatened you could be permanently banned from the facility.

Some options include keeping a safe in your car, or finding a doctor’s office that is 2A friendly that has walk-in hours. At least that way if you are comfortable enough with your doctor you can ask if CCW is supported in their offices.

1 Like

When legal, I choose differently, ,as I see the same need there as most anywhere else
where there are or could be people (or animals), there exists the possibility of having to defend yourself

3 Likes

To make matters more complex, many hospitals are associated with Medical Schools and are considered teaching institutions or “schools”. That one bit me in the ass one time, thankfully their security personnel were very understanding of the grey area the hospital had created and knew I was not willfully breaking the law so they did not give me a hard time. They secured my weapon and gave it back to me later.

6 Likes

Around here, by ‘Law’. I believe it’s only the mental health part of the hospital that is gun free.

Index Utah Code
Title 76 Utah Criminal Code
Chapter 8 Offenses Against the Administration of Government
Part 3 Obstructing Governmental Operations
Section 311.1 Secure areas – Items prohibited – Penalty.

(Effective 5/3/2023)|

Effective 5/3/2023
76-8-311.1. Secure areas – Items prohibited – Penalty.

(1) In addition to the definitions in Section 76-10-501, as used in this section:

(a) “Correctional facility” has the same meaning as defined in Section 76-8-311.3.

(b) “Explosive” has the same meaning as defined for “explosive, chemical, or incendiary device” defined in Section 76-10-306.

(c) “Law enforcement facility” means a facility which is owned, leased, or operated by a law enforcement agency.

(d) “Mental health facility” has the same meaning as defined in Section 26B-5-301.

(e) (i) “Secure area” means any area into which certain persons are restricted from transporting any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.

(ii) A “secure area” may not include any area normally accessible to the public.

(2) (a) A person in charge of the State Tax Commission or a correctional, law enforcement, or mental health facility may establish secure areas within the facility and may prohibit or control by rule any firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive.

(b) Subsections (2)(a), (3), (4), (5), and (6) apply to higher education secure area hearing rooms referred to in Subsections 53B-3-103(2)(a)(ii) and (b).

(3) At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to an area in which a firearm, ammunition, dangerous weapon, or explosive is restricted.

(4) (a) Provisions shall be made to provide a secure weapons storage area so that persons entering the secure area may store their weapons prior to entering the secure area.

(b) The entity operating the facility shall be responsible for weapons while they are stored in the storage area.

(5) It is a defense to any prosecution under this section that the accused, in committing the act made criminal by this section, acted in conformity with the facility’s rule or policy established pursuant to this section.

(6) (a) Any person who knowingly or intentionally transports into a secure area of a facility any firearm, ammunition, or dangerous weapon is guilty of a third degree felony.

(b) Any person violates Section 76-10-306 who knowingly or intentionally transports, possesses, distributes, or sells any explosive in a secure area of a facility.

2 Likes

Did they treat you right there? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like